+ Reply to Thread

RipBot264 or Badaboom?

What are you using and what do you think of it? Any explanations or gripes welcome.
    Fifteen men on a dead man’s chest;
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum;
    Drink and the devil be done for the rest;
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Never heard of RipBot, but Badaboom I use, does the Transcoding pretty fast too using my GTX 285 Video card.

though the developers are a bit lax in updates and new release. seems people ask on their forums, and not much in response back to their customers.

other than occasional statements their working on a new release, or some new software.

I haven't checked for a month, month and half, but I doubt there is a new release or patch or update on the horizon.

Badaboom is very picky about the input files it converts, many times I find I have to convert an AVI file (such as one from my 3D Graphics software, Carrara (6. 7 or 8, doesn't matter), using SUPER, from the version of AVI it renders to, to another version of AVI (I think it has to do with the color bit depth or something, Badaboom always refers to it as some version of BRG, and doing some research in the codecs used by Carrara the various AVI settings have to do with the RGB color variations, but depth etc), Once converted in SUPER, then for some reason Badaboom will accept the input file, and transcode to MP4 or whatever for Youtube, and else where.

when it does work, it does a spectacular job, file sizes are generally very small compared to source size. though I've found out uploading 720 and 1080 res video can still take up quite a bit of space, even in MP4 format or whatever it is that Youtube uses.

if you use Badaboom, just don't be surprised if you have to do some additional Transcoding prior to using it, using some other software.

once the input/source file is acceptable, Badaboom Fly's for GPU transcoding, not sure really with CPU since it can do that too, or so I've read, but I've never dealt with that.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

I'm assuming that it transcodes faster with a faster GPU, and that the quality is no different between the Demo version and the full version. After a month or so of experimenting, I settled on RipBot 264, but if I can cut my times down with GPU encoding and maintain quality, I'll be glad to do that.

Any ideas how a PCI 9500GT would do for Badaboom? My guess is a QX6800 might outrun it with RipBot264.

I haven't had a lot of time with Badaboom yet, but it looks like it lacks a whole lot of control over the file, unless I'm missing something. How does it handle interlaced video? Are there more advanced settings to play with?

What I would probably do with it (if it turn out to be good enough for me) is demux my stuff, transcode, then mux it with AC3 sound since it only does stereo AAC according to the web page.

Most of my current content is ripped from DVD with x264 and AC3 passthru, or HD-DVD VC-1, unconverted with the E-AC3 converted to AC3. I can give specific settings and info, if anyone else here does that sort of thing.

I have a lot of hope for GPU encoding. I feel that ATI should have kept pursuing their solutiong, given their AIW roots. 5 years ago I never would have expected nVidia to be leading this. Or am I missing something?
    Fifteen men on a dead man’s chest;
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum;
    Drink and the devil be done for the rest;
    Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    As soon as Nvidia Switched over to their Unified Stream Processor technology with the G80 series cards (original 8800 Series) this sort of thing was foreseen, at least for the GPGPU type processing.

just wasn't until the G92 redesign before it took off or really grabbed a foot hold.

oddly, ATI was first out of the gate with GPGPU type processing with its Radeon 800/850 and 1800/1900 series with Folding@Home processing, but for some reason those fell to the wayside, and eventually the former 3 ATI generations were no longer supported, then I think ATI got lax when they released the Radeon HD series, Nvidia had already had some ground work layed for implementing this technology eventually. but then again, ATI had some Financial Issues which led to them being bought up by AMD.

But Nvidia, like 3DFX they bought up when went under, have plans for stuff years before its ever released, Geforce 6 and 7 series If I remember had some of 3DFX's planned Voodoo tech in it (Geforce FX was a shoddy implementation/combination of Nvidia and 3DFX tech in one product, Geforce 6 was what FX was supposed to be).

anyways, more back on topic.

as far as Better support and I'm sure updates to current versions of Badaboom (was looking for updates today)

saw this posted on their site from over a month ago.

Badaboom and the new NVIDIA GF100 cards | badaboomit.com

Some of you are probably wondering whether Badaboom will support the latest NVIDIA GTX 480 and GTX 470 cards, code named “GF100”. Well, the short answer is yes, but it’s not ready yet. Badaboom uses an earlier version of Elemental’s video engine code base that requires some updates to work with the latest CUDA driver releases. However, Elemental is currently focused on our enterprise product line, and this is where our GPU development resources are completely committed right now. We’ve made major updates to our underlying video processing engine, which improve on features and functionality along with optimizations for GF100. We are first integrating that into our enterprise products. Support for this engine within Badaboom is currently expected to be available in Q4 of 2010.

The good news is we have taken a deep look at the NVIDIA GTX 480 and GTX 470 cards and the performance potential for Badaboom is excellent! We wish we had the bandwidth to take care of this immediately, but as with all things, we must pick and choose our battles. We are absolutely committed to GPU acceleration.

Which just goes to show, their ability to support multiple products, or devote, organize and prioritize product development, hell, even answer simple questions in their Support forums, is pretty much non existent.

they claim some time Q4 2010, and I'd be damned surprised if there was one.

so basically anyone wanting to use Badaboom, but has some compatibility troubles, be it new GTX 400 series cards, problems with compatible input/source files, are pretty much shit out of luck.

granted I'm sure their more expensive, and more capable Enterprise level products are more important (greater income), but for what amounts to a more or less dumbed down $30 mainstream consumer sample of their enterprise products. I find it hard to believe they can't devote some resources to updating the existing product.

I'm still using it, but any new mainstream products from them, not getting my money (I forget if the existing current version that I bought is eligible for free upgrades or what, have to check on that, but if its not, not going this route again. will just have to get by with CPU based products. or keep using limited functionality of current version.

Here's a link to their Enterprise Software... its basically an add on for assisting with Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 for GPU assistance in video, etc.

Elemental Accelerator Workflow Solution | ELEMENTAL TECHNOLOGIES

I suspect they're working on a new version compatible with CS5 since thats out. or updating the current version for CS4.

but as to settings in Badaboom, I don't remember exactly, But I think the Trial and full version, the only real difference is the Trial is limited to so many transcodings, otherwise its a fully enabled product, and of course unlimited attempts in the full paid version.

most of the techincal stuff you mentioned above was over my head LOL, but as for me, I bought Badaboom as a fast option to convert videos to post on Youtube and else where (Sony PSP, and other media devices). considering I have a card powerful enough to get it done quickly.

as to whether a 9500GT would get it done quick, hard to say, since my lowest end Nvidia card is a 96 Stream Processor 9600 GSO... well, actually now its a 48 Stream Processor GT 220, which is about the same, maybe a bit more in "gaming" performance over a 9500GT, which doesn't necessarily translate in to similar video Transcoding performance, but anyways.

down side is I'm not using either of those cards at the moment, the 9800GTX and GTX 285 are the 2 I use right now.

the others were bought to be used for Folding@Home processing, or are cards from other systems I had. (2x 9600GSO, 2x GT 220, 1x Radeon 2600 Pro, 1x Radeon 4870, and 1x Radeon 4830)

As to Badaboom, I can't say for any certainty, but I wouldn't be surprised if the current version is dead in the water, and down the road they release a new product, once/if their priorities shift back over.

as for myself I think once I can afford it I'll be opting for one of the Pinnacle Studio Products, that can do much of the same stuff, plus has all the Movie making tools and aspects all in one product, especially since I sure as heck can't afford Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 or 5. Sure there is the Mainstream user variants of the Elements series, but I usually find at some point, capabilities I want (Photoshop Elements for example) that can't be added to Elements. usually add ons, and some plug ins, etc.

I just wish they made some "Elements" versions of After Effects, And other Adobe Products to use with their other Elements Products.

anyways.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information