+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Why wont my cd-r play in my jeep stereo?

Ive been burning 700mb, 80 min. cd's...they play fine in my 1987 stereo at home, so why will it not play in my 2000 jeep stereo?
    My friend burned a 74min. cd for me that plays fine in the jeep..does the length of the cd-r really matter or is it another problem?

P.S i got a tip from someone to use musicmatch.com to convert mp's to wav's? I had roxio cd creator that i thought did this. Does anyone have knowledge about this also?

To add one more thing....Not to sound clueless with this whole burning process, but using whichever program, roxio, musicmatch, etc..will it automatically convert my mp3's into wav files? If it had not, than the cd would not have played on my stereo in the house right? Thanks again everyone!!!

Just a note to update this...im comparing the cd my friend burned for me (memorex) and mine (memorex) and on the underside....her's is a bluish color and mine is clear/silverery color.....am i beginning to find my problem here? since hers DID play in my jeep and mine does not.
    Last edited by Punkin; November 11th, 2002 at 03:28 PM.

The capacity of the CD-R shouldn't affect playback. I suspect it's some other problem although I can't say what it might be for certain.

Easy CD Creator is fine for converting mp3's to wav's, no need for Musicmatch, but if you want the best conversion results use something like Exact Audio Copy with the Lame encoder/decoder. It has a decoder offset correction detection option which can help to eliminate the clipping that can occur when decoding some mp3's.

And... Welcome to TechIMO!!

JohnE.

Wink Welcome to Techimo!!

The size shouldn't affect playback. 80min CD-Rs should work.
    If it doesn't play in your carstereo its mostly caused by CD-Rs that are too transparent. Use other brands that are less see-through. The laser in your carstereo is less powerfull. Most of the beam just goes through the CD instead of deflected to the readsensor.

Also be sure to burn at a lower speed (<12x). The quality is much better with lower speeds, so the laser could read the CD-R much better.

BTW, because of this laserproblem you can't use CD-RWs. The laser can't read those burned ON data. With CD-Rs its burned IN.

try imation 48x discs they seem to work pretty good for my delco player in my s10... ibm cdrs aint bad either...

p.s. i use nero.... i hate ez cd creator... its garbage as far am im concerned.
    jokostel
    He who seeks vengeance must dig two graves. One for his enemy, and one for himself.-- Lao Tzu

will it automatically convert my mp3's into wav files? If it had not, than the cd would not have played on my stereo in the house right?
    That was my first thought was that maybe you had burned the wav's as data to the CD-R instead of an audio CD but, as you said, they play in your home stereo.

I don't know if the various popular burning softwares can/will all convert mp3's automatically as I've never used that option. It may work doing that but it's always better to convert to wav beforehand.

One of the top reasons for a bad burn is hard drive fragmentation. Converting and then burning on the fly puts a much larger amount of new data on the drive and deprives you of the opportunity to defrag before burning. Also, as DutchMaster said, burning at a slower speed will help a great deal.

Converting to wav first also gives you an opportunity to open the wav's in an editor and look for potential problems. Try this a few times... you'll be suprised how many mp3's become highly clipped wav's when decoded. This is usually caused by poor encoding by inferior encoders and people with little understanding of what they are doing... they then share the output of their efforts with the world and eventually, your CD-R disk.

JohnE.

If it plays on a home player from 87, the disk is fine. The problem will be in the type of disk used. There was a thread where I wrote about a book and a half on this very same subject not too long ago. Basically, try different brands of CDs until you find one that works for your player. The length of time you leave em in your car also shortens their life- constant hot & cold causes expansion/contraction and eventually they won't play in anything. (For this reason, find a brand that works and wait until they're on a good sale w/MIR.) I recommend FugiFilm in the blue spindles (made in japan) for both quality and longevity.

Here's that thread I was referring to:
    Maxell 40x CD-R disks won't play in Jensen car deck?
    About 5% of the people in the world can't think.
    Another 5% can think and do.
    The remaining 90% can think, but don't.

Retired mostly.
    Not all car stereos play cdr's. And even less play cdrw's.
    It might be just that. Try burning the audio cd in the other mode you have done previously (either mode1 or mode2). My cd player (from 1980's) didn't want to play mode2 audio cdrs but played fine mode1 cdrs.
    -M

Ultimate Member
    Just try a different brand.

~ Brandon

Its the jeep

Jeep stereo's are real sensitive to cdr's They take alot longer to seek and come up. The reason being that, at least for wranglers they don't use a high quality stereo system to lesson the benfit for theft...our wrangler came with a video that even tells us that it might have trouble playing cdr's....best bet would be to try a different brand of disk and see if it works better........get the bets quality you can as this will increase your chance for success....CDRW's will have like no chance to work

Ultimate Member Richard Cranium's Avatar
    I agree w/ John E.
    One of the top reasons for a bad burn is hard drive fragmentation
    That and if the drive is a 40/48x forget trying to burn at 12x or so.

The induced jitter sometimes will make audio CD's non-readable.

It also depends on the color of the cdr media. sometimes, if the disk is blue, and the player's laser is blue, it can't read it. So stay away from colored cdr's...

This is usually only a problem with older players.

Richard,

"That and if the drive is a 40/48x forget trying to burn at 12x or so. The induced jitter sometimes will make audio CD's non-readable." - do you have a link to more info on this?

I have a 40X and currently burn at 12X. I'm a little paranoid as I used to have a lot of problems with an old Creative 6X burner. When I got the 40X I tried a couple audio CD burns at 24X and the resulting CD's had audible clicks so I've dropped down to 12X. Perhaps I would do better at 16X or 20X?

JohnE.

Originally posted by Richard Cranium
    That and if the drive is a 40/48x forget trying to burn at 12x or so.
    The induced jitter sometimes will make audio CD's non-readable.
    Yeah could you explain...
    I mean the jitter and glitches in the music are usually worst when you burn at 40 speed then 12 speed IMO.

Ultimate Member Richard Cranium's Avatar
    Another problem with high-speed drives, especially the high-speed writer, is that the drives are all optimized for the fastest write speed, and error rates tend to increase when you drop the speed, because of jitter
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,481315,00.asp

Most of the burning I do is between 12x and 16x, on burners whose max speeds is 12-24x

I've not attempted personally to use my 40x at low speeds.

Just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents of experience. I'm a dj and i've burned about 600 cdr's with roxio(use to be adaptec) easy cd creator 5 platinum with updates off roxio's web site. I have several old and new cd players and all discs play perfect on all players. I use a creative cdrw and record at 8x. To convert my mp3's to wave i use the simplest software i could find, which is decodepro, i downloaded for free off of download.com.

DLHUTCHENS, welcome to TechIMO
    The impossible takes more time,and costs more money.
    Check out my band Saving Silence

I KNOW THE ANSWER!!!!!!!

I have a new JEEP, and have experienced the same problems. It is not the write speed or the burner brand. It is the CDR. Mopar stereos, particularly the new rounder models, are extremely picky about CDRs. You say that it won't work, but give it a couple of minutes and the laser will finally pick up the track. This is a real pain, and is unnecessary. I have come up with a few solutions...

1.) DO NOT use black-bottom discs.

2.) DO NOT use cheap no-name discs.

3.) DO NOT use gold-bottom discs. (even if they say "high quality music CDR." TDK for example).

4.) Memorex "Music CDRs" always work!!!! These are relatively cheap and easy to find.

5.) Blue-bottom discs also work well.

Follow these guidelines and you won't have any problems!!!
    Last edited by vicarious george; January 18th, 2003 at 08:15 PM.

I use Memorex, an excellent brand. Their CD-R's are green, and recently I have been using the CD-burner on my new computer to burn a personal CD-RW, with my favorite songs on it. The CD-RW's are blue, and when I pop it into my sister's walkman, it sounds good! However, it will not work on my REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY (I mean, really) OLD Stereo CD reader. The thing is so old, it barely read regular CD's. Still, though, memorex is a good brand, and BTW, I've never bought any CD-R's that are not green and CD-RW's that are not blue or green.

I have an alpine cd player in my car and usually burn at 24x and have never had a problem with it playing the discs and to top it all off I use ez coaster creator 5.0

Fellas!!!!!!

This is a specific problem with Mopar radios. Whether or not a disc plays in some other radio is irrelevant. This problem has been addressed by Daimler Chrysler. They recommend changing the media brand, but make no guarantees, as their radios are only considered to be CD players, NOT CDR players...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information