+ Reply to Thread

Thread: spdif

jak

spdif

hey just want to double check, a spdif out on a digital coaxial will plug into any digital coaxial in on an reciever and still keep the 5.1 channels right.
    god every worker in local stores round here are idiots. i love asking them brain busters, and they never have the answer, sometimes i just test em even though i know teh answer you know to see who has best cust. support, no one can answer my question, not radio shack, best buy, or hhgregg or whatever its called.

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    "S/PDIF--The Sony/pPhillips Digital interface connector provides a way to transmit digital sound directly [emphasis supplied] to or from a soundcard without [emphasis supplied] coverting it to to analog format.

Digital DIN--A 9-pin digital interface used to connect multiple-speaker digital sound system such as Logitech SoundMan Xtrusio series, the Cambridge Sound Works DeskTop Theatre 5.1 series..."

Citation q.v. "Finally a ..." in IMO Forum.

Errr...the whole idea behind SPDIF is to use a single one--to-one connection and avoid the space requirements and "noise" pick-up of multiple analog connnectors.

S/PDIF is fairly ubiquitous if not universal while Digital DIN is Proprietory.

DIGITALD G
    Last edited by MegalosSkylaki; November 27th, 2001 at 01:35 PM.

jak
    umm ok
    thanks for the definition but i already new that, i just wantedto know if a spdif would go into any standard digital coxial input
    jak

Sounds a tad like my Post, item # 3, at this thread .

Personally, I don't see why not and I believe others are doing it.

Still, my concern which dates back to the era of blown speakers, is resistance and "juice" draw. That's why I proceed gingerly when it comes to audio connections.

Let's see if we can can a definitive answer specifically to s/pdif out (non-optical) to digital in but looks the same to me and the answer to my Post woukd seem to suggest yes.

jak
    you know i thought the same exact thing as you, otherwie you wud see it avertised on special receivers and what not
    thanks for the reassrance
    jak

Well...Like I said ..I would still triple check stuff with audio. connections and power etc.DOOOG

The whole deal assumes, of course, that your PC system/sound card is capable of producing/passing/otherwise spitting out a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal. If it is, then most DD receivers will autodetect it and you're good to go.
    There's only two things in life. But I forget what they are.

Can't the Receiver --with its built in decoder--simply take the signal and formulate it as 5.1? Why does it need 5.1 to start with?
    I thought only one 5.1 decoder was necessary so long as info from 4-channels was available.

Remember, channel five is real 1+2 combined (center) while the '.1' is the subwoofer which basically is a low-frequency extractor which is where some of the separate sub-woofer power goes into internal signal processing..

The key it would seem is to keep the two rear channels separate. Dolby Sourround, for example uses on one rear channel even if it has two spekers.

Some Dolby Surround systems just used one rear speaker for this reason. What really distinguishes Dolby Digital Surround (5.1) is the rear channels (L & R) separation which is absent in Dolby Surround.

AUDIOPHILED G

Doog

In a nutshell, the digital bitstream that comes out of the card has a data tag that says "Lookee here, this is an UN decoded 5.1 signal" THEN the receiver decodes it. It doesn't get decoded twice, it just comes off of what ever medium it's coming off of (Typically a DVD) encoded as that bitstream. Embedded in there is both the left and right surround channel information, infromation about the LFE (subwoofer) channel, in which case the subwoofer only receives signals that the original mix intended to be put there, not jut everything below a specific fequency. Similarly the center channel has specific encoding which is more complex than your basic L+R=C that you would find in an older Pro Logic or similar system, intended to keep the center channel firmly centered and not wandering off to one corner of the room or another.

All of this was done to enhance channel separation beyond what was possible in the older, analog surround systems. If the receiver doesn't have the right decoder it will either ignore the signal or play the thing back as regular stereo, ignoring the extra decoding information (all of this extra steering stuff is embedded in a two channel bitstream).

So much for digital clarity, huh???
    There's only two things in life. But I forget what they are.

Hmmm..so you are saying you don't need to decode twice--hence I'm right about that--but you do need to encode in the first place beyond the simple 4 channel I described?? If that' so--makes sense to this DooG.

ThanX for the information which means a 5.1 encoded medium is necesssary. Actually, I kinda understood that but didn't exactly say that. Got carried away with maintaining distinction between Dolby Surround.

ThanX again.
    DOOOOOOG

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information