+ Reply to Thread

Question V92 Modem - "Excessive Line Current"

PROBLEM: The dial up modem at home stopped working the other day. This is the 3rd modem to burn up in the last couple of years. I replaced it with a V92 internal modem last night. When attempting to dial in to out ISP I started receiving the "Excessive Line Current" error message and the modem would immediately disconnect.

INSTALLATION: The modem is plugged into a regular telephone jack (analog, not digital) and run through a power strip with a telephone data surge protector built into it. When the internet is not in use, the phone line is physically disconnected from the from the power strip. When the PC is not being used, the power strip is unplugged from the wall.

BACKGROUND: Previously we would lose our telephone connection every time it rained until some time later when the water in the phone lines (from cracked insulation on the lines leading to our home) would evaporate. After calling and complaining to the telephone company they increased the voltage running down the phone line.

QUESTION: I want to measure the voltage coming to the service jack outside of our home and am uncertain what leads I should be examining? There are 4 leads that I see, but I don't know what each wire is supposed to be doing.

SPECIFICATIONS: I understand from an internet website that a normal phone line should have current that would measure between 25 ma to 45 ma. The maximum loop current should be less than 120 ma and the minimum should be greater than 23 milliamps.

Any help as to which leads on the phone service port outside the building I should be checking would be greatly appreciated. I want to know exactly what the problem is prior to calling the phone company because they charge an arm and a leg if they cannot find a problem when they arrive for a service call.

"It only takes two wires to connect a phone, but most house wiring contains four wires. The red and green wires are on the two center terminals of a normal phone jack, and the black and yellow wires are on the two outer terminals. This arrangement allows most normal houses to handle two phone lines very easily.

"Many (if not most) line cords that you receive when you purchase a phone (to go between the wall jack and the phone) only have the two center wires. To save money, the outer two are omitted. "

(SOURCE: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question176.htm)

I guess I need to check the red/green wires from the center terminals.

Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information