+ Reply to Thread

Deleting "Local Area Connection 1, 2, 3, etc. etc........(OH AND A 'LIMITED' PROB)...

OK, first things first. Whatever this guy's prob was,........(Limited or no Internet connectivity)............ I brought his PC to my work and plugged it into our network & Internet was up & running without a hitch.

Soooooo.........now that he's got LAN connection #1, #2, and #3........I would like to delete at least the last 2 if not all 3 and start from scratch.

The problem is I don't see the listed as "profiles" under the Tools>InternetOptions>Profiles area. Anybody help me in deleting these other LAN connection #'s????

Also.........he was able to connect at his dad's shop no prob. (Basic DSL w/ router) and then today it wouldn't go. It keeps saying "Limited or no connectivity". All other PC's at the shop connect no prob. Rebooted modem/router, etc. No help. Switched cables, uninstalled LAN, reinstalled LAN. No matter what I do, all other PC's connect no prob, but this one won't ......(just at his dad's shop).

??????????? I looooooooooove tech support!!!! (EXTREME sarcasm intended!!!)

TIA!!!

And for the "Google is your friend" crowd.........here's what I found (described EXACTLY the prob I'm having) but response is pretty weak.........

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...58c5702b7b7605

ttt

Super F@D Folder
    start, right click my computer, properties, hardware, device manager, and uninstall all three installations of the nic. then restart the computer and it should autorecognise the card adn ask for the driver

/edit. as for the problem if you have lan 1 lan 2 and lan 3 but only one port on the back of the comptuer, that same card has been installed three times....lol. that could be part of your problem also. deffinately uninstall all three like i said above and reinstall it

Thanks 71!

Actually, that was my thought, but in the Device Mgr, there's only one NIC listed. I *did* uninstall it anyway and reinstall, but that didn't do anything. The current listed connection under "network connections" is just the LAN 3.

I did, however, figure out the Limited/No Connectivity prob. It's because the router isn't letting any other computers on. I brought another PC that I know is good and I drag from work to home & back. It wasn't let on either. Unfortunately, the router was setup by their phone guy so I tried all I could to access the router, but it's locked. That is now their problem.

If I figure out how to eliminate multiple NIC/LAN #'s, I'll definitely post results back here so somebody who searches can use some time down the road can use for reference!

I would install a NIC that is a different brand. That way the O/S would not be confused by old #1, #2, #3.
    At one time I ran a pc with 2 NIC's. Both Realtek, but they used different drivers. Me and the computer were confused.
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Removing local area connection

This is for Windows XP.

Bring up the network connections window.
    Start>Settings>Network Connection

Right click on the local area connection you want to remove and select Properties
    Then:
    Configure> Drivers>Uninstall

That should do it.

The problem was most likely solved 6 years ago... around the time of the original posting.

@bigBoneHead

No doubt the original poster has solved the problem long ago.

I had the same issue on windows XP, looking on the net for a solution brought me here.

So after I figured how to remove the stale connections on windows XP, I thought it would be a good idea to contribute to this thread so that others finding it will get updated info.

Cheers.

Thank you for replying to this thread. I had missed the "configure" button and couldn't find a way to delete an old VPN connection.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information