+ Reply to Thread

Linksys Router (WRT54G) Frequent Disconnects

Hello,

I am having a problem with frequent disconnects (at least 1 per day) on my Linksys WRT54G ver. 3, wireless router. The disconnect from the wireless router occurs on all computers, some are wired and others use the wireless network. If I unplug the router and plug it back in, it is fixed.

There are some strange things that happen though when this disconnect occurs:

1.) I can succesfully ping all the computers on my network and I can ping the range extender (Linksys WRE54G). However, when I try to ping the router it times out.

2.) I lose my internet connection the the web and cannot use instant messaging programs, but my P2P program is still downloading.

It's a brand new router, since I thought it may have been the router, I exchanged it for a new one. All computers are using XP Pro, and the firmware is 3.03.6.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JohnnyCat; March 26th, 2005 at 07:36 PM.

If you can ping the computers on your network, the problem is on the WAN end. I would contact your ISP and have them check your line.

Try removing the range extender temporarily, one less potential candidate for trouble shooting.

Hi JohnnyCat! Welcom to Tech IMO!

but my P2P program is still downloading.
    IF you turn off the P2P program does it still disconnect??
    The "p2p" proggy may be overworking the router so none of the other programs can get any use from it. Have you tried it without the P2P loaded?
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

I should also include I was using a BEFSR41 router before this one, never had any problems.

About the ISP -- I'm not losing my internet connection, according to my cable modem. Is there any more ideas you have about why my ISP would be causing this? Just want to know so I can probe the techs there, of course we all know how support works anywhere. They will most likely blame my router first.

The extender would not be causing this, I have tried a D-Link model and the Linksys which is currently connected. Besides, this occurs on computers hard-wired into the router as well as the wireless ones.

I don't think my P2P program is overloading the system. I have uploads set to max speed of 5.0K and not much downloading. Again, I never had problems with a router or my network before I switched to the WRT54G.

Thanks for all your replies. I am open to all ideas, this is driving me crazy.

JohnnyCat,

I am using a WRT54G, firmware version 2.01.7 and suffer from similar if not exactly the same headaches. Did you ever get your problem sorted out?

Thanks.
    Roland
    Last edited by benderr2001; April 9th, 2005 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by benderr2001
    JohnnyCat,

I am using a WRT54G, firmware version 2.01.7 and suffer from similar if not exactly the same headaches. Did you ever get your problem sorted out?

Thanks.
    Roland
    Basically, all or many of the newer WRT54G's (v2.2,v3.0) and WRT54GS (v1.1,v2.0) suffer from a defect by design when it comes to wireless connectivity.

Try this: copy a file from a wireless computer to a wired computer at full speed (around 2200kbyte/s?). If you lose your connection within seconds, join the club! You have been had by Linksys, like many others.

The reboots (WLAN led goes off, POWER led will blink for some seconds, all connections are lost) also occur, but not immediately, when transferring at lower speeds, like downloading from the internet, surfing heavy webpages. So the wireless part of this otherwise fine router is useless.

See: http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...=asc&start=200

Linksys acknowledged, they must have known for months now, but no fix yet. And they're still selling this 'wireless router'!!

Please send an email to support@linksys.com and sales@linksys.com to ask when it will be fixed. Might encourage them...

Return your router if you want wireless right now. Maybe your store has an old v2.0 laying around? They should be okay..

It is defintely a firmware problem. I got Sveasoft's firmware, alchemy, on my Router. As soon as I put that on, problem went away.

For info check out the forums on linksysinfo.org.

I have had the same problem with WRT54g V3

try going to toms hardware and look at their review on this product and you'll see why its having these problems. its a manufacturer's defect. the old firmware and the firmware still included in the "gl" version were linux based and thus open sourced. Linksys didnt like this because people would create their own firmware and create a router capable of alot more than they realized. so what they did was come out with a new version with their own propietary firmware and far less ram in the router itself thus preventing that" upgrade". but then came the low performance and thus a shitty router. tom's hardware explains it alot better and has comparisons showing just how shitty it really is.. a shame so many people bought it B0(

The new firmware is based on VxWorks and the routers that it started appearing in were the V5 routers for the WRT54G model. Go to www.linksysinfo.org where you will find an enormous amount of information on how to load 3rd party firmware as well as a way to load Linux as a replacement onto the routers with the VxWorks firmware.
    If you don't volunteer don't bitch!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information