+ Reply to Thread

Question Cat5 to wireless adapters?

Is there anything that I can use to convert my sons PC from running on a Cat5 cable to wireless using a Linksys Non Wireless router? Like an adapter for the back of the Router and maybe a wireless PCI card? The Long Cat5 cable is annoying because it has to go from the living room to the back side of the house.... I don't know much if anything about the Wireless Technology. I also don't want to buy a new router either. May have enough to buy the adapter if there is something to that nature.

Thanks,
    Sweeper

If you want to keep your existing router you can buy a wireless access point. It plugs into your router and extends the network into the wireless domain.

On the PC you have a few options. You can add a wireless PCI card, or you can use a USB to wireless adapter, or a ethernet to wireless bridge (plugs into the exsiting ethernet port). The ethernet to wireless bridge may be the most expensive, but you can use it on game consoles like the XBOX, so it's good for that.

Ok, if I wanted to go the Wireless access point and the wireless PCI card... How would I set it up? Also, where do I get this "WIRELESS ACCESS POINT"?

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    access points are usually more expenisive than buying a wireless router.

You can just buy two wireless cards and run them in AD HoC mode but you have no real control over the wireless.

uuuggghhh... guess I'll run some cat5 .... really can't afford a new router and wireless PCI cards.....

Did you try Google yet? Siliconjunkie's Avatar
    Or buy a wireless router and just use the wireless side. Thats what I have and it works fine. Just have to change the IP.
    My computer is bigger than yours!

Super F@D Folder
    sweeper....for the price, i'd agree with everyone on getting a wireless router to replace your wired one. Then when you have to do some work and someone needs a wired router, you have one to sell them for 30 bucks....lol. For the price...wireless is the way to go these days just make sure it's wireless g so that you can use wpa encryption .

Quote Originally Posted by sr71000
    sweeper....for the price, i'd agree with everyone on getting a wireless router to replace your wired one. Then when you have to do some work and someone needs a wired router, you have one to sell them for 30 bucks....lol. For the price...wireless is the way to go these days just make sure it's wireless g so that you can use wpa encryption .
    That's 1x wireless router and 3x wireless PCI cards..... I can't afford that. Two PC's are back to back and the cat5 runs through the wall but the third is on the other side of the house. I can run CAT5 but it will be a long run and time consuming. But I can't afford a router and 3 wireless PCI cards.

Why not keep the ones close to the router wired and the one that is far, place it on wireless? So you'd only need a wireless router and one wireless PCI card.

Wireless routers have wired capabilities.

So wireless routers are able to use cat5 cable and be wireless at the same time?

... if I would have known that I would have bought a wireless Linksys when my other one died about 3 months ago.... The one I have now is just barely 3 months old.

'stupid stupid stupid'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So wireless routers are able to use cat5 cable and be wireless at the same time?
    Yes. That's how my network is setup. Since the router is here in my room, my computer is hooked up using an ethernet cable. And the two other systems in the other room are wirelessly connected.

Where did you get your router from? Maybe you can still return it...

Blog Entries
    yup most home wireless routers have a 4 port switch built inside of them just like the old linksys routers

http://www.salescircular.com/oh/computer/wrlsnp.shtml

Maybe this could help?

Well, i just ordered 100ft of Cat5E Network Cable from NewEgg. The room is about 45+ feet from the router so I got extra just in case. Will run it when the cable comes in. It only cost $15.00. Much cheaper and just don't have the cash for a new router or wireless PCI cards... I didn't think it was going to be that expensive. I'll spend a Saturday wiring his room. I'll tuck it under the carpet along the wall. I think I can do it with out anyone noticing it.

Thanks for all your help.....

LOL, you guys should really move to Wireless N

hahahaha, just kidding, I know this is 6 years old..........

I do have a question though, anyone know if you can take an old router, and bridge it to the new router, and plug it into an Ethernet port? So you can use an old router as a Ethernet WIFI?

Blog Entries
    Depends on the router and the firmware

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information