+ Reply to Thread

Ping problem - different ip addresses

I have two networked computers.
    OS = XP SP2.
    Internet via a 4 port router.
    Internet works fine.
    File sharing seems to work fine.
    But!!!
    When I ping A to B using ip address - OK.
    When I ping B to A using ip address - OK.
    When I ping A to B using host name - OK shows correct ip address in brackets.
    When I ping B to A using host name it times out and the ip address shown in brackets after the host name is not the correct one.

Anyone got any ideas ?

On machine B type nslookup {hostnameofmachineA}

What DNS server does it report using? What IP address does it report for Machine A? What is the acutal IP of machine A?

It says nslookup not recognized... etc
    When I ping P4 (which is the hostname of machine A) it gives the ip as 192.168.0.86 but the machines actual ip is 192.168.0.14

When I do nslookup {C433} on P4 I get "Can't find server name for address 10.1.1.1 : non existent domain." "Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1" "default servers not available"

Ultimate Member twistedbrntucker's Avatar
    Are you using Service Pack 2 new security center? and is the built in firewall turned on?
    Work hard to become not to acquire. I didn't work hard to win a million dollars, I worked hard to become Winston Cup Champion. Alan Kulwicki 1992

nslookup isn't going to help you here anyway. you need to track down why the machine is not resolving to the correct IP address. Check your hosts and/or lmhosts file. Even if it isn't there you can always edit that document to force the machine name to resolve correctly to the right IP.

Quote Originally Posted by kwebb
    nslookup isn't going to help you here anyway. you need to track down why the machine is not resolving to the correct IP address.
    I'm having a difficult time understanding why nslookup won't be usefull in troubleshooting a DNS resolution problem. The troubleshooting steps I provided are completely valid would yield usefull information. And your solution ... ??? You should slap youself for that.

If he was using DNS to resolve names. Unless I just missed something in this thread he didn't say he had a local DNS server. His workstations sit behind a SOHO router. They are using broadcasting and Master browsers to find computer names. DNS is not relevant to his problem or this thread. Based on your posts so far I can understand why you are having a hard time understanding.

Thanks to kwebb and CataclysmCow for your help. After studying your advice I have concluded I am not using DNS to resolve the names and this is confirmed by nslookup telling me it could not find a DNS server. I examined the hosts file on both machines and found one had no entries at all (the one that worked) and the other had entries but the one refering to the P4 computer pointed to the wrong ip address. When I corrected it both machines work as expected. I will study networking more.
    Thanks again for your help.

DNS wasn't ever an issue with NetBIOS name resolution issues. Not on a home LAN anyway.

The hosts file was only a shot in the dark but glad that is what it was. If your using DHCP then usings hosts or lmhosts for name resolution can be sketchy because obviously the IP's change. Might want to go static.

"And your solution ... ??? "

Guess you weren't paying attention.
    Last edited by kwebb; June 26th, 2005 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information