+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Connecting Two routers wirelessly/cables?

hi..

I have two routers, one of them is connected to my broadband line, and the other is in it box. i want to make use of the other router. they are both wireless and im thinking to connect them both togther, becasue the one which i am not using can handle more machines whilst the other cant handle as many..

i have heard a few things about the IP address, but i would appriciate it if i had a step-to-step guide into doing this, any website which could tell me cleary would be very helpful indeed,

thanks!

Need the manufacturer and model numbers of your routers. They might not support Wireless Distribution System (WDS) repeating.

Also what exactly are you trying to accomlish? Have both routers sharing your connection and have DHCP enabled on both routers basically giving you two seperate LANs? Or are you trying to use one as a repeater to extend the range of your network?
    "There are only 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those that cannot."

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    check to see if any of the router(s) support bridging at all

(you will find this information in the manual)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BattleToad
    Need the manufacturer and model numbers of your routers. They might not support Wireless Distribution System (WDS) repeating.

Also what exactly are you trying to accomlish? Have both routers sharing your connection and have DHCP enabled on both routers basically giving you two seperate LANs? Or are you trying to use one as a repeater to extend the range of your network?

nope, all im trying to do is use it as an extender for the wireless side of the network, i dont intend setting up another network, i know that will probaly give me more connections problems. i just want ot keep it simp

If one of the wireless routers has the option of what I think is called "wireless bridging" you should be albe to link to the second. you could use the second as an access point or even use the router portion for a LAN connection. This all depends on if the one of the routers you have supports bridging. I am using two relatively inexpensive Belkin routers myself and they work fine.

This can be done

Quote Originally Posted by J1mmy
    hi..

I have two routers, one of them is connected to my broadband line, and the other is in it box. i want to make use of the other router. they are both wireless and im thinking to connect them both togther, becasue the one which i am not using can handle more machines whilst the other cant handle as many..

i have heard a few things about the IP address, but i would appriciate it if i had a step-to-step guide into doing this, any website which could tell me cleary would be very helpful indeed,

thanks!

I am doing this now with a Linksys Router (main IP router) and a Belkin router (just using it as a second wireless access point). Turn off DHCP on the router you do want to be the main router, assign it an ip address in your network (i.e 192.168.0.200). Put the IP address of the main router as the gateway (so you can see the internet) and activae wireless on it. Give it a unique SSID so not to conflict with the original router. If that does not work, do a private message to me and I will walk you through it.

Gateway on the second device, the repeater/bridge, is irrelevant. In fact, an IP on that device is only needed to configure it.

You'll need WDS support on both devices. If WDS is not supported then you'll need one of them to act as a dedicated repeater. Virtually no Router/AP combo's do this. I think perhaps there is firmware for Linksys routers that add client/repeating functionality without WDS.

Blog Entries
    right okay, im getting a rough picture of how to dot his now...
    but as my connection problems still exist im going to return this router back and get i think a belkin one with possibily a bluetooth printer adapter. Im not really looking for one that supports bridging i'd rather to it the manual way, besides my second router doesnt support brodging anyway.

Ill get back to you guy as soon as i get my new router, but until then keep posting. and thanks isalsbury...ill definatly private you for the help when required. thanks guys..

Two Belkin Routers

I have two Belkin wireless routers. Is it possible to configure one as a access point, and bridge two areas of my house wirelessly? From the above posts, it looks like it is, but I can't seem to get it working.

Blog Entries
    okay, ive finally got two routers now. Its time to connect them together, one of them supports the two router connection, but the other one doesnt. so im not sure which router to host the internet connection from-i was thinking the one with the bridging feature, any suggestions.

from the response that was posted by "isalsbury" above which said
    "I am doing this now with a Linksys Router (main IP router) and a Belkin router (just using it as a second wireless access point). Turn off DHCP on the router you do want to be the main router, assign it an ip address in your network (i.e 192.168.0.200). Put the IP address of the main router as the gateway (so you can see the internet) and activae wireless on it. Give it a unique SSID so not to conflict with the original router. If that does not work, do a private message to me and I will walk you through it."

I was able to set up my tow belkin routers. use the one with the Bridging to connect to the internet, added the MAC address of the second one to that router and disabled the Dynamic IP address of the second router, so all IP address would be assigned by the one connected to the internet. Changed the SSID to something different onteh second router so I could tell them apart apart and can now use the second router to connect tow computer on my second floor. hope this helps Stu

If the second device is an AP only then it needs no gateway. Only the clients need the gateway. It doesn't even need an AP to move your data across but if you want to configure it then yeah, give it an IP on the same network as the primary router. No gateway. The SAME SSID, so you can roam seemlessly. If you aren't worried about roaming then ok, you can create two different SSID's. SSID isn't critical but typically one WLAN=one SSID. Whether your bridging or using the second device as an AP, it does not need a gateway though. You can put one in there. It's just useless.

Blog Entries

Unhappy

I have included an attachment, please take a look.

Im not getting a broadband connection on the 2nd router although i have a green light for the network only.

I have enabled a feature on the 1st router where it can connect to the 2nd router wirelessly, i have enabled this feature and it shows up on the 1st router perfectly, but when i check on the 2nd router's gateway page i cannot see any connection made to the 1st router, maybe this would explain the fact that i have no broadband conection to this router.

On the 2nd router i have not disabled the DHCP. Could this be the reason why im not getting a broadband connection on the 2nd router??

Attached Files Attached Files

Blog Entries
    ...And this is what i hope for my networks to become...

Take a look at the attachment:
    ''Get This Network''

Attached Files Attached Files

We still need the router names and model numbers that you're using. Until then we can't help you anymore.
    The difficulty is to try and teach the multitude that something can be true and untrue at the same time. -- Arthur Schopenhauer

Blog Entries

connecting router wirlessly

I'm trying to do the same thing I have a NETGEAR DG834G wireless router which connects to my broadband via its built in ADSL modem and I want to connect this wirlessly to a Netgear MR814 wireless router so i can plug my playstation into this second router. Is this possible with thease two bits of kit.

Blog Entries
    Well, if any of us is going to have a better chance, its probaly you becasue both of the routers are the same make so there is a better chance of capibility with each other.

Connecting two routers-wireless and cable

Hello! I'm new in this forum. Can you please help me, too. Wanted to connect my D-link ethernet broadband router and Netgear wireless router. I wanted to use the wireless router for my laptop and place it in a place where it could get more coverage. The D-link router will be used for other desktop PCs. By the way, I've been using the D-link router for 1 year already with 3 PCs connected to it for internet sharing. The neatgear wireless router is new and haven't been removed from the box. Is this possible? Can you please help me with a step-by-step guide for connecting these two if it is possible?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Lelen

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    please make a new thread with models and such asking your question

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information