+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

aol firewall issues

Hi all,

Iím having problems connecting to AOL. AOL is sending me an error message 25-02-23-014, firewall detected. Itís asking me to configure my firewall to allow certain AOL .exe files. I did what they said and am still getting the same error. I even disabled my firewall so that it wasnít even running and I still get it. I uninstalled and reinstalled my AOL and still get the message.

I was connecting with no problems at all two weeks ago. The only thing that has changed on my computer since then is that I installed a couple games.

Iím trying to run AOL 9.0 optimized dial-up. I have a downloaded Sygate firewall and a PC-cillan firewall. But, Iíve never had any problems until yesterday. Using the same firewalls two weeks ago and prior was never a problem.

Whatís the deal? Can anyone suggest anything before I brave the AOL customer service?

Thanks in advance,
    ng

Blog Entries
    Dump AOL and get something else...thats what I reccomend...

What did you change before it stopped working?
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

If you are running WinXP is the firewall in it shut down also? Scan your pc for viruses and spyware.

I've been through 2 wars, half a dozen state fairs and a couple of goat ....
    I'm not afraid of anything ! But I wouldn't even call AOL tech support.
    Life is to short to deal with AOL tech support.
    ďThose who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.Ē
    Benjamin Franklin

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    well here's some info I found on google aol error message 25-02-23-014 sounds like your aol is being hijacked by spyware/malware ect
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Quote Originally Posted by EXreaction
    Dump AOL and get something else...thats what I reccomend...
    I recommend you stop thread crapping. If you cannot offer any help, feel free not to post.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey4
    I recommend you stop thread crapping. If you cannot offer any help, feel free not to post.
    Excuse me? What, did you only read half of my post? If you would have read all of it you would have noticed that I asked her what she had changed before it stoped working...

Why don't you read your own post...
    Quote Originally Posted by osprey4
    If you cannot offer any help, feel free not to post.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries
    there is no arguing here at Timo!! I have to agree though if you're suggestion is to dump aol thats not that helpful. nerdgirl didn't ask for opinions on her choice of ISP's. just help fixing the problem.

AOL is very picky and doesn't always play nice, did you have a bad shut down? are you getting any other error msgs' possibly like the ones described in the top post of that link? The best bet is to try running AOL Connectivity and repair. If that doesn't work then you might need to uninstall aol and del all reg entries associated with aol and start fresh. The bad thing about aol is it intergrates itself into almost every function of your computer making it a pain to actually get rid of.

Sounds like spyware, as Richeemxx said. I would completely uninstall AOL, then load Ad-Aware, Spybot and run.

Take a look at this: http://www.hpcsolutions.co.uk/pagename-news.html

Notice they have you deleting winsock. This will be reinstalled when you reinstall AOL.

Richeemxx, I don't disagree with you about AOL, but if AOL ever got half as bad as Norton, I'd start my own campaign against them.

Thank you so much for all the replies.

I am running WinXP Pro. I actually did have a couple of random shutdowns.

I had replaced my hard drive in early December and really donít have much on there yet. The computer and AOL had been running fine for a few weeks since my replacement. I have installed a couple games since my AOL worked, but nothing else.

Yesterday, I thought I had completely uninstalled my AOL and tried fresh, but I didnít run the AOL connectivity and repair. Iíll do what you all suggest.

How do I know if something is hijacking and get rid of it? Where do I get Ad-Aware and Spybot? I guess Iíll also run scans using my PC-cillin and see what I can find out.

I know AOL is prehistoric, but I think I'm one of the few who never really had any problems with it for years, until yesterday. But, maybe it is time to think about using something else. I want to fix this first though.

I'll let you know what happens. I'm sure I'll need more help.

Thanks,
    ng

Blog Entries
    http://majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_SE_Personal_d506.html
    http://majorgeeks.com/SpyBot-Search_...roy_d2471.html

Aol commonly has problems with bad shutdowns, I use to always have corrupt files or bad connectivity if I had to do a hard restart. Try the conectivity repair first that should work. When you run your spyware scan do so in safe mode and turn off system restore.

Unhappy turn back on firewall

I've been trying some things. The AOL connectivity repair didn't work. I deleted the winsock files. I ran a virus scan. It found 7 bad cookie files and a file named spyw_softomate.

I turned off the Microsoft firewall. But now, I cannot get it turned back on. How do I get it back?

I uninstalled the Sygate firewall, because I thought this might make a difference, however, I didn't want to try again to sign on to AOL without anything. What's a nerdgirl to do?

Thanks,
    ng

Blog Entries
    For the amount of money you are payng for AOL (or will be paying after the trial), you could get DSL for much cheaper or around the same price but SOOO much faster. If you are paying for a second line to keep a phone connection while browsing the internet, just go with cable internet that will probably be about the same or a little more.

If you already have DSL or Cable, and AOL is piggybacking, PLEASE cancel the wasted money towards AOL, uninstall everything that has anything to do with AOL, and start off fresh.

Whenever I get phone calls about computer performance, spyware, etc...it is always people with slow AOL Dial-Up or AOL piggybacking off of their DSL.

Check your area to see if you have any broadband ISP's.

IMO

Famos

Nerdgirl:

The XP firewall may not run because it thinks you're running another firewall. I would stick with either Sygate or Zone Alarm, either one of which is better than the XP firewall (which will do absolutely nothing to help you in the event of spyware or a trojan).

Well, I am pretty sure I will be switching to something better, but for now, how can I reactivate my Windows XP firewall?

When I go to the security control panel and click to turn it on, it says it cannot and gives an error message about an ICS or something. I just wanted to try turning off some things and seeing if it works, but now I want to turn it back on.

Thanks,
    ng

Blog Entries
    Hmm...ya, I have had that same thing happen before(XP firewall would not turn on, and ICS errors)...I never did get to finding out what was wrong(my friend just decided to reformat instead ), but I am pretty sure that it was from one of the mass of viruses she had on there...

Anyways...to the point...what do you use for an AntiVirus? You might want to try Avast Home(and run a boot scan):
    http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe

Blog Entries
    famosbrown honestly we don't need these types of posts either try to help or not, but an opinion about her choice in isp's is not needed and is thread crapping

Nerdgirl this might help get the xp firewall back up and running. As for the AOL issue it might be a little more difficult. Did you run adaware and spybot? I know when I had issues with aol and win98 I ended up having to delete all my network connection do a re-install of aol and re-install all my connections

edit: check your services to make sure you have windows firewall/ICS set to on
    control panel/admin tool/services
    Last edited by RicheemxX; January 4th, 2006 at 06:34 PM.

RicheemxX - I'm going to run those two tonight.
    EXreaction - I use PC-cillin.

I'll let you know what I find out. I'm a little bewildered. I had my setup for about three years, with AOL and Sygate as the only firewall. I didn't even have SP2 downloaded and all seemed fine. Then about two months ago, my hard drive stopped booting, so I got a new one and haven't even gotten around to reinstalling a lot of my programs. I just put in this new hard drive and feel like I want to just wipe it clean and start over from scratch. If I got a virus or something, this is very new to me and aggravating.

What about doing the 'XP system restore to previous state'? Would that do anything?

I really really appreciate the continuing help. I'll let you know what happens after my scans.

Thanks,
    ng

Blog Entries
    I want to just wipe it clean and start over from scratch.
    unfortunately that might be the best bet and the easiest thing to do.

Blog Entries
    If you are going to wipe your harddrive, and reinstall XP, first, remember to back everything up...last time I reformated I lost my bookmarks.
    Second, you should look into getting a different ISP now if you want one...that way you won't have to install AOL...and none of it's crap will get into your computer...I told my Aunt the same thing a few days ago...she has AOL, and wants to get rid of it...and wants to clear up her harddrive...I told her to bring her computer over with the OS, and driver disks after she gets a new ISP...and I would get everything running for her!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheemxX
    famosbrown honestly we don't need these types of posts either try to help or not, but an opinion about her choice in isp's is not needed and is thread crapping

Nerdgirl this might help get the xp firewall back up and running. As for the AOL issue it might be a little more difficult. Did you run adaware and spybot? I know when I had issues with aol and win98 I ended up having to delete all my network connection do a re-install of aol and re-install all my connections

edit: check your services to make sure you have windows firewall/ICS set to on
    control panel/admin tool/services
    IMO, it isn't thread crapping and has been a VERY GOOD solution in solving many problems that she is having in MY experience. First get rid of that service get another, set the security up, and then viola...

IMO, I was making a recommendation on how to solve the OVERALL problem, which is IMO, AOL software.

Famos

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information