+ Reply to Thread

How do I see if someone is using my internet connection?

I have a router that is wired and wireless-wrt54g- . How can I tell if someone is using my connection? All the computers in the network are wired, but the laptop is not . The laptop tells where it can get a connection to the internet , each of my neighbors. I want my desktop to tell me who has a connection to my router . Hope I explained or asked correctly.

Blog Entries
    Your router should have a control panel (probably a webpage) that should show you any connected PC's. I'm not familiar with that model router myself, but if you check the manual it should tell you what to look for.

Your wireless should be AT LEAST protected by an encryption key (like WEP, WPA, PSK, etc). If you really want to keep the nosy neighbours out, try setting MAC addresses, disabling DHCP and only allowing set IP addresses to connect.

Cheers
    Mick
    I don't like sigs on forums like this.

Blog Entries
    If you check the DHCP log of your router the mac address of everyone who has connected since the last router reboot should be listed... now that list isn't guaranteed for various reasons, but at least it's a start. Are you using encryption? MAC filtering?

Same router here.
    Go to Administration--Log, enable it if it's not already (disabled by default). Click on either incoming or outgoing log to view the contents.
    ~ Camp Crystal Lake counselor positions opening daily ~

OK ,
    The router page doesn't load correctly. There are no boxes to click that would bring me to , say for example, administration or security settings. How can I fix that?

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a browser issue to me. Do you have cookies/javascript disabled? The page may need them.

Cheers
    Mick

I'm not sure about the cookies/javascript. How do I check them?

Blog Entries
    If you are using IE, go to Tools: Internet options and check your Privacy tab You can change cookie handling and java options in there.

Cheers
    Mick

Thanks i tried but that didn't help. I'll try again tommorrow, I need to get some sleep.

do you want to tell if someone else is using it, or do you want to prevent others from using it?

an easy way someone can hide themselves from DHCP is to just set themselves a static IP address valid for the router's subnet. then they never get logged in the DHCP lease log.

the wireless portion of the router may have a list of currently connected MAC addresses, and that will tell you exactly who is associated with your access point. usually the router will associate the machine's netbios name with the mac as well, so that would be a big tip off provided the anonymous machine is not blocking netbios traffic.

if you are looking to filter out MAC addresses, the implimentation that WiFi (802.11b/g) uses to filter MAC actually advertises which MAC addresses it allows, allowing anyone to simply fake their own MAC address to match that address. if the router uses it's own network level filtering it is much more secure.

DHCP

What is DHCP? I am so confused and apparently computer illiterate! We live very close to our neighbors and our internet connection has a password on it but is still VERY slow! I wanted to find a way to see if anyone else is using our connection but cannot for the life of me figure it out. When I set the wireless up I set up an account that is still visible but has no password attached to it and can't figure out how to delete that either!

All We Are Asking Networker4321's Avatar
    If you want to try out a new tool for free and for fun,,,download Pure Network Magic from www.linksys.com . You get a 7 day trial and it will examine then map YOUR network. The map will show the details on every machine logged on. Then, if somebody logs on from outside that is not a trusted member, you will get a pop up with "new device detected" and can tell if it's a notebook, desktop or a Mac.

Good luck.
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way" - Mark Twain

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information