+ Reply to Thread

How to connect two computers together with a crossover cable.

Hey guys,

Me and my friend are trying to connect his desktop and his laptop together with a crossover cable.

We have no clue what to change and whatnot, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

open up your network connections on both machines and right click on your wired network connection and select properties.

Under the general tab, select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) " and click properties.

Select "Use the following IP address"
    enter an IP address for each machine (192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3 would be good choices)
    Enter in 255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask
    and enter 192.168.0.1 for the gateway (hence the IP's starting with 2, not 1 above)

that should get you started. Then to connect to each other, you enter \\192.168.0.x (2 if you are connecting from 3 and vice versa) to connect to see shared folders.

We tried that, but it didn't work.

He didnt have his network driver installed on his dekstop so we had to install that, because he connects to thbe internet through a USB thingy to his modem instead of the regular ethernet cord.

So we did that, then went into the internet properties on both, and changed everything to what you said, but it still gave us the network cable unplugged message

Oooo...you never mentioned that That completely changes things.

Are you sure the cable is a crossover cable? Have you tried a standard pass-through cable? Are there any problems with the network driver? (go control panel->system->hardware->device manager. if there is a yellow or red symbol over the network driver icon then there is a problem).

you can disregard what i said earlier...that will only work AFTER the network cable unplugged error is resolved.

well, we tried taking the cable and plugging it into the ethernet port on his dsl modem, but that didnt do crap, with both computers as well.

so we're kinda lost here.

well, we tried taking the cable and plugging it into the ethernet port on his dsl modem, but that didnt do crap, with both computers as well.
    Why were you messing with the modem?

When you use a crossover cable, you plug one end into one computer and the other end into the other computer. The modem never comes into play.

Did you try what I said in my last post?

Yes, i read what you said in the last post, and i have no idea what kind of cable it is, because his dad just randomly found it, and it was yellow, and most yellow ethernet cables i see are usually crossover,

ANYWAYS if you wnaa know what the cable says so maybe we can find out what it is, then it says :
    TYPE CM (UL) E188601 CSA LL84201 FT4 ETL VERIFIED EIA/TIA-568A/B CAT .5 UTP COPARTNER

Thanks

color won't say anything really...there is no standard.

what you can do is hold the plugs next to each other and look at the 8 wires inside of them. If they line up exactly the same, then it is a pass-through. If two colored sets are swapped, then it is a crossover.

Either way, I suspect that the cable is not a crossover, and that is why it's not working.

so did you do what i recommended (the part in parenthesis) two posts ago? what were the results? you still haven't answered that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information