+ Reply to Thread

Question 2 LAN ports. Double speed?

Ok, here's the deal. I've got the ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard, and decided to use the two LAN ports for gaming. (I have a wireless connection downstairs to my computer for internet). What I'm trying to do is combine the speed of both individual cables to form one faster connection. I've tried the bridge option on the network connections, but it still reads 100.00 Mbps. I'm not sure entirely what to do. First of all is it even possible to combine the two connections to make one?

Thanks,
    K/W

Ultimate Member
    Some of the newest nVidia chipsets do allow you to do something like that, I don't know if yours is one of them. However, latency is incrased when they are combined, so it is not recomended for gaming.
    "Opinions not based on knowledge are ugly things"

u can do a bridge, but it WOULD still only read as 100mbps because that's still your max throughput, although you can do that throughput 2 times. The only thing is that it wouldn't really matter, because your ISP doesn't support speeds that fast and I don't think there's one game out there that would really benefit with anything over like 5mbps...Really no point in even attempting this, bro, unless you are working on transferring a large amount of files within a LAN. As I stated before, no game will benefit with dual 100mb NIC's.

The best way to improve your gaming is to get a better internet service from your ISP with higher UL speeds and increase the quality of your system, IE more RAM, better graphics card, better CPU, etc. Good luck
    My Rig:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.16||6GB OCZ Rev2 DDR2 800 @ 1:1 ratio
    MSI 975X Platinum||GTX 275 896MB ||WD Black 640GB and 2x80GB RAID 0

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You will not see any difference in anything doing this

Blog Entries
    Make sure full duplex support is enabled for your network.

As to combining lines, as others have stated, there is not much point in bridging a 100Mbps LAN connection for gaming.

Ok, cool. Thanks for the help...I gotta ask though. What's the point in having two ports on the motherboard then?
    K/W
    ASUS M2N-SLI DELUXE - AMD Athlon X2 4200+ AM2
    7800GT Geforce Nvidia - 1.5Gb DDR2 RAM - 120Gb HDD

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No real reason, marketing perhaps? Or the manufactures thought they could use these in severs to do load balance. Its just a gimmick pretty much.

have one for LAN and one for WAN possibly?? Or if you have 2 cable modem's from yoru ISP, you could connect both of them to your system to have a slightly faster internet. Not sure, really, why they started including 2. Could also be to help with internet networking. For those that don't have a router, you could easily setup another system on your network to use the internet from one system via the second network port. Marketing probably has a large portion of it, though. LOOK, I have TWO!!!
    My Rig:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.16||6GB OCZ Rev2 DDR2 800 @ 1:1 ratio
    MSI 975X Platinum||GTX 275 896MB ||WD Black 640GB and 2x80GB RAID 0

Multimedia terminals, Xboxes, Playstations and other equipment can connect to the second.

sometimes they use the two port and set the computer as a router 1 LAN port in IN (Modem) and 1 LAN port is OUT (Switch/other computer)

i have two in all my machines, just so handy, for instance my old adsl router didn't like my switch, so i did a bridge through this computer... also before i had a router and only 2 computers i would just hook them up together... but yeah be careful with 2 Lan conenctiosn because i have heard they also stops a connection becasue of all the redundancy in the wires

Teaming (windows)/Bonding (*nix) can be very helpful if you are setting the box up to be a file server, especially when serving multimedia to others on the local network. Example: If you had very fast drives on the server you could watch the same high quality avi on many machines on your network.

Better solution today, however, would be to have a gigabit switch. Gigabit adapter on the server and have full duplex 100 baseT at the desktops.

This would be great for a making a router or a filtered bridge. I think 2k3 setup looks for multiple nics to set up firewall/gateway.
    Last edited by flashingcurser; January 30th, 2007 at 04:03 PM.
    If you believe it is important for future generations to learn about computers. Please help--- http://computer4kids.us

2 lan port mobo's are usually classed a server/client in a corp lan farm..

though i suppose you could setup a base 10-t lan if you wanted to

though most 2 port lan mobo's tend to get used as servers or you connect 2 net connections and double your throughput..

But what if you have a Gigabit Router and a 10/100/1000 Base Nic. I have a single Nic at 1.0Gbps so If I were to get a board with a dual nic. Wouldn't that be double the bandwidth at 2.0Gbps?

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    no, because normally you only use ONE of the Dual NIC's.

you can do like I did, and Bridge the Two, so you have one sending and one receiving, but technically speaking its still only 1Gbps speeds. (1Gb Up and Down), just that you can send and receive simultaneously I believe, instead of send, stop, receive, stop, send, etc (also works nice if your uploading something to the web from the main PC, and downloading or accessing something else from another device on the network at the same time)

thing is my Router's not a 1Gb router, its only 10/100, but a friend suggested I bridge the 2 ports to help resolve some lag issues I was having with just one port in Windows 7 about 6 months ago.

didn't really help out much in all honesty, just never bothered to revert back to a single NIC.

but Dual NIC's on a board can be used for Bridging as mentioned above, you could have 2 internet sources, for example 2 Broadband connections (Cable, DSL, Satellite, etc), and bridge those connections for a boosted internet speed, use on NIC for a Network Attached Storage device, or set up an AdHoc Internet Connection for another PC or device to get access to the web through the primary PC, etc.
    Last edited by ShyguyXPC; December 20th, 2009 at 09:47 PM.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

hi guys,

i have a server with two gigabit nic's, currently only using one of them. all my computers in my network run gigabit connection which download a lot of data from the server but send virtually nothing back. if i bridge the connection on the server will this make data transfer to another machine faster, i understand it will still be a gigabit connection but would there be more bandwidth?

also does the bridged connection share an ip address?

thanks

try configuring ipv4 for both the lancards saperatly in list of network connection

try configuring ipv4 for both the lancards saperatly in list of network connection i think this shud work ... both will be connected ... and both will show 100 mbps unless they arent saperate cards on saperate pci slots

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information