+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy i need to find my DNS server IP address....

to get my mail server working i need to know the IP of my DNS server, my DNS is dhs.org and i don't know what their IP is. is there some program which can tell me?

open up the command console

start>run>cmd (in win2k)

type ping www.dhs.org

it will ping it and show you the ip as well...
    - Freaky

Oh just in case you were wondering the IP is: 202.77.181.57

EDIT: Apparently adding an extra w to the www results in a completely different IP
    - Freaky

Open your command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without the quotes. It will list all the relevant TCP/IP info about your computer, including DNS servers.

god damn "ipconfig /all" rocks, nice shigum

If you want to use it for more functions, type ipconfig /? and it will list the available commands. There are GUI apps that do it, but I still pretty well use that command, even on XP which has it's own GUI for that stuff.

dns help

hey i have norton internet security and i dont how to see my dns servers ip address without it i cant play online plz answer asap

idk

Ultimate Member
    You should start a new thread, this one is over 5 years old!
    "Opinions not based on knowledge are ugly things"

Blog Entries
    Just double click that little computer icon in the task bar below and choose support and details. Or just go into the control panel under network adapters.

Why didn't you try the methods above??

He probably done his research like it asks you to in the rules of this forum. Makes sense to post into this one.
    Last edited by Keymaker; August 11th, 2007 at 05:27 PM.

Unhappy

i found where my dns server is but its blank how do I get one

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You need to enter one, or your dhcp server should give you one

Exclamation DNS cannot resolve

Okay, I know i've corrected this problem once before, but im unsure of what exactly I did. Basically, My Xbox 360 has no problem connecting and signing into xbox live. But my PC itself cannot use the internet. It says "your DNS server cannot resolve your IP address" Yet my 360 can. Is there a setting somewhere i need to change?

A Better Way

As to the age of this message, there are lots of "elderly threads" that get plenty of traffic, and have good information in them. It makes sense to keep updating them as they do come up on Google searches.

A better way to get DNS and other information on a domain is to use nslookup.

From a command prompt type: nslookup

You will see the following:

Default Server: yourdns.yourdomain.com
    Address: 10.15.37.3

> _

At the > prompt enter: set type=all (press enter) then enter just the domain name. Here's what you get:

> set type=all
    > dhs.org
    Server: ns0.internal
    Address: 10.1.100.2
    Non-authoritative answer:
    dhs.org MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = oscar.sleepycat.com.au
    dhs.org MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = monty.sleepycat.com.au
    dhs.org
    primary name server = ns1.dhsnames.com
    responsible mail addr = dhsadmin.dhs.org
    serial = 1252598401
    refresh = 28800 (8 hours)
    retry = 7200 (2 hours)
    expire = 604800 (7 days)
    default TTL = 200 (3 mins 20 secs)
    dhs.org nameserver = ns2.dhsnames.com
    dhs.org nameserver = ns1.dhsnames.com
    dhs.org nameserver = ns2.dhsnames.com
    dhs.org nameserver = ns1.dhsnames.com
    ns1.dhsnames.com internet address = 206.251.79.98
    ns2.dhsnames.com internet address = 204.16.241.26

This gives you all of the DNS information for the domain.

Red face OOPS

Oops . . . this was an inadvertently posted duplicate. Mea culpa.
    Last edited by Jeffconnecticut; September 10th, 2009 at 03:13 PM.

Wink DNS Servers

I use Earthlink DNS server numbers. But my IP address, when I do a IP Test says SBC. I do have AT&T for my landline so I guess my Earthlink Service is just "piggybacked" on SBC DSL. I need the DNS numbers so my internet connection doesn't disconnect. We have two computers on one router so we're using different Earthlink DNS' so both of us can be online at the same time. I am the one that figured this one out 7 years ago when we went from dialup to dsl.

If you use the Google or Bing or Ask.com search engine just type in your ISP and DNS numbers you should come up with some links for your specific DNS numbers.

Example "Earthlink DNS numbers"

Call your ISP tech support if you don't exactly know where to input the numbers. I am sure someone there can help or maybe someone would have a photo at TechIMO to show DNS input.

Oh yeah, on another note. We may end up going Charter Cable Internet. DSL is limited to 789 Kbps even if you are paying for 1.5 Mbps. I am only getting 449 Kbps Meaning I am not getting my monies worth. AT&T said 789 Kbps is the fastest they can give me. I like to watch previews and Nascar clips and that is not fast enough to get smooth buffering. Internet websites require faster speeds than DSL to view video clips so DSL is out dated like dialup now.

Yes I am whining. NV is supposed to be # 1 for fastest internet access speeds in the country and I am not getting my fair share until we get cable internet.

KDavis -

It sounds as if you purchased Earthlink service packaged on SBC DSL. (AT&T acquired SBC in 2005). I don't know why you would have a problem with multiple computers on a NAT router using the same DNS address. Also, most SOHO routers (like most of the Linksys BEFSR and WRT series routers) will proxy the DNS provided by your ISP . . . in other words, you may be able to use your router's address as your DNS address on your PCs. Also, DNS lookups don't have to come from your own ISP. You could specify just about any valid DNS server by IP address.

As to the maximum DSL speed, this is a function of several things, particularly how far you are (in "wire miles") from the DSLAM that provides you with service, which is normally housed at the telco central office. The maximum distance for ADSL service is a little more than 3 miles, about 17,500 feet for AT&Ts offering. The quality of the wires, the wire gauge installed on the poles, and the quality of the connections along the way all factor in to the speed. If you are more than about 5000 feet from the DSLAM the maximum available speed is going to start to drop off steadily, and the rate of degradation increases with distance. At 10,000 feet your 1.5Mb/s service will probably drop to around 500 or 600K. At 15,000 feet you probably can't expect more than 200K or so.

This isn't AT&T's fault really, it's the limitation of ADSL running on twisted pair.

Cable is very different as it is typically delivered to your neighborhood on fiber, and then a short distance over shielded coaxial cable to your house. In general you will probably have much faster service on cable than on DSL. I typically see 16M - 20M downstream and 3.5M upstream on my premium Cox service.

JM

Jeffconnecticut-

I only used Earthlink because I have had their service DSL and Dialup since 1998. They lose! I had Charter before when DSL wasn't available to me and I enjoyed it so yeah cable would be better. We are supposed to get the 10 Mbps deal with our business phone. I will be able to watch better video on the internet now without being all choppy.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information