+ Reply to Thread

Ethernet Port not working (Enabled too)

I just moved to uni and am transfering from Wireless internet to physical connection. I uninstalled my wireless utility and cannot get my ethernet to respond. It says its enabled but doesn't show the icon bottom right of my start bar. I've tried to create a new connecton -> Connect to the internet -> Manually -> Connect to broadband that is always on, but it doesn't create a new LAN or High-Speed Internet icon.

Any idea's?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Hi there..

It would help if you can post some system specs. And if your running through a router, and if so what's the name and model number. Also, what OS? Might throw in the modem specs too. Also, are you running a firewall?

But the first thing I would check is the drivers for your NIC. If they're not properly installed, then that could be your problem.
    Also check your router to make sure it's seeing the machine.
    May also check the actual network cable.

But more info would help...
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Im at Uni so i don't know anything about the router.

OS - Microsoft Windows XP Home - 5.1, Build 2600)
    Model - DQ080A-ABU S5200UK GB340
    Manufactuerer - Compaq Presario 061

How do i check my NIC drivers?

Im running Zone Alarm Firewall, but it isnt blocking the conncetion im sure because it hasn't asked me if i wanted to allow it (I have it set to manually set everything).

Network cable works because im on my friends laptop using it in my room.

Blog Entries
    To get the icon to show do the following:

1. Open up the Control Panel and click on the Network Properties
    2. Click on the view the Connections to the Internet or Network
    3. You should see your Ethernet port there with the computer icon, right click on that and click Properties
    4. You should see at the bottom of that dialog box, something like 'Show in System Tray' tick that box and press OK

I'm not actually using XP right now, so that instructions above won't be exact, should be somewhere along those lines though.

Are you sure you don't need to submit your MAC address? I know what some uni's require you submit your MAC address. Information on connecting should have been provided to you when you got into your room.

If you can't get it to work I'd speak to the Administrator, or your IT helpdesk. They can advise you better as they manage the network that you're using.

How did you friend get it to work? What settings has he got on his laptop?

Its not my uni, its nothing to do with that, its simpy my ethernet port isn't working. I'm not in my room atm but wil try your instructions in a bit.

I've tried your instructions concerning the "Show in System Tray" but I cant find the dialog box which enables me to do it. I'm sure about the MAC address, and my friends internet on his laptop connected straight away, which would leave me to believe there is either something wrong with the individual room's connection although im sure it hasnt got anything to do with that.

Blog Entries
    I'll take a look at my XP in a while and tell you some exact instructions.

If your friends laptop works in your room, then there isn't anything wrong with the ethernet socket, or cable.

Take your laptop to his room and try it there, if the same thing happens then you can narrow it down to your computer, for certain.

Have you ever used the ethernet port on your laptop before?

Connect your laptop to your room's connection, open 'Run' and type in 'ipconfig'.

Post a screenshot, or a summary of what you see here.

UPDATE:

I've just reviewed my instructions, they're correct. After clicking your Properties on the ethernet connection, you should see that tick box under the 'General' tab.
    Last edited by J1mmy; September 28th, 2007 at 08:34 PM.

My Laptop is still at home, im trying to get my computer working with this Its basically the connections isnt in the system tray (The 2 monitor icon). I can't create a new connection either. I'll post back sunday as i won't be at uni all of tomorrow.

I can't find where to put it in my system tray =[

Hey can any1 of ya'll help I have the same problem but I have vista. I did system Recovery One day and then my comp wouldnt let me connect to the internet using the ethernet cord and i only could use the int5ernet through usb. could any1 help me get my comp to let me use my ethernet cord to get the internet

Post my LAN is not working..?

can any one help me out...see the problem is that I am using dell laptop and due to some problem i have formatted the system few months ago at that time internet ethernet is working properly,,...but after formation when i connect my ethernet LAN cord to the system it doesn't recognise it and LAN light signal which comes on the modem is also not blinking,,,...
    but when I use usb cord to connect it with modem then it works very well....
    and one more thing when I use this ethernet LAN cord to my other system it works well but not on this ,,,,, i could not understand why is this...
    ya one thing more i am using windws XP and my system config. is RAM 1 GB and hard disk 120 gb with intel core core 2 duo
    please any one who can help me out with this problem....is most welcome i will be waiting for your replies,,,

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Hi, and WELCOME TO TECHIMO - from the Folding@Home Team[#111]..!

It sounds like you're needing to get some driver/s for the network card.... As you've said that you can get online with a USB adapter, I would suggest you do that then go to M$ Updates ( http://www.update.microsoft.com ) and check any updates it has listed under "Hardware"...

Another alternative would be to right-click "My Computer" and select "Manage", then go to Device Manager. You should see something that relates to your NIC (Network Interface Card), although it might be listed as "unknown device" in there. Right click anything with a yellow "?" flag, and try to "Update Driver" for it.

Let us know how you get on..!
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Quote Originally Posted by unleash.gaurav View Post
    can any one help me out...see the problem is that I am using dell laptop and due to some problem i have formatted the system few months ago at that time internet ethernet is working properly,,...but after formation when i connect my ethernet LAN cord to the system it doesn't recognise it and LAN light signal which comes on the modem is also not blinking,,,...
    but when I use usb cord to connect it with modem then it works very well....
    and one more thing when I use this ethernet LAN cord to my other system it works well but not on this ,,,,, i could not understand why is this...
    ya one thing more i am using windws XP and my system config. is RAM 1 GB and hard disk 120 gb with intel core core 2 duo
    please any one who can help me out with this problem....is most welcome i will be waiting for your replies,,,

Hi

I had a similar problem with my Dell Laptop , I did all the checks you did , and also tried re-installing the drivers....and soon realized my ethernet card was corrupt/not working anymore

2 potential solutions

- get a PCI ethernet card that you can attach to your PCI port in your laptop, use that as a regular LAN port

- there's also a USB LAN card in the market now (I bought that one) that is cheaper and works just as fine , one end of the card is USB and the other end is the ethernet port.

hope this helps

easy solution that worked for my xp ethernet port

from Network cable unplugged but isn't [Solved]

L1r Jan 16, 2010 3:54pm GMT * Media State Disconnected
    * Ethernet Cable ubplugged

1.) Shut dowm your PC.
    2.) Unplug the power cord.
    3.) If you have a laptop, remove the battery as well.
    4.) Walk away from the problem for at least 30 minutes.
    5.) When you return, reconnect battery and power cord.
    5.) Start as usual.
    6.) If this solves the problem, take 20 minutes and post this to all of those message boards that you didn't find the solution to.

Smile Just a temporary solution

Well I just had the same problem a few days ago and initially thought that there was a problem with the socket on the wall. But when I managed to find a kind PC repair shop employee, he came to check the connection out. The connection worked fine on his laptop but didn't seem to work at all on mine.
    It's really hard to tell what the problem is really, with cases like these. Your never sure if there's a problem with the ethernet port on your laptop(even though it may look just fine) or any other hardware issues. Some shops actually try opening up the laptop and looking at the motherboard to see if any of the wiring is messed up, but really this is extremely time consuming and risky.
    So, I found an USB adaptor that has a socket cable hole on one side and a usb wire connected on the other. You can buy it from any electrica/technical shops,its not very expensive. You also get an installation cd so you set it up,if you connect the port cable from the wall into the usb and connect that to your laptop, it should work fine,and there seems to be no problem with the speed.

Smile Just a temporary solution

Well I just had the same problem a few days ago and initially thought that there was a problem with the socket on the wall. But when I managed to find a kind PC repair shop employee, he came to check the connection out. The connection worked fine on his laptop but didn't seem to work at all on mine.
    It's really hard to tell what the problem is really, with cases like these. Your never sure if there's a problem with the ethernet port on your laptop(even though it may look just fine) or any other hardware issues. Some shops actually try opening up the laptop and looking at the motherboard to see if any of the wiring is messed up, but really this is extremely time consuming and risky.
    So, I found an USB adaptor that has a socket cable hole on one side and a usb wire connected on the other. You can buy it from any electrica/technical shops,its not very expensive. You also get an installation cd so you set it up,if you connect the port cable from the wall into the usb and connect that to your laptop, it should work fine,and there seems to be no problem with the speed.

It sounds like either the system recovery didn't install the correct driver or the driver it installed is corrupt. If you right click on my computer and click on device manager it should show your current configuration. Check to see that your NIC card does not have a red "X" or an exclaimation by it. If it has a red X by it it means that it is disabled. If you click on it you should be able to click on a choice that says "enable". If it has an exclaimation it will most likely be a driver issue. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information