+ Reply to Thread

wireless network connection won't stay connected 2

Hello Everybody

I'm not only a newby to this group but a real idiot when it comes to computers. Actually when I start to read about IP, PPPoP, PCI, etc I get extremelly nerveous.
    I was reading some of the posted threads to see if I can solve my problem but I only got some partial response.

My problem is somehow similar to the one that dcclary posted on Oct.16
    wireless network connection won't stay connected

I did all what needed to be done to get the wireless connection straight, such as reset the router, block the firewall, etc. All the components work except my laptop.

After much struggle I did find some information related to what I think it's the cause.

Looking at the System Information I went to System Drivers and found the following:

pci PCI Bus Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys Kernel Driver Yes Boot Running OK Critical No Yes

Then opened Components - Problem Devices and I got the following:

PCI Device PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_803C&SUBSYS_FF001179&REV_00\4&6B1 6D5B&0&33F0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

I have no idea what this devices is, where is it (or should be), how it affects my wireless communication and how to solve the problem. I bought this laptop on Craig's List and I do not have the cd to reinstall the system. Is anything I can do to fix it?

I really appreciate your help!

Thanks

Hi cortrece. Welcome to Techimo! Don't worry about all the acronyms. We'll try and walk you through them.

Try going to Control Panel >> System >> Hardware tab >> Device Manager. Do you see any devices with a red "X" or yellow "!" next to them?

Hey DanU

Thanks so much for responding to my cry...

It's frustrating to solve something when you have NO idea what to solve...

I've checked the Device Manager and saw Other Devices -PCI Device with a yellow question mark.

No red cross spotted.

Cortrece

Blog Entries
    What kind of computer is this?

You need to install a driver for that PCI device. That is for the network connection. Was it like this from the beginning?

Post a snap shot here from the device manger that you were in. Go there and press the key called print screen on the keyboard. Now just go into paint and on top, edit, paste. Save the picture and upload it here. Need to see exactly what you have going on. Your gonna have to transfer the image to the computer you are using for Internet of course.

Look at the bottom when you type here and you will see a link called manage attachments.

In my picture, does it look like that?
    Last edited by Keymaker; November 2nd, 2007 at 04:53 PM.

Hello Keymaker

What I did was install a driver that helped me to see the network windows that before were showing blank (gray)

Intel(R) 802.11a/b/g,b/g Driver V10.5.1.59/V9.0.4.17 & PROSet V10.5.0.1

But the network still gets dropping. Sometimes I have an excellent signal sometimes poor but even when the signal is great still can't get connected to the internet.

I've attached the Device Manager & the Network Connection Status pic.

My laptop is a Toshiba M105-S322

Thanks

Your wireless network adapter seems to have been installed correctly. However, that "other" device needs a driver. Right click on it, go to "Update Driver" and that should start up the driver installation wizard. See if it will automatically find the right driver.

Alternatively, you can go to the "Add Hardware" wizard from the Control Panel.

Blog Entries
    This is a web bug.

Code:
    [img]http://www.csd.toshiba.com/images/su/dot_clear.gif[img]
    How far away are you from the router? You may need to adjust settings for your wireless adapter. If you go back into the control panel, there is an icon called network connections. Right click your pro wireless connection and you will see options there. How exactly do you have your router hooked up? If you have a wired connection for Internet, than you don't need the wireless on. Just disable the adapter by right clicking on its icon.

In case you don't know. Im sure you do. http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ListType=Model

Are you running Vista?

That other PCI device may be the dialup modem. Vista, XP/2000

I don't think your card is using an Atheros chipset. Otherwise the driver wouldn't even install. I would think.

I think a problem lyes in the configuration of the router and the WIFI card.
    Last edited by Keymaker; November 3rd, 2007 at 09:31 AM.

My laptop runs on XP Service Pack 1

Now I'm connected to the router by ethernet since the wireless doesn't hold although I do have a good signal at times there's no information sent.

When using wireless the computer is about 1-2 rooms away from the router. I had another computer in the same network a month ago and I had no problems,so I think that this laptop is the problem.

" Right click your pro wireless connection and you will see options there. How exactly do you have your router hooked up? If you have a wired connection for Internet, than you don't need the wireless on. Just disable the adapter by right clicking on its icon."

I've checked the Network Connection Properties and I've atteched a pic. of it. I don't know what to look at. Actually I can't upload the pic. : (

I've also "updated" the driver with the installation wizard but it did not find the driver.

"I don't think your card is using an Atheros chipset. Otherwise the driver wouldn't even install. I would think."

There's an Atheros program in the computer but it's blank like it hasn't been installed.

Is it possible that some hardware is bad ?

I wouldn't say there's bad hardware just yet. It sounds more like the drivers are not properly installed. Download all of the required drivers for your laptop from the Toshiba web site and reinstall them.
    This link should get you to the download for your laptop:
    http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ceghdgngdgmn.0

Blog Entries
    You know, I can't sit in front of your computer, so it's very hard to tell what's going on. If you are connected to the router with a LAN cable, then disable that wireless adapter. You right click the adapter's icon and chose disable shown in the picture.

The wireless adapter could have hardware problems. May be the TCP stack, may be the drivers. I had a similar problem once. I had bought a laptop on ebay (inspiron 6000) with the former owners OS still on it. He had mucked up something, because I could not connect to the router for nothing. I even reset the TCP stack. I finally just went ahead and reinstalled the OS. After doing so all worked again. I have a felling the previous owner had got some maleware junk that jacked up the software for the wireless adapter.

In your situation it sounds similar, but you may just have connection issues due to improper configuration. Have you tried changing the wireless channel? In the task bar at the bottom, double click the icon for the wireless adapter. You will find options to do this. Actually, do you have the wireless software installed? This is not the driver. If not, I think Window's wireless zero configuration is taking over. One of these may or may not be yours.

I would move the computer right near the router for testing purposes. That way if you still have constant disconnects, you know there is something beyond range and/or your home's environment that is causing the problem.
    Last edited by Keymaker; November 6th, 2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Drivers

solution for you

what you whanna do is go to my search. search all these items you found. oonce found.

go to file select all. erase them. then empty your can as fast as possible.

then go to control panel go to add harware press yes to the first guestion.

then look for driver by your self by pressing il look for driver of my choice. then go to.

bottom of screen and choose the other list thing. then press drivers. once in it look for.

1370 0r 1350 lan family chipset driver. follow the promps once installed. restart your sys.

your wireless will be recofiguered you should be fine after that. for futher instructions

call for free service 1-518-463-9272 wed thru fri. morninngs after 11am. and at night.
    8pm to 11pm. ask for computer expert david. il help you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information