+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can't access router's "Remote Management" page from inside network. . .?

Hi All,

Strange phenomenon here. I've played with 3 routers: D-Link 624, Hawking HWR54G, and a Trendnet TEW-631BRP.

The issue I'm having is with the TrendNET, and *only* the TrendNET. Basically, I cannot access my Remote Management page from *inside* my network. For instance, if I set Remote Management to active, and give it a port of, say, 8080, I can *only* access that page from computers outside my home network. However, with the other two routers this is not an issue.

What in the world could the TrendNET be doing to prevent me from accessing the Remote Management page from inside the network?

Granted one *should* only need to access the Remote Management page remotely, but I'm a special case here. :P I need to do some testing and this is frustrating me severely. Any ideas?

Regards.
    I reserve the right to contradict myself. . .

Blog Entries
    There shouldn't be a port.. That is indeed for outside connections.

Try the following:

I think the reason why the the routers work may be due to the router using loopback on each computer. Making access to the web configuration page work because the computer looks like its external to the router.

Try it through a proxy. http://cantbustme.com/

Could create a domain name too! www.dyndns.com http://www.tizo.net/ There are others as well.
    Last edited by Keymaker; May 3rd, 2008 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keymaker View Post
    There shouldn't be a port.. That is indeed for outside connections.

Try the following:

No, I can absolutely access all of that internally. The problem is when I type my external IP with the associated "Remote Management Access" port (example: 64.23.138.55:8080) from inside my own network, the page fails to load. However, if I hop onto a nearby wireless network and access the same IP, all works fine.

The router is doing *something* to prevent me from accessing it in a "loopback" fashion (although not a true immediate loopback).

FYI, using a proxy does work. Still this is frustrating as the other two routers don't require any intermediation to work "externally". There has to be some kind of "packet shaping" or "IP range/endpoint filtering" occurring, but there are no granular settings for such.

Also. . .

I suppose I should be more informative. I cannot perform any type of "loopback" (I use that term very loosely) operations from inside the network. I have other ports open running Virtual Servers, and if the request is initiated from inside the network the traffic is blocked. I've tried disabling all aspects of the firewall (all that's exposed anyway) as well as DMZing various machines (didn't think this would have any effect, but tried it anyway).

Could it be some sort of anti-spoofing filter? An old way of hacking into networks is to spoof an internal IP so the router thinks you're a trusted connection. If you're trying to hit the outside address from inside, it may interpret that as a spoof attempt and block it.

Just a shot in the dark since I don't have any experience with TrendNET routers.

Yes, it may very well be. The problem is that that particular functionality (at least as far as I see) is not exposed in the web interface.

Blog Entries
    There isn't a MAC address filter on?

Blog Entries
    Most routers will not let you access the WAN IP or FQDN of the router from WITHIN the LAN by default. So you need to use the LAN IP address of the router from within the LAN, and the WAN IP or FQDN from outside.

Some routers can turn this 'feature' off, but not all.

Cheers
    Mick

edit: Hmm, OK, maybe not most routers, maybe. But certainly it is a common 'features in SOHO routers with NAT enabled. I have used Dlink and Belkin SOHO routers that do this by default. My latest router (Billion) does not have this by default, though.
    Last edited by Mickwish; May 3rd, 2008 at 07:07 PM.
    I don't like sigs on forums like this.

There isn't a MAC address filter on?
    Nope, no MAC address filter of *any* sort. It's all disabled. Although, now, after a manual reset of the hardware I appear to be able to successfully run Virtual Servers and access internal machines on those ports.

Still, for some reason, I cannot access the Management web page unless I'm outside the network.

Blog Entries
    Is the SPI firewall on? How about a software firewall?

Can this router respond to pings? May want to do a release and renew on the hardware.

There wouldn't be an IP address conflict somewhere?

Trya different port number for remote access.
    Last edited by Keymaker; May 3rd, 2008 at 10:03 PM.

Is the SPI firewall on? How about a software firewall?
    I've tried nearly *every* firewall setting toggled both off and on -- including SPI.

Can this router respond to pings? May want to do a release and renew on the hardware.
    It can, but I have it disabled.

There wouldn't be an IP address conflict somewhere?

Trya different port number for remote access.

I've tried various ports ranging from 0 to 65000; even ones that shouldn't be accessible. I've also tried using one of the ports from a successful Virtual Server as the port for Remote Management. Nothing works.

I've called the company and successfully had the issue escalated, but I'm happy to entertain suggestions in the meantime.

Thanks for all your input so far btw!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gberz3 View Post

but I'm happy to entertain suggestions in the meantime.
    That's about all I can do. Wish I new what it could be. It sounds like the router is a stickler when it comes to remote access within the network. I wonder, could the firmware be the source of a problem? Does the router have the latest? May want to read the release notes. This could be an issue that has been fixed with a recent firmware change.

I would run a packet sniffer at the same time making the remote connection. That just me. It may or may not help diagnose the problem. I'm willing to bet you have tried this too.
    Last edited by Keymaker; May 4th, 2008 at 06:07 PM.

I would run a packet sniffer at the same time making the remote connection. That just me. It may or may not help diagnose the problem. I'm willing to bet you have tried this too.

Yup, I've done it all. Actually I started with the firmware and worked from there.

She does what she does TrendyMartini's Avatar
    Linksys!
    if Trendy aint happy, aint nobody happy.
    Twitter: @trendymartini

Ok, this is weird. Just purchased a new D-Link DSL router/modem for a client and set it up. It exhibits similar issues. Although I can access the Remote Management page, no other traffic is allowed in that initiated from inside the network.

I understand why many people would want this behavior by default (preventing DoS and whatnot), but for them to have it on with no way to turn it off is rather annoying. This is obviously a new "feature" as my old D-Link router doesn't exhibit the same issues.

Any suggestions? Any quality firmware to knock this out?

The current pertinent ("brokent") routers are a Trendnet TEW-631BRP, and a D-Link DSL-2640.

Blog Entries
    You should not have to use the external IP address for configuration. Why would you? Just type in the router's IP address to gain entry. If its that's too much of a problem, create an account at Dyndns (Actually, this Probably won't work either..)

What are you trying to accomplish?

FWIW, what ever project this is I would look for a router compatible with DD-WRT or other third party firmware.
    Last edited by Keymaker; May 18th, 2008 at 10:10 AM.

Basically, the main use for this is in test scenarios. I need to be able to "loopback" traffic in order to test "external" connections. Granted I could always call back to the office and have someone really outside the network connect to various networks, or set up an external test server with VNC for this very purpose, but this is obviously less than desirable.

For simple items such as testing web servers I can use proxies successfully, but that still doesn't *fix* the issue.

Blog Entries
    Well, I think if the proxy allows you to test the scenario that should be good. It is a pain I guess, but personally I think the manufacture has written the firmware to prevent remote connections inside the "loop".

Yes, except when setting up items like a VPN you need several ports open, and I doubt there are many (if any) internet proxies that allow for total port customization.

I definitely understand companies doing things like this to protect the "average joe", but they should absolutely allow the option of turning things like this off.

That said, I definitely appreciate everyone's input. Keep it coming as you see fit.

Blog Entries
    Did you try a dns name resolution.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information