+ Reply to Thread

Post New Wireless Connection Won't Authenticate

I just had a slight problem with a new wireless connection I was trying to set up; I'll go through what I did step by step, but suffice to say that the wireless router is working, my external wireless card is working and detects the network, but it can't even try to authenticate and connect for some reason. Maybe there's a tutorial for creating a wireless connection around here, but after a search or two, I was unable to find one (I was also unable to find a good one for my particular combined router/modem on the net). I would appreciate it if someone here knows what my problem might be and might want to help out a little.

Anyway, first my hardware configurations:

Router/modem - Siemens Speedstream 6520; for those who don't know, it serves both as a modem and as a router for both wired and wireless connections. Also, I should note that the technician from my ISP who brought it to replace my old modem didn't bother to leave the manual or drivers; by the time I realized they were missing, he had left. I use some instructions I found online. Firmware version 004-E752-AGB.

- Computer 1 - This one is connected for wired access and works fine. Running Windows XP Pro, with SP2 and most updates (with the exception of SP3) installed). I can provide its specific hardware configuration if it is needed, but I don't see why it would be.

- Computer 2 - This is the computer which I am trying to connect via the wireless connection; due to its location, it is physically impossible to connect it with a physical wire. Running XP Pro, SP2 with most current updates, hardware configuration available if required.

- Wireless Card - D-Link DWL-G122 v. A1 external USB card; installed and appears to be working correctly.

Both computers are set up to use a static IP address, which is necessary to me (for purposes of port forwarding).

Anyway, here is what I did:

First, after accessing the wireless setup options under the router's configuration page, I changed the SSID to Speedstream, left Channel set to 11, left encryption level at 128 bit, and left the SSID Broadcast box checked (or checked it).

On the next page, I chose a shared key, and used a Passphrase to generate a new key.

On the next page, I initially enabled the security filter so that only 1 wireless device could connect; that with the MAC address of my wireless card. When I met with failure the first time, I went back and disabled the filter, although that didn't seem to make a difference to my success. It is currently disabled.

On the last page, these are the current settings;
    Data Transfer Rate: Auto
    RTS/CTS Threshold: 2432]
    Fragmentation Threshold: 2346

On Computer 2, I installed the wireless card with the correct driver from D-Link's site; it appears to be working correctly. When editing the properties for the wireless network, however, I entered in the actual network key instead of the passphrase; I don't know if that makes a difference. Anyway, after enabling my wireless connection, I used to get messages stating that I could not connect; now, the connection attempt just fails without giving me an explanation.

I just also tried connecting without the use of a network key, changing both the settings on Computer 2 and the router to allow this - my status is now showing up as connecting with excellent signal strength, but I cannot get a single page to load.

BTW - The instructions I used were those from Siemen's official site:

Siemens AG - FAQ's: 4200 & 6520

Would anyone here be able to provide me with some help please? Thank you.

Post Answers...

1. From what I can tell from some quick research, this series of routers (Siemens 6500 series) does indeed support DHCP. However, as I have no experience in this area, I would have no idea how to access that portion of the router's configuration (I just looked around the configuration page and saw nothing), or what changes to make even if I was able to find it.

2. I have indeed tried that; even with an automatic connection without a network key, I cannot access any pages at all. However, without a network key, computer 2 will connect and the connection strength is always excellent; I just can't get anything to load. Plus, my network is left open to wardrivers and others.

3. Computer 2 is located in a room directly above where the router/modem is located; they are separated by the ceiling, but there is an air intake system that actually connects both rooms (the only two in the house connected like that); this may make the signal stronger, although it probably doesn't matter. Anyway, as you can see from me response in number 2, the signal strength doesn't seem to be at issue.

4. Yes, the static IP on each computer is working perfecting and shows up at the command prompt correctly.

Thank you very much for your help so far.

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    The DHCP section is normally in a section called something like "LAN IP Settings", and in there you could assign a reservation that gives PC1 .X and PC2 .Y addresses.

I've had a similar issue whereby my (USB dongle) wireless wouldn't connect to my WAP1 in the same manner as you mentioned above, although it would connect to my WAP2 fine. As I've run a CAT5 cable between the two routers/locations it doesn't really matter to me, although I would be interested in finding out the cause/solution.

My only thought - which I haven't tried/tested - would be to go into the advanced settings for the wireless connector and manually enter the SSID and key (the hex one, not the passphrase) and see if that works. Having said that I'm not sure whether that's something you've had a go at.

The one other Q I have, is to double-check that when you stated that you have disabled the filter you mean that you have disabled the lock-down setting for the wireless - not that you've blocked that MAC addy from connecting.........?
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

I don't think that Roots' suggestion would fix, as it appears to be a connection to the AP issue - or at least that's what I'm getting.

Having said that, if AG can get the connection up............

AG,
    Have you tried to PING the other computer (from both computers) by name and/or IP...? If you can get connected, then you should be able to get some responses.

One further thought, what are the DNS servers for both computers - if the first has got an external DNS server but the other doesn't then this could well be the reason that you can't get pages to load - esp if the 2nd doesn't have any DNS, or the DNS on the router has been disabled/switched off.........

Do IPCONFIG/ALL on both, and let us know what the settings are....
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Post Update

@ Nude_Lewd_Man - They both have the same DNS server, and it's an external one. And also, I haven't tried to ping one from the other yet, but I will try tomorrow.

@ Nude_Lewd_Man & Rootstonian - I've been a bit busy with work lately, so I haven't had time to try anything you've suggested lately; but either tomorrow or Friday I will, and then I'll post back with the results. Thanks again for helping out in the meantime.

Blog Entries
    Authenticate, as in you are using encryption? Like WPA2 or what?

If so, some client software for wireless cards may not like that type of encryption you use in the router. If for example you use WPA2 personal AES+CCMP or AES-TKIP in the client software on the computer, then you may need to set the router with WPA2 pre-shared key mixed. Instead of say WPA2 Pre-shared key only. Always use WPA or WPA2 not WEP!

But like roots mentioned, disable security first. I would only configure the router with a network cable first. As a lot of times neighbors will leave the default settings in their router on. So you don't need to configure theirs along with your router. This means unscrewing the antennas too.

The fact that you entered the key instead of pass phrase may mean its in the registry still. So maybe the card's driver should be reinstalled.

Home Networking Guide - Set up a Home Network
    Last edited by Keymaker; May 21st, 2008 at 10:42 PM.

Talking Connection Fixed

I haven't posted here in a while (too busy at work, and too frustrated with the network) - I apologize for the delay in getting back to you, but I thought I should now post back here to finish this up.

I just got up and reanabled the wireless network, and for reasons I may never understand, computer 2 simply began connecting to the network with no problems at all (I also tried my laptop for the first time and it worked without a problem as well). I have no idea why this is working now, but it may be because earlier, I disabled an option for file encryption under my network settings on Computer 2 (I believe it was set to WEP, but I don't really remember). Anyway, hopefully this discussion has helped out a couple of other people here who are having wireless problems themselves.

Thanks everyone for posting to help out.

can not authenicate

Right click wireless icon on taskbar it beings up Wireless Network connection.
    On the left select Change Advanced settings
    Select Wireless Network tab at the top
    Your current connection should be at the top
    Select Properties
    Select Authentication tab at the top
    Uncheck Enable IEEE 802.1x
    Select Ok
    Select Ok
    Try it

Quote Originally Posted by Old Scouter View Post
    Right click wireless icon on taskbar it beings up Wireless Network connection.
    On the left select Change Advanced settings
    Select Wireless Network tab at the top
    Your current connection should be at the top
    Select Properties
    Select Authentication tab at the top
    Uncheck Enable IEEE 802.1x
    Select Ok
    Select Ok
    Try it
    Hi, and WELCOME TO TECHIMO - from the Folding@Home Team [#111]..!

That sounds like it would work, but I think that the issue was already solved just over three years ago....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information