+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do i connect 2 laptops together via WiFi without a router?

Hi, I want to connect 2 laptops together without a router, and use one of them to connect to the Internet??? Both laptops have Bluetooth, and WiFi, so i could use either to interconnect.

Currently i have a simple MSHOME network setup, with 2 desktops, 2 laptops and a Router and connect all computers to the Internet through our Verizon Cell phone (via Bluetooth). All computers are normally interconnected via Ethernet, except one which via WiFi to the router. I have assigned my own IP Addresses.

When we go in the motohome with just the laptops, i would prefer not to take the router along. I'd like one of the laptops to connect to the cell phone and the other laptop to connect to that one by either Bluetooth or Wifi. One laptop uses WinXP SP3 Firewall and the other WinXP SP2 ZoneAlarm Free version.

Thanks for any pointers, i tried doing a search but found nothing.
    Ron

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks much--this is what i was looking for. I searched a number of forums, and googled it, but never found anything this detailed. I'll give it a try and post back what i find.

Thanks again,
    Ron

Blog Entries
    I have posted that several times and those who have used it said it worked perfectly. Good luck

Is your problem solved?

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

No i did not get it to work. My network has been set up and works fine, so i tried to get it all connected without disturbing what was already connected and working. The Proceedure which GroundZero 3 linked to, sez to remove the connections and start with ad-hoc. I did not do that--so maybe i need to RFM again.

Using WinExplorer i can explore either of the 2 laptops (from the other) using either WiFi or Bluetooth PAN. While either of the 2 laptops, individually, connect to the Internet via Bluetooth to my Verizon Cell phone, so far i don't have ICS working.

I have read on other forums, and a yellow triangle warning that comes up while i was configuring WiFi on the XP SP3 laptop, that ad-hoc can not use ICS. That's when i tried The Bluetooth PAN---BUT i forgot to change the LAN connection on the ICS computer to 192.168.0.1. Maybe it that will make a difference. I'll try it again this evening..

If you have any pointers here, i'd appreciate them. One thing i'd like to do is create a 2nd WiFi Connection just for the ad-hoc so i can Enable one, and Disable the other. And if i could do that with a LAN on the ICS computer, i could do the same with those.
    This morning when i thought i was adding a 2nd WiFi, it just added another connection (i hope that's the correct terminology) to MS Windows network--so i just called MSHOME 2. Pehaps the name needs to be something other than mshome.

tia, Ron

can u display for me what service you wanna use the 2 laptops only via wifi without router ?

did u use the ad-hoc mode of the wireless adapters ?

Blog Entries
    If you want to keep the other connections, just move the ADHOC profile to the first in the list. This will force the laptop to use this profile first

Blog Entries
    Its pretty much the same instructions that I posted

i know dude but to be everything Beside him

Hi. Yes i had both set to Computer to computer (ad hoc) networks only, with the Automatically connect box UNCHECKED.

I'm going to call the 2 computer SP3 and SP2, because that's the version of XP installed on them. Using SP3 i can explore the shared folder on SP2 and visa versa. The WiFi (or the Bluetooth) connections works fine. I can transfer files from 1 to the other.

SP3 is one i want to have ICS and use BT to the Cell Phone to connect to the Internet. I think SP3 is the one which is not configured correctly. As an example--when i look at the WiFi Properties, Advanced tab, click Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet Connection---the dropdown box has the Local Area Connection and the Bluetooth Network. Which one of these do i select? Then---which ever i select, what is it's IP Address? I have tried the LAC with the IP ady set to 192.168.0.1 and no joy.

ron

your internet plugged @ LAN , so you will take the share thru bluetooth to the Cell phone.
    you can share with any private address both of same subnet.

how u take the internet ? throught lan ? and the internet dial up or by Static ip or DHCP ?
    Last edited by RicheemxX; January 14th, 2009 at 11:02 PM.

Hi, I have the url for the 2nd MS link--thanks.

The cell phone is accessed by Bluetooth as DUN and listed under Network Connections/Dial-up. My intention is, while away from home with the 2 laptops, they will be ONLY connected via WiFi or BT--which ever gets working first.

All my IP addresses are assigned by me.
    SP3 BT PAN is 169.254.175.176/255.255.0.0 default gateway is 169.254.175.176 and the preferred DNS server is 169.254.175.176.
    SP2 BT PAN is 169.254.212.239/255.255.0.0 Default Gateway is 169.254.175.176 and
    the preferred DNS server is 192.168.0.1, Alt= 168.254.175.176.

SP3 WiFi is 192.168.0.11,255.255.255.0, Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and the
    Preferred DNS server is 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.200.1--the ady of my router.

SP2 WiFi is 192.168.0.45, 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1, and the
    Preferred DNS server is 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.200.1--the ady of my router.

SP3 LAN is 192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and the Preferred DNS Server is 192.168.0.1.

SP2 LAN is 192.168.0.4, 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and the
    Preferred DNS Server is 192.168.0.1.

As i mentioned before--with the above setups, when i am in ad-hoc mode, i can "see" the other laptop, so the network is working. I think i need to change some for the Default Gateway and/or the DNS server.
    I hope this answers your questions.

thanks, ron

edited--corrected SP3 WiFi IP, and added the SP@ LAN
    Last edited by rondi; January 15th, 2009 at 12:16 AM.

how's this like that : SP3 LAN is 192.168.0.1, 255.255.255.0, Default Gateway is 192.168.0.1 and the Preferred DNS Server is 192.168.0.1.
    ?
    you can't config this like that ....
    you need to put the DNS which u r getting interner from make ipconfig /all and take the dns and put them
    what is the SP3 LAN ? the incomming internet?
    + the another SP2 what 's it ?
    you want to join 2 laptops via Ad hoc and work via bluetooth on you cell phone internet?
    give me the ip of the router
    and the laptop which u connect via internet go to cmd make for me ipconfig /all to check ...

Blog Entries
    Okay first things first before we get ahead of ourselves. Did you get ADHOC mode working between the two laptops?

Sorry i'm late getting back to posting--i got a day job too

Yes GZ3, i got the ad-hoc to work fine, both WiFi and Bluetooth. Nothing is configured now--i had to do a System Restore to a time before all this. I think it is going to be more trouble trying to do this without a router, than with. It's one more piece of gear to take along, but the way my WiFi Properties would have to change EVERY time i went on the road, and then when i came home---i don't think it's worth it. Nothing i tried got me an additional entry for WiFi.

We have 2 desktops cabled to the router, and 2 laptops WiFi'd to the router. The one desktop has Bluetooth which is how we connect to the cell phone to the internet. The way i wanted to do it for the road, would mean changing the Wifi on both laptops to Ad-Hoc (and thier IP Adys), and changing the way one of them connects to the Inet. Maybe when i get more free time i'll try it again.

moekad, thanks for your help too. SP3 is a Samsung NC10 Netbook with XP Home SP3, and Bluetooth and Wifi built in. SP2 is a Toshiba A75 with Wifi builtin and a PCMCIA Bluetooth card. As the title of the thread sez-- i wanted NO router. Yes 2 laptops connected via ad-hoc and one of them connects (tethered) to the cell phone (Internet--wireless broadband, so they say) via Bluetooth. Too many changes involved to switch it for the road, and then switch it for home.

So, Thanks guys for the help, but the router is the way for us.

Ron

what i understand from you is you got 2 Desktop connect 2 router and 2 laptops with Bluetooth/Wifi build in connected as Ad-hoc mode and one of the laptop connected to cell phone broadband internet by bluetooth ? in this case your laptops is away from the desktops, since laptops which they have ad-hoc mode can't see the desktops which they are connected to the router ! so one laptop is connected to the internet you want the other laptop which have ad-hoc mode to connect to the internet? so make config the both of laptops one of them : 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.252 and the other : 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.252 and default gateway : 192.168.0.1 if they are ICS they would take internet. then so what do you need in this case ?

Blog Entries
    rondi I think getting a router is a good choice too.

They are so cheap these days and with the extra protection and higher wireless security, there is no reason to get one these days

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information