+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Acer Aspire One Wireless Connection Issue

I know this will sound silly to most of you but I cannot get my new Acer Aspire One to connect to my wireless internet.

I currently have a Mac wireless connected via a Linksys Wireless-G Cable Gateway, works fine. I bought a MSi Wind and after 8 hours of trouble shooting with Linksys, Comcast, MSi the conclusion was that the wireless card in the Wind must be broken. I decided to return it and got an Acer because it was on sale and will meet my needs and I could go into the store to get it.

Got the Acer yesterday and it is having the exact same problem. It finds my network but doesn't ever connect. It just tries for a few minutes and then stops trying and there is no connection. I have troubleshooted again with Linksys and with Comcast. I cannot find a working phone number in the US for Acer and am at my wits end. I made an appt with Geek Squad but they want $130 minimum to come out and that totally negates the discount I got on the netbook. Should I have paid more for the HP? Would it make a difference?

Anyway, if anyone can help me connect my new netbook to my wireless router, without charging $130 I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you,
    DB

Thread title changed for clarity!
    -Rich
    Last edited by RicheemxX; January 25th, 2009 at 04:40 PM.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What os is the acer running? Do you have any kind of security setup on the wireless? Do you have mac address filtering enabled? We need alot more information about the network. What is the model of the linksys gateway?

So sorry. I am not very computer savvy and don't know what info you need. I appreciate the questions - and please word them simply as I am one of those people who turns on the computer, does word processing, some xcel, and email.

The acer OS is Windows XP. The wireless security is a WEP code that I have input. I don't know what mac address filtering is or how to enable/disable it. The linksys is a Wireless-G Cable Gateway model WCG200.

My network originally was set up with an ancient desktop PC with Windows XP connected physically to the Linksys and a Mac (OS X) laptop connected wirelessly. I then added a printer/fax/copier so the Linksys is now connected to the printer physically and the desktop (which I want to get rid of and replace with the new netbook).

I hope this answers some questions and someone has some ideas for me.

Thank you, thank you,

DB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dobauer View Post
    So sorry. I am not very computer savvy and don't know what info you need. I appreciate the questions - and please word them simply as I am one of those people who turns on the computer, does word processing, some xcel, and email.

The acer OS is Windows XP. The wireless security is a WEP code that I have input. I don't know what mac address filtering is or how to enable/disable it. The linksys is a Wireless-G Cable Gateway model WCG200.

My network originally was set up with an ancient desktop PC with Windows XP connected physically to the Linksys and a Mac (OS X) laptop connected wirelessly. I then added a printer/fax/copier so the Linksys is now connected to the printer physically and the desktop (which I want to get rid of and replace with the new netbook).

I hope this answers some questions and someone has some ideas for me.

Thank you, thank you,

DB

Are you sure you are putting in the WEP code correctly on the acer? Who setup your wireless security?

I am sure that I am putting in the WEP correctly. I have done it 2 dozen times, checked and rechecked it. I have done it on the Mac, with the same code, when I got a new hard drive and it worked for that. A friend helped us set up our wireless but we didn't change the security code from what it was when we first set it up.

Thanks again
    DB

Blog Entries
    Do you have the latest drivers installed for the wireless card?

What i use to do for wep is copy it into notepad that way i can copy and paste the key into windows without any issues. I would also contact your friend on what he helped with when setting up the wireless.

The acer should have a sticker on the front palm rest that says 24-7 support call: XXX-xxx-XXXX ... Im not at home so i cant put in the real number.

NemoWolf - there is no sticker with a phone number anywhere on the acer. If you can give me that number that would be great.

GroundZero3 - How do I find out if I have the latest drivers? As I said, I bought the computer two days ago so I thought it would have the latest stuff on it but maybe it doesn't.

I took the computer over to a friends house today and I was able to get onto their network without issue. this makes me even more confused as I am now home and still cannot get onto my network. I re-input the code but it is still not working.

Thank you.
    DB

Rootstonian - I don't know. How do I find that?

Thank you
    DB

phone for acer

support is good for one year then after that there is a charge 1-866-895-2237

acer support

1-866-695-2237 free tech support for one year .....good luck

Talking Acer Aspire One Connection Issue Reply

I had the same problem. My brand new ACER Aspire One would not connect to the Internet. We returned it and got another, with the same problem. I called ACER Tech support, and they said it might be a security setting with my router. We checked Internet access in town at WiFi places, and had no problem. My router is a NETGEAR WGR614 v7. I called the NETGEAR support, and they said even with a security setting, the ACER should still see a signal. I went to the NETGEAR site to check my settings by typing in 192.168.1.1 in the address box of IE. I then went into Advanced Settings. A box named SSID was not checked, and it said something about blocking signals to unauthorized computers. I checked that box, and now can get wireless. I do not know what SSID really is, and I really do not know why the NETGEAR guy did not say anything about it. It took me two full days of research until I finall found this solution.

acer one xp wireless fix

i had these problems to with windows xp i install the older driver and now its perfect here is the link
    Wireless_Atheros_XP32_XP64_WHQL_(5.3.0.45_logo).zi p - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Jon is the man - Acer Aspire Wireless solution

IU found tha answer at Acer Aspire One netbook wireless problem? - Yahoo! Answers.

The Acer Aspire One has a very silly default setting (IMHO). The network adapter was defaulting to maximum power saving mode, so it would (theoretically) re-establish the connection for every network request (except all would time out, because the handshake was still taking place). Jon's answer:

it is caused by the power management setting in the wireless network adapter. Apparently, the wireless card has its own power management settings that are independent from Windows power management. Anyway, to fix the problem go to Start->Control Panel->System. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button. Select Network Adapters->Atheros Wireless Network Adapter. Right click and select Properties. Select the Advanced tab, then select Power Save Mode and set the value to Off.

I think I lost my first reply because I had to register - Jon is the man at Acer Aspire One netbook wireless problem? - Yahoo! Answers.

There is a silly (IMHO) default network setting in the Acer Aspire's Atheron adapter, max power saver mode. It disconnects after a request has received a response, so the next request means reconnecting and timing out...

His instructions were perfect:
    I found it is caused by the power management setting in the wireless network adapter. Apparently, the wireless card has its own power management settings that are independent from Windows power management. Anyway, to fix the problem go to Start->Control Panel->System. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button. Select Network Adapters->Atheros Wireless Network Adapter. Right click and select Properties. Select the Advanced tab, then select Power Save Mode and set the value to Off.

I just got one of these myself and was afraid I was going to have to return it, but it is connecting great now!

Red face You guys are great!

Thanks so much for contributing to this forum. I think you just solved this frustrating problem for me too.

fromage

is your aspire 802.11 capable? It may not be. You may need to plug a wirless device into the usb

Unhappy desperate...

I TRIED ALL THESE CHANGES SUGGESTED AND NOTHING HAPPENED STILL MY ACER DOES NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET EVEN THOUGH I TYPE IN THE PASSWORD, I AM READY TO PULL OUT MY HAIR....

Quote Originally Posted by kdmccoy View Post
    I think I lost my first reply because I had to register - Jon is the man at Acer Aspire One netbook wireless problem? - Yahoo! Answers.

There is a silly (IMHO) default network setting in the Acer Aspire's Atheron adapter, max power saver mode. It disconnects after a request has received a response, so the next request means reconnecting and timing out...

His instructions were perfect:
    I found it is caused by the power management setting in the wireless network adapter. Apparently, the wireless card has its own power management settings that are independent from Windows power management. Anyway, to fix the problem go to Start->Control Panel->System. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button. Select Network Adapters->Atheros Wireless Network Adapter. Right click and select Properties. Select the Advanced tab, then select Power Save Mode and set the value to Off.

I just got one of these myself and was afraid I was going to have to return it, but it is connecting great now!

me too...

i have the same problem...
    all it says it is acquiring network but after that it just quit, (the final verdict everytime it does this is that it cannot connect)

arggggggggggggghhhhhhh!!!

but i will try these suggestions tonight when i get home, to see if it works and will let you know.

Ta,

i sent mine to acer and they couldnt fix it , it would connect to every other wireless in my house but mine even though every other wirelss enabeld device worked but my acer....i installed windows 7 on it and for some weird reason it fixed all the problems and it runs even better and faster with it ...i had xp on it before

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information