+ Reply to Thread

Which routers are IPv6 enabled?

Can anybody suggest me any IPv6 enabled routers? (please give the detailed information, like brand, type etc)

Thanks very much in advance.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Depending on the IOS loaded on a Cisco router, it can support IPv6

As for home routers? I havent seen any out of the box as there isnt a huge demand for IPv6 in SOHO networks. However I do know that DD-WRT firmware supported home routers can do IPv6

IPv6 (tutorial) - DD-WRT Wiki

I second that...
    I coudlve sworn that Netgear is developing a IpV6 for home use/small business use.. but why?

Internal communication, even with IPv4 on an enterprise is a solid and proven solution.

VERY few copiers, and printers,etc network devices understand IPV6 communcations.
    He who seeks vengeance must dig two graves. One for his enemy, and one for himself.-- Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by jokostel View Post
    I second that...
    I coudlve sworn that Netgear is developing a IpV6 for home use/small business use.. but why?

Internal communication, even with IPv4 on an enterprise is a solid and proven solution.

VERY few copiers, and printers,etc network devices understand IPV6 communcations.
    HP provides IPV6 support on most of their Network enabled printers from what ive seen. Its either off by default or on some kind of autodetection but i see it listed when i print out a settings page.

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    Depending on the IOS loaded on a Cisco router, it can support IPv6
    Thanks. I'm very unfamiliar with the Cisco routers (or actually any of the Cisco products). Do you know which specific IOS version does support IPv6 of Cisco routers? And how can I check the IOS version on a Cisco router?
    (I have never used any of the big fancy Cisco WAN routers, all I know is that they are very expensive)

As for home routers? I havent seen any out of the box as there isnt a huge demand for IPv6 in SOHO networks. However I do know that DD-WRT firmware supported home routers can do IPv6

IPv6 (tutorial) - DD-WRT Wiki
    Good to know that DD-WRT firmware have the support of IPv6.
    The following link contains a wide array of supported routers which work with DD-WRT.

Supported Devices - DD-WRT Wiki

Blog Entries
    when you log into a cisco router using telnet or the console cable a show ver will tell you what IOS version the router is running

This document should give more information on ipv6 and Cisco technologies
    IPv6 - Cisco Systems

Also be aware if you are planning to use IPv6 from your ISP, they must support it!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jokostel View Post
    I second that...

Totally agree with that. IPv4 have been in the market for over 10 years(maybe). However, in the foreseeable future there is a need someday of the IPv6 addresses and there are already a bunch of protocols devised to cater for IPv6 network connectivity.

What do you mean by IPv6 enabled?

Be careful about what you ask for, you may get it!

IPv6 relates to a large number of protocols/RFCs/standards many of which are not ratified.

Cisco will tell you that all (or almost all) of the equipment they sell does IPv6, but when you come to deploy them you suddenly find that key functions are missing or require a s/w upgrade.
    This is most obvious with their firewalls (Pix/ASA appliances). They do IPv6, but they don't do ANY IPv6 routing protocols (unless you count static routing!), you can't have a failover unit and you can't do any configuration of the Router Advertisements. I'm not aware that any other vendors firewalls are any better!
    Their normal router (or "multi-layer switch") range will do just about everything as long as you pay for the top end version of IOS and run a version that was released in Dec '08 or later.

Basically, you need to be aware that devices that are IPv6 compatible/enabled will generally not do everything in IPv6 that they can do in IPv6.

Apple's wireless router

As a bonus it also lets you connect USB printers and/or hard drives to share on the network:

Apple - AirPort Extreme - Technical Specs

Quote Originally Posted by john-g View Post
    Their normal router (or "multi-layer switch") range will do just about everything as long as you pay for the top end version of IOS and run a version that was released in Dec '08 or later.
    Can I assume that I can buy a very basic 2500/2600 series router and install the latest IOS version and have the IPv6 enable? Since I also would like to prepare for the CCNA test.

Quote Originally Posted by john-g View Post
    Basically, you need to be aware that devices that are IPv6 compatible/enabled will generally not do everything in IPv6 that they can do in IPv6.
    This is a good viewpoint, thanks.

Blog Entries
    If this is only for training i suggest you look into this

GNS3 |

Quote Originally Posted by jiafanzhou View Post
    Can I assume that I can buy a very basic 2500/2600 series router and install the latest IOS version and have the IPv6 enable? Since I also would like to prepare for the CCNA test.
    To be honest, I can't say for sure. I have been working with IPv6 on the routers that we already have. I haven't been involved in choosing models so am not qualified to speak on various models.
    A quick google says that a 2500 will do (whatever that means) IPv6 if running
    12.2T with the IP PLUS feature set, or
    12.3 with the IP PLUS feature set.
    Also check out the following Cisco presentation on the ARIN site:
    https://www.arin.net/meetings/minute...Cisco_Hain.ppt
    The copyright date on this is 2002, but it claims the 2500 would do most IPv6 things back then!
    I think the thing to watch is the feature set.

IPv6 support

On Cisco routers, many will support it, but you must either buy a unit with, or add "Advanced IP services" to the base IOS found on most cisco gear. This costs almost as much as the router itself. If you want a basic Cisco router with IPv6 included, see CISCO1841-SEC/K9. The flash memory and RAM must be large enough to support Advanced IP Services. Many Juniper routers support IPv6. They used to include it at no additional charge - I understand they now charge extra, just like Cisco.

My company sells a full dual stack (IPv4+IPv6) firewall/router with all functionality for either direct dual stack service from an ISP (if you can find one) or direct IPv4 service plus free tunneled IPv6 service (inside the LAN it is real dual stack). Check out SolidWall, from InfoWeapons. For a complete list of fully certified IPv6 products, check out IPv6 Ready Logo Site | Home, and the Phase 2 Approved Products list. We also have a fully dual stack DNS/DHCP server (SolidDNS) and a dual stack VoIP server (SolidPBX).

Look on eBay you can find good used Cisco Routers. The 1841 or 2801 are good routers for both IPv4 and IPv6. I tunnel to HE using a Cisco 2801 router with a MegaPath T1. I was using a 2620XM and switched to a 2801 I got on eBay for just over $300.00... works very well thank you...:-)
    Last edited by Rick6981; January 28th, 2012 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information