+ Reply to Thread
    Si vis pacem, para bellum daveleau's Avatar

Wireless PCI NIC supported by Win 7 & WRT54G2?

Hi everybody,

Does anyone know of a NIC (for a desktop) that will work with a WRT54G2 (Linksys G router) and WRE54G (wireless signal extender) and is supported by Windows 7?

My Gateway is having huge problems under Vista (driver crashes), so I was thinking of trying Win 7. I installed it in a dual boot (Vista on C and Win7 on D) and my WMP54G Linksys NIC is not supported. So, I need a NIC supported by Win7 that will work with my router and extender.

Thanks!
    Dave

Most Vista drivers work with Windows 7.
    No Windows 7 drivers yet? Try using Vista’s - TechSpot Blog
    If it doesn't work, Win7 may elect to run it in Compatibility mode.
    Give it a try.

Administrator
    Daveleau! Welcome back! I see that you started posting again on 5/14 but you were on a hiatus since September. How have you been?
    Please recommend TechIMO.com to your friends and family!

Blog Entries
    Did you try installing the drivers that came with the NIC or something?

Unless you need drivers for some reason (like a gaming graphics card or if Windows doesn't have native drivers for it) I don't recommend installing any. I would try uninstalling the drivers for it and I'd be willing to bet that Vista will have native drivers for it.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Windows Update is the best source for Windows 7 drivers. If you can get online via ethernet, Windows Update may find a driver for the wireless adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottW View Post
    Daveleau! Welcome back! I see that you started posting again on 5/14 but you were on a hiatus since September. How have you been?
    Doing great, Scott. Thanks for the nice welcome. Trying to downplay my computer knowledge with the USAF so I don't get stuck with all the extra jobs our computer guys neglect to fix. I'm busy enough as it is. I am really glad to see the site is still doing very well, as is RR. I check RR more often than stuff here because I haven't been tinkering as much at home with my systems. (Again, the busy thing.) I hope you are doing well!

Dave

Thanks for the help guys. Once I get my OS Selector to find my Win 7 partition, I'll be in business. Right now, I have to hide my Vista partition to boot into Win 7, which is a pain, as it means I can't see the data I need on my Vista drive. But, I've got that part licked, I think.

The fix I found was to load the Ralink Technologies Inc 802.11b/g wireless adapter driver, and it works like a charm. No issues so far, as this link says it is the same network chipset as the Linksys card I have (WMP54G). Here's a good link for those who have the same issue: How to install WMP54G Drivers on Windows 7 Beta 64 bit (or Vista 64 bit) | PhishThis!

For those interested in Win 7, I highly recommend the RC build 7100. It works very well, and is stable. I haven't run into any apps that won't work, yet. Much better/faster than Vista. And, with the RC, it won't deactivate until June 2010.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information