+ Reply to Thread

My wireless connection never exceeds 11 mbps

For my internet, I used to have a Netgear MA111 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter. My conenction was never past 11 mbps. I got a new adapter that on the box says "Up to 54 mbps". My new adapter is a SMC SMCWUSB-G IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 EZ Connect 2.4GHz Wireless Adapter.
    With this new adapter, I'm still only getting 11 mbps. What the heck? Where is my other 43?

My parents have their computer hooked up to the internet via cable, and theres a router there too. The router is a Netgear WGR614 Wireless Router 802.11g. It too is supposed to be doing 54mbps. Whenever I'm on their computer the internet speed is way faster.

So...can anyone help inform me as to why I'm not getting the full blown 54mbps?

Here are links to the actual product, in case more info is needed.

Old Adapter: Amazon.com: Netgear MA111 802.11b Wireless USB Adapter: Electronics

New Adapter: Amazon.com: SMC Networks SMC SMCWUSB-G IEEE 802.11b/g USB 2.0 EZ Connect 2.4GHz Wireless Adapter: Electronics

Router: Amazon.com: Netgear WGR614 Wireless-G Router: Electronics

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Did you remove all the old drivers/application for the old network card? Check your wireless router admin settings to see if its set hard to 802.11B or if its set to B/G. Do you have the latest firmware installed on the router? Also what version of usb does your laptop have? If its 1.0 it wont go over 11 Mbps as that is what the usb standard is limited too

I just reformatted my computer, and reinstalled my new driver. So yes, my old drivers and etc are removed.
    I'm using a Windows XP Desktop computer. This computer is older, so I'm not sure if it has USB 1.0 or not. I'm pretty sure it has 2.0 though, most XP computers should have 2.0...right?
    I updated the driver, nothing changed.
    When looking at my setting, it says that the operating mode is "802.11g". I can't tell what my parents' router settings are because I have no idea how their connection is set up. Is there an easy way to see if their router is 802.11B or not?

Blog Entries
    The usb version is based on hardware, not os

What is your system specs?

The router do you have any other options to set for the 802.11G part? There should be a drop down menu which says B, B/G and G. Do you have the latest firmware installed on the router?

Maybe I'm missing something...What download speed are you paying for through your ISP? I'm paying a fortune for 10mbps and get maybe 8 most of the time.
    "If you can keep your head and remain calm when all those about you are panicking...perhaps you don't fully understand the situation!"

Blog Entries
    His wireless connection to his router is only getting 11 Mbps when he has a G router and network card. This wont affect his internet connection, however something is not right if he is only connecting to the router with that speed.

Are you using the windows wireless manager or the software for the network card? I assume for testing you have moved your laptop right next to the router.

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    The 802.11b standard is 11Mb maximum
    The 802.11g standard is 54Mb maximum

Remember the word maximum. Both the card and the router are 802.11g but if your distance is too far or you have interference, the speed will drop.

You can also check the settings on the router to assure it is set for "g" speeds.
    Last edited by MTAtech; July 8th, 2009 at 03:44 PM.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

I went to my router settings, and found the drop down menu.
    My computer now reads 54 mbps. Thanks a ton!

Blog Entries
    Excellent glad you got it working!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information