+ Reply to Thread

Computer won't detect wireless card, so it won't show up in device manager, so...

how can I install the driver? It's a .sys , one of the ones where you have to click 'update driver', then select the file, you can't just double click it.

What do I do? I know the card is on my computer, I don't know why Windows 7 can't see it. I know it isn't malfunctioning because when I used software that scans your computer and tells you everything that's on it (Everest) it showed up. So how do I install it?

anyone?

anyone?

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Whats the make and model of your computer? or the make and model of the card? Where did you get the driver files from? Driver files general come as an exe but in the case they didn't they should include the .inf along side the .sys. That's what you need to point to, not the sys file.

What is the rest of the network setup? Modem, wireless router ect? Its hard to troubleshoot without many details!

If Everest listed it then it has to be listed in the device manager, do you have any "unknown devices"?
    Last edited by RicheemxX; December 12th, 2009 at 08:58 PM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Quote Originally Posted by RicheemxX View Post
    Whats the make and model of your computer? or the make and model of the card? Where did you get the driver files from? Driver files general come as an exe but in the case they didn't they should include the .inf along side the .sys. That's what you need to point to, not the sys file.

What is the rest of the network setup? Modem, wireless router ect? Its hard to troubleshoot without many details!

If Everest listed it then it has to be listed in the device manager, do you have any "unknown devices"?
    my laptop is a compaq nc8000, I have the .inf too. The modem and router work fine when I use my pen drive network adapter. How would I go about installing the drive when it doesn't show up in the device manager?

edit: not in the device manager, no unknown devices.

It only shows up in Everest when I 'run as administrator'.
    Last edited by milto; December 13th, 2009 at 02:36 AM.

oh and the card is the 802.11g atheros

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If its not listed in the device manager as either a working device or as an unknown then either you have it turned off, its disabled or not working altogether. Are you certain you have it turned on?

Where did you get the drivers from? HP/Compaq doesn't list drivers for either Vista or W7?
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Quote Originally Posted by RicheemxX View Post
    If its not listed in the device manager as either a working device or as an unknown then either you have it turned off, its disabled or not working altogether. Are you certain you have it turned on?

Where did you get the drivers from? HP/Compaq doesn't list drivers for either Vista or W7?
    I bought this computer second hand with all the drivers installed etc. The guy who sold it to me gave me a cd with all the drivers for all the hardware. When I run everest it shows me that my wireless network adapter is the atheros 802.11g, when I look at my cd full of drivers I find in the Wlan folder the drivers for the atheros 802.11g. From this I deduce that my hardware is working fine, that it is indeed the atheros 802.11g and that I have the driver for it. But it doesn't switch on when I press the button and Windows can't detect it (or my graphics card for that matter) so it doesn't show up in device manager, so what do I do?

any ideas? I have been working on this for like a week now and it's driving me insane.

All We Are Asking Networker4321's Avatar
    Go to the hp.com site and select notebook or desktop, whatever it is. Click on the top section that allows HP to scan your computer and tell YOU what you have.

Second step. In the second section you can download the drivers the site shows as missing. it is very thorough and I have always used it for problems just like this. It is NOT looking for "updated" drivers, just THE driver for whatever device has none.

There is a troubleshooting section as well and even a live chat ability but don't bother with the offer they make if they can't fix it at Tier I. They will ask for $either $9.95 or $19.95 and I have never had a resolution, always got my money refunded.

Give it a shot. Can't hurt, might help. It really should. If you know the entire PN you CAN input that but I prefer IT to tell ME. It shows all peripherals attached as well like printers, scanners, etc.

Good Luck.
    "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way" - Mark Twain

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information