June 18th, 2002, 08:43 PM #1
Help with basic Networking/Printer sharing
I'm on a Lan at work and two of the machines are already networked and share a printer. I would like to be able to be able to share the printer also but I don't know how. I guess I need 'Printer Sharing for Dummies' or help from all of you.
The network machines both run 98SE and mine has XP Pro. The other 2 are for everybody and mine is my personal machine. I work with 10 other people that share these two machines and I have my own. How do I start? We are on DSL and a Linksys router. Tell me what information I need to provide so that you can help me. Do I need to install that printer on my computer? Thanks!
June 18th, 2002, 08:54 PM #2
Install Netbeui on all the machines. Install file and printer sharing for windows and client for windows. Reboot then it's just having to map the printer and make sure the stuff is shared.. which somebody else will help you with.. SORRY!- Freaky
June 18th, 2002, 10:00 PM #3
I'm just now got to the point that I can see the other 2 computers on the network, but when I try to access them I get this message;
\\Station1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you haveaccess permissions.
The network path was not found.
So I can see the machines, now what?
June 18th, 2002, 10:46 PM #4
Here's what yopu need. Some of this may alreadyt be done.:
1) If you want, you can uninstall NetBUI. It makes things go faster but is consitered a security risk. While you do have a firewall, you might want to keep this in mind. If you still have problems after all of this, make sure TCP/IP is installed and try uninstalling this.
2) You will need to install print sharing. From your last post, you seem to know where this is.
3) Enable sharing for that printer. Just go to Start>Setings>Printer on the computer that has the printer. Then right click on the printer you wish to share. Click 'sharing'. Share the printer and gie it a name.
4) Repeat step 3 for other printers you wish to share.
5) Install the printers on your machine. Go to Start>Settings>Printer on your machine. Double click on 'Add New Printer'. Now say the printer is a Network Printer. When it asks for the location, click 'Browse'. Find the printer you want to share. Click next and follow any additional steps (should just install right then). After it install, repeat for other printers you wish to acsess.
6) Set your default printer
8) Print a test page to make sure everything works right.
June 18th, 2002, 11:02 PM #5
I get to the point of browse for a network printer and a screen comes up that shows all networked computers. It asks for a name of the printer and when I supply the name of the printer as it is shown on the machine it is installed on, I get the error:
You need to specify a valid network printer name.
I did as I stated above with the correct computer selected and it the name I get this error:
Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server.
June 18th, 2002, 11:30 PM #6
Make sure router is working/cables function.
Try to share files and see what happens.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)