+ Reply to Thread

Slow wi-fi but strong signal?

Hey
    I recently for DSL from a company knwon as "NCS TECHNOLOGIES"
    We don't have a phone line so we pay an extra 8.99 for a dry loop.
    We are using a " TP-LINK" modem and wi-fi router
    It is myself and rommate who use the internet, but it's very slow. Only once in a while does it actually perform as high-speed. (It took almost 5 minutes after clicking 'post new thread' to start this
    Now my wi-fi info box says my speed is 300.00mpbs, strength very good.

Some things I considered-
    -router is a floor below us (where phone jack is)
    -TP-LINK isn't the best of brands

Someone had told us it's due to the ISP and not the quality of router

Some suggestions ?
    Thanks!
    stu_waZ_here (and he liked it)

What's your speed if you connect directly to the DSL modem?

By the way, your "wi-fi info box" is wrong. I can pretty much guarantee your speed is NOT 300 mbps.

I'm about to go downstairs and connect it (although I've done it before and no difference)
    What's a good tool to use to get the exact speed?

I meant by "wi-fi info box" when I hover my mouse over the little computer on icon tray

At my old place, bell dsl, it said 50mbps and it was a lot faster than this, I did a bandwith test or something on a site and i remember it saying it's only 54kbps

I just did a broadband test at terago.ca
    Download speed: 4.6 mbps
    Upload speed: 0.3mbps

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What speeds are you paying for from this DSL provider?

If you plug directly into the router how are you speeds?

I tried connecting directly to modem, but It says my account name/password is incorrect (although it's not) and I'm using a netbook so I can't use the cd that came with the modem.
    I pay (with the dryloop) just over 50$ / month (unlimited download, though impossible to download at this speed) The speed is just called i speed ADSL

I came accross TekSavvy and I've read good reviews.

(to connect directly to modem, I'm putting the WAN cord that goes into wi-fi router and into my netbook, manually setting up a connection, then enter my account/password I have with NCS technologies/KWIC, but it's not working)

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Call your ISP up and ask what kind of download/upload speeds you are paying for.

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Just to add a little to this, trying to save/clarify any confusion...

The speed that you're seeing in the "wi-fi info box" is the speed that your computer (a netbook, by all accounts, though this doesn't really matter) is linking up with the wireless signal from the WAP (Wireless Access Point), not the speed of your internet connection.

From your comments about it being slow, it would seem like it could be the WAN (Wide Area Network, anything outside of your internal network) that would/could be the problem - although the 4.6 Mbps speed you mentioned doesn't sound like it is too slow.

If you're getting the occassional burst of high speed WAN traffic, as you suggested in the OP, then it could be:
    one of the devices on your network (LAN or WLAN) is using the bandwidth, meaning that you've got a smaller pipe to get data you want through - when it is fast, the other device isn't pushing/pulling data;
    the router (and/or any cabling from the router to the main socket/point - including an ADSL filter if requred) could be faulty, meaning that the signal isn't able to get through properly;
    the ISPs network/servers are slow and you're hitting the bottleneck through their systems;
    the server and/or WAN link that the servers sit on is experiencing a high load at the time, causing the slowdowns;
    your DNS resolution is taking a long time to complete, meaning that your computer is hanging around while it finds out what IP to go to....
    ...or a number of other things..

For testing my speed, I've normally used Speedtest.net ( Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test ) and it is used by a large section of web users - though there are others.

What type of connection do you have to the WAN link - is it xDSL (doesn't sound like it tallies if you don't have a phone, to me at least), cable, satelite (doesn't sound like it, if you're getting the [occassional] speed you mentioned) or...................???

I've written a DOC file elsewhere that you might find handy, but it kinda depends on the type of WAN link you have - xDSL or Cable are the ones I've written them (was one DOC, had to split it to enable it to be uploaded as an attachment) for, based on UK methods, but some of it is likely to be transferrable to other technologies in some respect.

I would suggest that you test the speed when you're experiencing a slowdown and when it is fast, so that you have actual numbers - and it may well be worthwhile doing a PING and/or a PATHPING to a WAN IP that is known to respond to PING requests (for example, Google's public DNS server - 8.8.8.8) in both situations, and see how that plays out.....just be aware that PATHPING will PING each 'hop' along the way to the destination for 25 seconds, so if it takes 10 hops, then that's 250 seconds - which is 4 minutes and 25 seconds..!
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Try pressing reset on your wireless router. it will get u to factory defaults.

slow down on network.

is anyone still on this thread? I have a slow down on my network. I am connected to my modem via cat5 to a wireless router . I am connected to the wireless router. My signal strength is 100%, data transfer is very slow, and up until 3 days ago it was lightening fast and I mean fast. The cat5 is run mostly outside. can this be the problem? The cable is in good condition but its been raining, could there be condensation that causes this. If I connect to the wireless router with a cable the speed is still slow. If I connect to the modem its very fast so the problem is the cable. What can I do, any suggestions?

We dont camp out on threads...
    Start a new thread with YOUR issues and specs...
    Otherwise people waste alot of time reading through other peoples info and not your own....
    AND are usually too annoyed by the time they get to your post, to answer it
    start a new thread with an appropriate title

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    There are several of us who are "still on this thread", but I would suggest that you start a new thread - to save any confusion between your issue and the original one...as I was starting to do already...
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

You should start a new thread. In answer to your question...yes, moisture can wreck havoc on a network. I would run a temporary cat5 line to the router and retest. If it improves you know that the issue is in fact the cat 5 line.
    "The passion for setting people right is in itself an afflictive disease." Marianne Moore, American poet (1887-1972)

TCP/IP issue

Did you ever figure it OUT??

Quote Originally Posted by stuwazhere View Post
    Hey
    I recently for DSL from a company knwon as "NCS TECHNOLOGIES"
    We don't have a phone line so we pay an extra 8.99 for a dry loop.
    We are using a " TP-LINK" modem and wi-fi router
    It is myself and rommate who use the internet, but it's very slow. Only once in a while does it actually perform as high-speed. (It took almost 5 minutes after clicking 'post new thread' to start this
    Now my wi-fi info box says my speed is 300.00mpbs, strength very good.

Some things I considered-
    -router is a floor below us (where phone jack is)
    -TP-LINK isn't the best of brands

Someone had told us it's due to the ISP and not the quality of router

Some suggestions ?
    Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information