+ Reply to Thread

D-Link Router to Cable Internet access not working

hi,

I have bought a D-Link N wire-less router. Have established the wireless connection between the router and my laptop. Have inputted laptop's wireless adapter's TCP/IP settings with static IP (192.168.0.2) and Router's default gateway as 192.168.0.1 (to get over the problem of "limited or no connectivity" message when wireless connection is done between laptop and router). The wireless connection shows as "excellent".

The internet to my home is from the local cable TV operator and the Internet LAN cable directly comes to my home (from a central distributor box placed somewhere outside). I can access Internet in my laptop through the ethernet LAN cable of the ISP by using the Username and password provided by ISP. The ISP & LAN setting example as below (when connected directly to laptop and when I can access internet).

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-04-0E-6A-38-C0
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

PPP adapter "ISP Name":
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-54-41-00-00-00
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 210.89.47.74
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . .: 210.89.47.74
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 203.115.70.65
    NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . : Disabled

The problem is that I CAN NOT connect between my wireless router and the cable internet connection.

ISP requires a static MAC and the same I have "cloned" into the Router (00-04-0E-6A-38-C0 from the above example). I have kept PPPoE as connection type in Router & Dynamic IP (Default gateway and IP address under ISP Adapter keeps changing when I connect from my laptop directly.). Have inputted the user name / pw of ISP and also the DNS servers which are always same for the ISP and are also configured in the wireless adapter TCP/IP of my laptop.

When I go to the router Admin page and check the connection status between the router and Internet, it shows "PPPoE Connecting...", but never establishes a connection and keeps retrying... Obviously, can't access web pages from my laptop over wireless as well.

Surely I am missing something but not been able to figure out. Please someone help. I have been trying for a week now without any solution and going gradually crazy.

Also, a query: The MAC (physical address) of the Router shows a different string.. Does it have any implication? I doubt though. I tried to change it to the cloned string with the arp -s command from my laptop, but the wireless connection goes for a toss then (the MAC resets to the original value on restart). And I doubt again that it has any implications or even the right way to change the MAC of a router.

Someone please please help me....

regards,

AD

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Since I just woke up and im still half asleep have you tried cloning the address to the PPP adapters mac address?

Who is your provider?

Yep. I have cloned the MAC. The ISP is a local cable operator in my area and I don't know whom he is linked to... As far as the internet to my house is concerned, I just plug-in the ethernet cable (provided by the Cable operator), put in the user id / password and login (in non-wire less mode). The long ethernet cable's other end is linked to some kind of a distribution box of the ISP housed at some outside corner of my building (As I live in a apartment block with many other flats)...

regards,

AD

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information