+ Reply to Thread

Networking Win XP & Win 7

Has anyone networked a computer running Windows XP SP3 to another running Windows 7 Home Edition? I have a desktop with XP on it, connected to my ATT DSL internet via ethernet cable to a wireless gateway, and my Notebook running Windows 7 connected via built-in wireless to the gateway. No problem with the Internet connections, but I tried to network the two together and I couldn’t. I ran the network wizard on XP and got it set up for connecting. It told me to run a floppy disc named ‘Netsetup’ to use on the Notebook. When I ran ‘Netsetup’ on the Notebook, it went through the process just about to the end, then told me ‘setup cannot be performed’, with something about 'Win32'. Could it be becasue the XP is 32 Bit and the Win 7 is 64 Bit? Or is it something to do with the network setup connections? I have networked computers with different O/S before, but I’m ‘brand new’ to Windows 7. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    RJL

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I haven't done W7 home to XP but had no issues with W7 Ultimate to XP. So long as everything is on the same workgroup and you have file sharing setup on the xp box you should be ok. This tutorial from MS might help

Sharing files and printers with different versions of Windows - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Thanks a bunch for the lead. I'll give the procedure a try and let you know the results. Thanks again for your prompt reply!
    RJL

I got it! thanks to you and your link, the problem was that the Acer Notebook came with McAfee Firewall installed, which was overriding MS Firewall. MS Firewall will allow networking and sharing, but McAffe won't. I took out the McAfee, and BINGO, NETWORKED!!! Thanks so much for your help! This is the best site for techo I have ever seen!
    RJL

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Those pesky firewalls! McAfee would allow networking you'd just have to change the setting to allow the connections. I haven't used it in awhile so I couldn't tell you what you'd have to change but it probably wouldn't be to hard. But hey glad to hear you got it working!
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

...next up windows 7 homegroup - oh yeah

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information