+ Reply to Thread

Ethernet not recognized

Hello,
    Ive been researching this off and on and havent been able to find anyone with the same issue, or any real results for similar problems.

So when i plug the ethernet into my desktop, it doesn't even recognize that there is a cable plugged in, and no indicator lights come on. Ive tried switching cables, resetting the modem, reinstalling my Ethernet drivers, and restarting my computer in safe mode. The ethernet works on the same cable to my xbox 360 and my laptop (that im typing on right now). I tried different cables and different ports to no avail. The next step i think is to reinstall the operating system to reset everything.

The catalyst for this whole problem i think is that i uninstalled the trial Norton AV program that came with the system, and my internet mysteriously stopped working.

Im using an actiontech router/modem that Verizon Fios gave to us.

Im using Windows seven on a custom AMD rig I built in january.

Any thoughts on this? would reinstalling the OS be any help?

If it stopped working the same time as the Norton uninstall... It could take a fresh windows install to fix it..

Re-installing the Norton trial might also work..

Did you use one of their uninstall downloads?
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A fresh install should be a last resort, not used as an alternative option. Worst case I'd try a repair install before going to anything as extreme as a format and total re-install.

Try this download and run the Norton Removal tool, if it still doesn't work try this

Cannot connect to the Internet after uninstalling Norton AntiVirus
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Sorry it took me so long to get back, but i tried restarting my comp in safe mode, and it still did not recognize the cable. I also attempted to use the registry editor to remove whatever was blocking it, but the site told me to delete SYMTDI which was not in my registry. The only items in that registry were

NSI
    Tdx
    Afd

I know enough to do general troubleshooting, but i know almost nothing about fiddling with registries, so can you advise me on whether any of these items were what the Norton troubleshooting page was referring to?
    Also, i havent tried using the Norton uninstaller yet as i am unable to find my flash drive to transfer it from the comp i am typing on now to the one with out internet but i will let you know when i get another one and try it.

On my brand new computer 2 months ago, the day after I installed windows updates it just quit the next day. It didn't show up in device manager or anything, even after a format, driver updates, etc... Guess it was a faulty Gigabit ethernet port on the mobo or something. Anyways, I just put a new network card in and use that instead. everything has been working fine for 2 months so far. So maybe they just fail sometimes?

But on another computer, strangely, replacing the power supply fixed the Ethernet port on that computer which had the same issues.

BTW, welcome to Techimo.

Big - I've had problems like this before, and at the risk of sounding like a coward, a NIC card is cheap. OEM's can be like $ 15.00. Sometimes this is the simplest way to go, and it usually works.

But also, check in your BIOS to see that something didn't get switched off that should be on. Or try booting in some BIOS default setting if there is one.
    Obama: "If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    BTW, welcome to Techimo.

Big - I've had problems like this before, and at the risk of sounding like a coward, a NIC card is cheap. OEM's can be like $ 15.00. Sometimes this is the simplest way to go, and it usually works.

But also, check in your BIOS to see that something didn't get switched off that should be on. Or try booting in some BIOS default setting if there is one.
    was not asking was help, was trying to help him with past experience.

Yea, I caught that and edited my post...
    Obama: "If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola!"

As rich mentioned, you really should use the Norton uninstall tool. Personally, i think its highly suspect that you cant uninstall a program cleanly and its done that way by design. anyways, you probably have some lingering "effects" from the tool such as the software firewall that was set to turn off your ethernet. Now that its uninstalled, its stuck in the "off" position persay.

you mentioned that no lights turn on when you plug it in. Now that tells me that the nic is turned off completely. As suggested previously, i would check your bios settings to make sure that it has not been turned off at a hardware level. If that checks out, then you may have a bad integrated nic.

You mentioned that this was a home build of a PC so you may have gotten a bad mobo. Have you done any google searches for any issues with the nic dieing on the make/model you have?

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

So I find it kind of funny that there is an ad for Norton 360 right next to the thread talking about how its highly suspect that Programs like Norton and Mcaffee can be a pain. Anyways, I hit F2 on startup and went to the bios utility, and it says that ethernet is enabled and functioning. I also used a function called DR LAN, and it said that the ethernet cable is connected which doesnt jive with the network utility that says there are not connections available whatsoever. Also, I have an ASUS M4A785-M MOBO, and I googled it and saw that there were a few ethernet problems, but not as widespread as i thought they would be. Im just geting tired of fiddling with this. Does anyone know if there are any PCI Wireless internet cards which also have ethernet? Or is that just not done?
    Thanks again in advance

a wireless card with wired built in? I cant think of any ...

That said, you can usually find wired PCI cards on the cheap anywhere.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

BTW for a little closure on this subject, i just went to best buy and bought a PCI internet adapter and it works like a charm. thanks for everybody's help though

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information