+ Reply to Thread

New router: do I need IPv6?

G'day all

SOHO. I am planning to buy a new ADSL router (modem included). I want to stay away from the low price consumer models (the linksys for 30 bucks and stuff like that). I want decent quality that will last. My previous router was a Zyxel 660, this has served me well and is quality.

However, since I now have a brandnew Thinkpad T520 I also went on the road of wireless computing (I'm the last person on earth to finally do that ) and I've noticed the Zyxel is extremely bad in wireless. Having read that this is a common problem with this Zyxel model I decided to buy a new router.

Basically, I thought I'd buy a Draytek Vigor 2820Vn, but it turns out this isn't IPv6. I don't have a clue if I will ever need this IPv6. I'm an ordinary home/small office user, I have a small lan, I use internet like anybody else (browse, mail, torrent, usenet), so: do I need an IPv6 enabled router? Since, and I am sure you experts will laugh at me (go ahead ), I read these stories about ip-adresses soon being gone, and then I ask myself 'does that mean that with an IPv4 router I will no longer be able to reach *all* the websites and servers since they will be in IPv6?

Thank you in advance for your reply,

Bye,

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No the ip address soon being gone means that eventually Public Ip address will be exhausted to consumers (no more passing out public address for new customers)

For the home environment it all depends on your ISP, im not sure if any are actually passing out to IPV6 customers and not sure if they will anytime soon. Talk to your ISP maybe they can give you some insight on what they are planning.

If you buy an ipv4 address it should last you a while. The IPV4 running mainly affect the ISP not so much the consumer, yet

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    No the ip address soon being gone means that eventually Public Ip address will be exhausted to consumers (no more passing out public address for new customers)

For the home environment it all depends on your ISP, im not sure if any are actually passing out to IPV6 customers and not sure if they will anytime soon. Talk to your ISP maybe they can give you some insight on what they are planning.

If you buy an ipv4 address it should last you a while. The IPV4 running mainly affect the ISP not so much the consumer, yet
    Thanks groundzero

Still, something's bugging me, precisely because of what you say: "Public Ip address will be exhausted to consumers (no more passing out public address for new customers)".

Public adresses are not only my dynamic IP but also those of websites. So, if IPv4 is finished/there are no more new IP-numbers available (I have no clue when, I just keep on reading 'soon'), then:
    A. New home users can't get an Ipv4 adress (as in my example, dynamic IP, ADSL) and will get an IPv6 adress (this shouldn't bother me as long as I don't switch provider).
    B. BUT: new websites also don't get a new IPv4 but will be getting an IPv6. These websites I by then can't reach if I have an IPv4 router.

True?

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    There is no Plan B: why the IPv4-to-IPv6 transition will be ugly

A few months old but this is a really good article

Test your IPv6 connectivity...

Test your IPv6.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information