Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Help Remove Babylon Search - Malware?

For some unknown reason, my IE search engine has suddenly been changed and taken over by something called Babylon. I am running Windows 7.

After Google-ing Babylon + search or toolbar, I've discovered that there are many other people with the same problem - no one knows where it came from or how to remove it.

Here's the description I read about this nasty, aggravating thing:

Search.babylon.com is a is a dangerous Google redirect virus that can hijack web browser and redirect search results to unwanted sites on infected computers. Search.babylon.com may catch and target on you when you are on facebook or youtube or when you click on links in your emails. Search.babylon.com hides over cyber network and tries to attack computer systems all the time. Search.babylon.com is a malicious domain you should avoid this browser hijacker and remove it once it is found.

I tried these things:

1. Of course the first thing I did was to ensure that Babylon is NOT listed as my default search engine. It wasn't.

2. Clicked on the carrot/arrow in the IE address box, and removed Babylon from the list there. Nothing.

3. Add/Remove Programs - Could not remove anything because Babylon is NOT listed there.

4. Internet Options - I found that Babylon was listed as one of my home page tabs that open automatically when IE opens. Removed it.

5. I was able to easily get rid of it in Google Chrome by removing it from the options section, but it persists in IE.

NO MATTER WHAT I DO I CANNOT GET RID OF THIS HATEFUL THING!

I found a site called uninstall-tool.com. It listed information on how to remove this thing, but since it involved the registry, I was absolutely not going to do that or anything until I checked with a trusted source - you guys!! The info from the Babylon page on that site is cut/pasted below.

Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions or directions. I HAVE NO PROBLEM working with the registry or doing anything else if someone from TechIMO is directing/helping me.

I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have ya'll to help me with my computer. Since I'm not a big techie-brain, I don't know how to repay all of the help.

Thank you so very much,
    Teri

THE FOLLOWING WAS COPIED FROM THIS WEBSITE:
    How to Remove Search.babylon.com Redirect Virus? Search.babylon.com Browser Hijacker Removal Guide | Uninstall/Remove Any Programs - Professional Uninstall Guide & Best Online Tech Support

How to Remove Search.babylon.com Redirect Virus? Search.babylon.com Browser Hijacker Removal Guide
    Dec 06, 2011 by admin

Search.babylon.com is a dangerous Google redirect virus that can hijack web browser and redirect search results to unwanted sites on infected computers. Search.babylon.com may catch and target on you when you are on facebook or youtube or when you click on links in your emails. Search.babylon.com hides over cyber network and tries to attack computer systems all the time. Search.babylon.com is a malicious domain you should avoid this browser hijacker and remove it once it is found.

Search.babylon.com may install Babylon search toolbar on your browser so that it can more easily do its nasty activities. Search.babylon.com modifies browser setting and your homepage. It won’t allow you easily reset your homepage back. When you search something from your browser’ url bar, you are redirected to its site and filled with the information Search.babylon.com tries to promote or distribute. You should take steps to get rid of Search.babylon.com immediately before it creates more trouble to your computer.

How to Remove Search.babylon.com Completely and Effectively?

Some computer users may ask why you don’t introduce the automatic Search.babylon.com removal as antivirus programs may be available for many computer users. Well, as far as today we have received lots of feedback and complain from victim users who talk about their antivirus/antispyware software being out of work in front of the redirect virus Search.babylon.com.

Search.babylon.com is a well-designed malicious browser hijacker, so the best way to get rid of it is to perform a manual Search.babylon.com removal solution.

Manual Search.babylon.com Removal Steps:
    1) Open Windows Task Manager to stop Search.babylon.com process.

2) Go to Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Search.babylon.com program.

3) Open Windows Registry using regedit.exe command. Find and Remove all Search.babylon.com Registry Files.

4) Search for Search.babylon.com Files on your computer and delete them.

Manual removal of Search.babylon.com hijacker is an effective solution, but also a difficult one especially for users who are not very familiar with Windows Registry component. Therefore, to make things much easier, and to help you remove Search.babylon.com redirect virus safely and quickly, you are suggested to contact Tee Support expert for complete Search.babylon.com removal once and for all.

Simply Click Here to Live Chat with Tee Support Expert and Get Help Immediately!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, editing the registry is not all that hard. Just go into the registry and enter Search.babylon.com then continue to press the F3 key to continue searching for the entry deleting each instance. I wonder if hijackthis will help. Post your log here.

Oh, to get into the registry go to start | Run | and enter regedit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Remove Babylon Search - Malware?-regedit.jpg  
    Last edited by Taxmancometh; January 16th, 2012 at 11:50 PM.

Update: ISSUE RESOLVED!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    How did you resolve the issue?

Thumbs up RE: Babylon search removal

Thanks!!! Somehow I got Babylon on my IE tabs too, and after following your instructions to remove from the registry by continuing to hit F3 and finding all instances of search.babylon.com, my PC is back to normal!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Your welcome!

Exclamation Babylon follow-up question

Where, in regedit, do I type in Search.babylon.com? When I pullup regedit, there's not space to type in anything.
    Thanks,
    Eric

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Go to edit then find and then continue to press F3 until you have deleted all the entries.

In regedit, Search.Babylon.com does not show up on the list, so deleting it isn't an option.
    I deleted it from Task Manager (I'm running W7), but it came back when I restarted IE.
    It's no listed in Programs on my control panel.
    Someone suggested using anti-Malaware? Is that a good idea? What's a good program? I have "Hijack this," but haven't tried it yet.
    Thanks

It seems to be gone from Firefox. I selected "disable all add-ons" then restarted it.

CLicking "Ending task" for Search.Babylon.com on the task bar closes the entire IE browser, so that doesn't work.

Also, running a Search on search.babylon.com, or babylong, shows nothing on my hard drive.
    Is there a way to disable all add-ons in IE? My geek son has been advising me to leave IE for good.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, leave IE for good!

Ok. Just Firefox and Chrome?
    If I never again open IE, can the Babylon Search Engine still be a problem for my computer? I can't find it anywhere on my hard drive.
    Thanks, Tax-ey.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Post your Hijackthis log here. I would use Firefox sense it doesn't use ActiveX, It's patched often and has a abundant of security addons. I would install the addon Noscript and in the options set to allow top level domains. The base 2nd level domains level. The addon can be cumbersome but this would most likely would have prevented search babylon from installing in the first place.

babylon

I went into the registry and ran a search but nothing came up when the search was finished. I can't get rid of this bloody thing! It is listed in my programs but won't let me "remove" it. Please help me!!!!

Smile THE EASIEST WAY TO REMOVE BABLYON FOR GOOD

HI, I HAVE FOUND OUT BY PLAYING ABOUT ON MY COMPUTER HOW TO REMOVE BABYLON SEARCH FOR GOOD:

Go to tools, internet options, general, go down to search, click on settings - then disable it or what I done deleted and removed it for good.

Christine

I have followed every suggested method of removal so far (regedit, disabling add ons etc.) No matter what I do I can't seem to get rid of it. Are there any other suggestions before I throw my lap top out the window in frustration?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Did you try adaware as suggested? If that don't work format, then use Firefox with the add-on Noscript. That bastard won't install again!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information