+ Reply to Thread

Wireless adapters

I have a usb wireless adapter on my desktop and im assuming my laptop has a pci wireless adapter..my desktop is like .05MB/ps on upload and my laptop is like.41MB/ps upload..im running a MIFI card for my internet access...also is it possible that my desktop adapter is crapping out..by the way its a cisco adapter AM10 i believe. Also my download is slower on the desktop.

What is the level and quality showing for your wireless signals? If it is fairly high, I would check to see if a nearby network is clashing on the wireless channel you are using.
    USB wireless adapters tend to be lacking in the antenna department, though. Maybe your signal is really low and the network is dropping to 802.11b mode with the slower data rates?

I have full bars showing on signal strength in the task bar but when it acts up i get the yellow exclamation point on the signal bars..im a half mile from my closets neighbor so i dont think i have any nearby network. I just did some reading up on the Cisco Valet adapter and it appears to have a problem losing connections or malfunctioning and it does get pretty warm. The distance from the MIFI or wifi hotspot is about 6 feet away..im using the new 4510L 4Glte Hotspot but only have 3G out here right now.

I'd just get a PCI adapter, for the desktop.
    Probably 95% of USB network adapters are fine, but you never hear of this kind of problem with a PCI adapter, unless something is wrong with it.

You can find many posts here, about problems with USB network adapters.
    I don't think all the problems are antenna related, as in your case. (right next to the base)
    Everything else USB works fine, but I avoid USB network adapters if I can.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    When you said your upload speeds, you are talking about to the internet correct? Remember you are pretty much reliant on the cell service in your area. Upgrading the wireless card isnt gonna boast your internet connection speeds.

I know that GZ ...but the problem is i drop internet connection,or it gets very slow with good mifi signal and rss signal, but the MIFI shows full bars on it and since its new im trying to figure out if i have a bad adapter or if my MIFI is crapping out, cause if its the mifi then i can get it replaced under warranty.

The download speed is about average for 3G service but the upload is way off as you can see..thats why im questioning if an adapter can cause this.

heres from my laptop

Last edited by truckpuller; January 18th, 2012 at 11:25 AM.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    On the laptop that is disconnecting and slowness issue, have you tried doing some testing to see if it improves ie. have it be the only one connected and see if the speeds/disconnecting still occur.

Ill be honest, to this day I dont like the USB wireless network cards. I bought one for my desktop a few months ago and I gave up on it because it was giving me connection issues.

Firefox is the browser i use on both machines..the desktop has the USB adapter which is running slower than the laptop. Both desktop and laptop where connected to internet. I would run speedtest on 1 and then as soon as it was done i ran speedtest on the other. Im thinking the USB adapter on my desktop is breaking down...gona find me a PCI adapter and try it.

I have opera also but dont care for it for some reason, i guess just always been a die hard FF fan.

Thanks Guys

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information