+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Ethernet Cable Help

Hey guys I am back for some questions on Ethernet cable.I am getting a new gaming PC Mega Special II .

My question is what is a good or best Ethernet cable for gaming so that I can receive good amount of internet speed. My dad has a computer with Modem/Dlink 825 about 50 feet away from my room/my PC.
    I know there is cables like cat 5,cat 6 and some others, but what is the best quality? and what web site can I buy this at?
    If someone can please help, I thank you very much.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Cat 5 should suffice. cat 5e cable | eBay

thanks^^ and why is cat 5 better than cat 6? what is the difference?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I didn't say cat 5 was better. I simply said it will suffice. It's all you really need. Cat 6 has more stringent specifications for crosstalk and system noise.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxmancometh View Post
    I didn't say cat 5 was better. I simply said it will suffice. It's all you really need. Cat 6 has more stringent specifications for crosstalk and system noise.
    Besides that, if I remember right its also capable of higher speeds, in MHz than Cat 5/5e.

Otherwise, for most users (practically the entire consumer market), Cat5e is really all you need.

I run mostly Cat5e cable myself, actually have 3 or 4 10-15 foot segments connected with inline connectors, that run from my Router by my Bedroom window, around my rooms walls, up over the door to bathroom, over closet door, back down along wall, and then under and out my bedroom door, around in to living room/dining room, to my Mom's Laptop.

I've also got a couple shorter Cat6 cables I used to use for extra PC's I had in my room at the time (picked them up, Cat6, for about same price as Cat5e at one time).

and then I have a 25+ Foot roll of Cat5e, can't remember if I use that currently or not, its on the floor below the desk and behind the TV cart used to hold my PC off the ground.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

^Cool thanks guys, I trust you guys and will be getting cat 5 cables.
    One more question ShyguyXPC, when you and your mom are on the internet at the same time does that slow down your internet?

yes, mainly when gaming, or watching HD videos and the like, but its due to shared connection to outside world.

I have my new router set up to give more of a priority to my PC over everything else on the network, but even then sometimes its not enough.

But depends on if she's viewing Videos, or listening to music, or some other bandwidth intensive thing on it. Its a low end Netbook, and mainly she does email, facebook and office stuff on it.

but its also got some crap "bloatware" from Asus on it, I still have to disable.

But now that our cable internet has been bumped up to 30Mbps max, its not as apparent as it once was, at 10Mb.

it also depends on the games, I've noticed some games tend to not handle shared bandwidth as much as others, more or less the games themselves are bandwidth hogs.

I know when My brother would come home on leave, he'd bring his Xbox 360 home, and have that connected on the old router, and THAT SUCKED!!!

Literally, the freakin Xbox hogged most of the damn bandwidth to the connection, and I couldn't play a couple of my games on the PC, even though all the networking gear is in my room next to my PC.

but Shared Network bandwidth will be more of an issue with lower broadband connections, the users habits and uses, and all that.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

I see how this works now. I just told my dad what you explained to me and he said thanks for the help. He said we have a 50Mbps internet connection so I am guessing it wont slow down as much, well at least i hope so.

with cable broadband, you also have to factor in, the entire network (outside the house for your neighborhood or city or where ever you are) is also shared, so the max speeds may vary depending on usage in the area.

we have 30Mb, but sometimes I see that down to 10-15Mb.

it also depends on the servers your connecting to.

I could be doing an internet speed test, and get near 20-30Mb for one destination server, and less than 10mb or so for another server, so there's a lot of unforeseen factors with connection, that can affect your LAN connection in the house, if sharing with other users.

DSL broadband is more stable and maintains its rated speed better than cable, but from what I've seen most DSL connections have been eclipsed with the ever growing Cable speeds.

only Verizon's Fios System I have seen really best Cable Broadband in speed an maintaining that speed. Though some of Cable's max speeds are easily matching Fios.

I learn something new every time i speak to you.
    I ordered the cat5 cable today and my new gaming PC, should get them next week.
    Now when I connect the cat5 cable to my computer and router will I be automatically connected to the internet or no? Iam not sure how to set this up with windows 7 ill will be using...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So long as DHCP is enabled in the router your router will automatically assign an IP address to your new computer.

Windows 7 will ask you about setting up a network (Home, Office, Public, etc), just select the first option, Home, and then it will ask you what folders and types of files you want to share on the network, it'll then give you a network key of some sort for other devices to connect to your network, once thats done, you done, connected and ready to go.

I just Installed Win7 on my new system an hour or two ago, and just went through all this.

You'll probably need to go through Windows 7 updates, there's 118 of them so far that I had to install, 20 something were cancelled during the process, but was because they were dependent on other updates first.

currently finishing the updates... all done through a USB 2.0 Wireless G adapter as well.

Oki will do that.WOW 118 updates that is lots lol.What Windows did you have before shyguy? How you like windows 7 so far?Iam already excited to see windows 7 for the first time.
    Taxmancometh thanks ^^

I ran the same install of Win7 currently on the i7 920 rig, reinstalling it on the i7 940 rig.

I've been running Win7 64-bit since the 2nd or so Public Beta, which was Ultimate 64-bit, then when the timer on that ran out, have been running Home Premium 64-bit since... been about 2 or 3 years now.

to be honest before the beta I was a little hesitant, after Vista's fumble.

but glad I did. and to be honest, other than drivers, or lack of for the Beta, the Beta builds of Win 7 were easily Retail worthy, so when it did come out for retail, it was for the most part rock solid and THOROUGHLY worthy of replacing Windows XP which I ran before.

Ran Windows XP 32-bit Home, and Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005.

There was a bit of a learning curve finding where things were at, but you eventually get used to it.

And for Gaming, its pretty rock solid, plenty of driver and what not support, so no problems there. Well... Few problems more accurately.

Cat 6 is good for 1000 Mbps up to 325', it also used all 8 wires.
    Cat 5e is good for 100Mbps up to 325" and only uses 4 wires
    Edit
    If you are using cat5e for a Giga LAN, then you would also use all 8 wires.
    I also think all devices have to be Giga, for a Giga LAN to work.

In good conditions and short runs, 5e can go faster than 100Mbps

To go faster than 100mbps, you need a giga router,and giga lan cards, but it only effects the speed in the house, as the modem and the outside Internet connection is slower than 100Mbps.

The other thing is solid wire vs stranded.
    Solid is generally for fixed permanent wiring.
    Stranded is generally used for parch cords, as it can bent repeatedly, without breaking, is more flexible, but has a slightly shorter transmission distance.

Edit
    There is one other rating, and that is the coating/fire rating.
    I can't remember all rhe types, but plenum means it has a fire rating to be run in plenum.

Another, Riser is designed for in walls, and good for old work.

There are others, but this is generally what you will see at Home Depot, and Lowes.

By the way they have everything you need for cables, connectors, tools, boxes, and outlets.Some general specs.
    Last edited by stroyal; March 14th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Ultimate Member
    the home:

the bigger ?? is why any one would run cables in this day and age.
    wireless is so much more convenient ,cost effective and just as fast or better.

just saying

example : i play SC2
    play BF3
    watch netflix [LG device] to tv

all stream from my wireless router

Except that ALL home wireless routers are compromised if running WPS, and some can't turn it off.

Just saying.
    I only use it for laptops, and I plug them in, when transferring large amounts, of data.
    My wireless is 54Mbps, and is really slow, if I am copping a hard drive, or a large file to another computer.

I enjoy the challenge of wiring the house, and have at least 1 outlet in every room, including the garage.
    My last house was the same way.

But I agree, wireless is the way to go for most users.

If you are going Giga, you have no choice, but wired. Yet
    Last edited by stroyal; March 14th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

that, and some people just have crappy wireless in their house, when it comes to online gaming, latency and signal strength.

Don't know how many times some one has been online in our servers and lagging so bad, causing the server and other players to lag, and their on a wireless connection in there home, as soon as they leave the server everything bounces back to normal, if they come in again, its lag city.

This is common across the board for most games with wireless users that have a poorly or improperly setup wireless connection, in which case running wires is their easiest solution.

Quote Originally Posted by stroyal View Post
    Cat 6 is good for 1000 Mbps up to 325', it also used all 8 wires.
    Cat 5e is good for 100Mbps up to 325" and only uses 4 wires
    Edit
    If you are using cat5e for a Giga LAN, then you would also use all 8 wires.
    I also think all devices have to be Giga, for a Giga LAN to work.

In good conditions and short runs, 5e can go faster than 100Mbps

To go faster than 100mbps, you need a giga router,and giga lan cards, but it only effects the speed in the house, as the modem and the outside Internet connection is slower than 100Mbps.

The other thing is solid wire vs stranded.
    Solid is generally for fixed permanent wiring.
    Stranded is generally used for parch cords, as it can bent repeatedly, without breaking, is more flexible, but has a slightly shorter transmission distance.

Edit
    There is one other rating, and that is the coating/fire rating.
    I can't remember all rhe types, but plenum means it has a fire rating to be run in plenum.

Another, Riser is designed for in walls, and good for old work.

There are others, but this is generally what you will see at Home Depot, and Lowes.

By the way they have everything you need for cables, connectors, tools, boxes, and outlets.Some general specs.
    Your thinking Riser and Plenum rated wires. That has to do with the outer casing and not the inner copper. It is for where and how the cable is to be run such as between floors or on the same floor in commercial. Unless your doing commercial work, work inside the walls of your home or want to make sure that the pro you hired is using the correct materials, just get what they sell at home depot.

For mixed networks it depends on the switch. If you have one that can run on 10/100/1000 and can independantly detect gigabit, note these are higher end, they can run a the mixed network of 10/100 and gigabit connections without a hassel. Switches that can not run in a mixed network default to the slowest connection which is often the 10/100 and slows gigabit down.

Also id love to see some proof of a 5e network going faster than 100Mbs. With network overhead from your nic's and the switch, you should at best get close but never actually achieve 100Mbs.

Solid cabling would be something that a company runs to a home or business but would never be used inside as far as i know.

Quote Originally Posted by electric View Post
    the home:

the bigger ?? is why any one would run cables in this day and age.
    wireless is so much more convenient ,cost effective and just as fast or better.

just saying

example : i play SC2
    play BF3
    watch netflix [LG device] to tv

all stream from my wireless router
    fallasy!

Wireless can cheaper to install but not faster or better on either point.

Current standards still rely on G for most networks as it is the most prevalent and cheaper technology to use. Your "average" network thus has a theoretical maximum of 54Mbs transmition speed under optimal conditions. The range is also limited to roughly 100feet. While you say, the lot size of my home (based on the average lot size in my area) is only 50x100 feet so i should be able to use my wireless anywhere on my property. This fails to consider things such as EMP interference and directional antenea orientation which can cut the range of wireless to the next room only. Try hosting a lan part at your house with a dozen laptops and a single WAP as your only source of internet for the bunch and see how good your connection is then.

That said. The installation of a basic wired network in the home during construction is nominal compared to the cost of everything else. If your remodeling, the walls will be opened already so its a minor addition to cost as you add additional cabling or locations that have to be opened and touched up. If your not doing either new construction or remodel then the cost could be a burden but nothing that a handy-person couldnt fix on the cheap.

As companies such as Apple push the envelope of wireless N standardization, speeds do bump up but still suffer from congestion, lack of range, and diminishing returns when further away from the source. Apple makes it relatively easy as they offer the airport express as a repeater for 100 bucks a pop. To cover a house and its limited exterior you could be looking to spend 400-500 bucks in equipment alone using their products. You could spend easily as much and way more for specialized outdoor equipment and it may not be so easy to configure and maintain the network once installed.

All this in consideration, if you have some tools, time and love home depot you can do an install for considerably less and end up learning many home repair skills to use and pass on later in life.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information