+ Reply to Thread

2nd router to throttle connection

Here's the situation.

I have an actiontech MI424WR-GEN2 modem/router connected to FIOS. I want to connect a second router and use it to throttle the bandwidth to a gaming unit with QoS. The second router is a Belkin F5D7230-4 that has been flashed with the dd-wrt firmware.

The actiontech is connected to the internet with coax and mainly serves the house with wireless. I have been able to get the belkin #2 connected LAN port to LAN port but the QoS did not limit the bandwidth to the gaming unit which is connected to a LAN port on the belkin #2. My ignorant intuition tells me I need to connect the WAN port on the belkin #2 to a LAN port on the actiontech #1... but that this won't work without a crossover cable.

I have tried using the QoS rules in the actiontech to throttle the gaming unit down but I could only neuter the download speed. In order to effectively neuter the up I had to throttle the whole network down.

My ultimate goal is to throttle the gaming unit down from 25/5 to about 1.5/1. I'm open to other suggestions.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure about the rest, but I do use DD-WRT and you shouldn't need a cross over cable to bridge the two routers.

Wait till GroundZero shows up. He knows more about networking than I do.

I can't answer the whole question, but a cross over cable is only needed when up linking from a switches standard port to another switches standard port.
    This was used before switches had dedicated, or switchable, up link ports, which use standard cables.

Anything new is self negotiating., and the ports can be an up link port, or a standard port.

The only other common use of a crossover cable is from one computers LAN card to another.

So like Taxmancometh said you don't need a crossover cable, on anything new. (but it won't hinder anything new either)

I have never tried this, and I don't know If you have to make changes to the setting, but I would think, you don't use the LAN edit, sorry meant WAN connection on the second router, and you up link it between ports, with a standard cable, unless it is ancient.
    A crossover should work either way, whether it is old, or new and self negotiating.
    Last edited by stroyal; April 16th, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Joining to review tomorrow...
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    QOS is always a hit and a miss with SOHO devices. In the real world QOS only kicks on when the pipe starts to get full (this all depends on the software and hardware of course but in general that is how it works generally) QOS is used to allow important traffic to flow when the pipe becomes full which holding or dropping the other traffic.

Dont use the WAN port on the Belkin, you will be double NATTING (Natting behind the actiontek and then natting again behind the Belkin. The internet will work but it breaks a lot of things. )

I have an actiontek router, when I get home ill check out the router configuration

Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    QOS is always a hit and a miss with SOHO devices. In the real world QOS only kicks on when the pipe starts to get full (this all depends on the software and hardware of course but in general that is how it works generally) QOS is used to allow important traffic to flow when the pipe becomes full which holding or dropping the other traffic.

Dont use the WAN port on the Belkin, you will be double NATTING (Natting behind the actiontek and then natting again behind the Belkin. The internet will work but it breaks a lot of things. )

I have an actiontek router, when I get home ill check out the router configuration
    Any advice on how I can hamstring a LAN connection would be appreciated.

Does anyone else have an idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
    Does anyone else have an idea?
    I don't know a cheap way, but when I worked, our office system, had a high end switch, yes switch, that could do that. (I Think)
    I've been retired for 9 years, so I don't remember much.
    I believe it is a "supervised switch".

I was kinda a waste, as we only used it as a regular switch, and never used any of the options.

I only played with it a few times, and I know it could keep individuals, from the Internet.
    I'm pretty sure you could control bandwidth, also.
    I wasn't the IT guy, just a Millwright, and the only one in the office, that new anything about computers.

But like I said, it's been 9 years.
    Last edited by stroyal; April 21st, 2012 at 12:31 AM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information