+ Reply to Thread

Computer Won't Connect to Wireless

Hello, I've never used this forum before but I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently purchased a Netgear N150 wireless router which I hooked up to the Ubee D3.0 modem I have installed from Comcast. The router is hooked up to the main computer, which runs fine, and my laptop can also connect to the network just fine. However, I have another desktop upstairs that won't connect. It is a Dell running Windows XP and I installed a Dynex Enhanced G Desktop Card. I installed the drives for it and it seems to run fine. The program picks up on the wireless signal of the router, saying it has an excellent signal, but it won't actually connect to the router. I have contacted Dynex and they say that since the card is picking up the signal, it is not a problem with the card. I also tried contacting Netgear but they have yet to respond. The computer is currently set up for a dial-up connection (it's my grandma's computer, and I'm trying to get it set up on the wireless I installed) so I don't know if that is causing interference, or if the wireless card isn't compatible with the router. I have no idea what's going on and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TechIMO!

Dynex is Worst Buys brand name. Need I say more?

Oh alright.

Is this a USB device?
    Have you tried temporarily moving the computer next to the router, to see if it is just distance?

I'll say it again, USB works fine with everything, but wireless.

I don't know why, but I know many people never have a problem, but many do.(we get posts all the time about USB wireless, not working.)

PCI cards are cheap.
    Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Networking, Wireless Networking, Wireless Adapters, PCI

With a PCI wireless card, problems, are almost non existent.

Taking a computer apart, is really simple for me, so there is no reason what so ever,for me to have a USB network device ever.
    Last edited by stroyal; May 23rd, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Go to the control panel and choose Network adapters, now right click the dial-up connection and choose disable. Did you set any type of encryption up for the WIFI network?
    Last edited by Taxmancometh; May 23rd, 2012 at 08:18 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stroyal View Post
    Welcome to TechIMO!

Dynex is Worst Buys brand name. Need I say more?

Oh alright.

Is this a USB device?
    Have you tried temporarily moving the computer next to the router, to see if it is just distance?

I'll say it again, USB works fine with everything, but wireless.

I don't know why, but I know many people never have a problem, but many do.(we get posts all the time about USB wireless, not working.)

PCI cards are cheap.
    Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Networking, Wireless Networking, Wireless Adapters, PCI

With a PCI wireless card, problems, are almost non existent.

Taking a computer apart, is really simple for me, so there is no reason what so ever,for me to have a USB network device ever.
    I looked the card up and its a PCI card. Dynex DX-EBDTC 802.11g Enhanced Wireless-G Desktop Card Overview & Specs - Adapters/NICs - CNET Reviews

I have 2 Dynex devices. 50/50 failure rate.

A wired laptop network card the was so ridiculously cheap, I bent my Worst Buy rules.(never buy from Worst Buy)

I also have a wireless router, that was given to me, that the wireless portion is dead.

I'm told it only lasted a few weeks.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Thanks Taxman

Well we can't blame USB then.

This is why cheap stuff sucks, as it could be either the card, or the installation/drivers

What operating system do you have?

I haven't had to install drivers for a network card, wired or wireless, since XP came out.

On board needs drivers sometimes, like the Dell 3000 I programed the other night.

I slapped an old Netgear wireless in the same computer, and it just works.

Look in device manager.
    If the card is in alarm, simply, un-install it in device manager, and restart.

Go to windows update, and see is they have a driver under devices.

Xp has hundreds, of Network card drivers, pre-installed.

Edit
    How did you install the drivers?

Many driver programs, are a program that installs, within windows.

The other type, installs on start up when Windows discovers the device.

Which type do you have?

If it is the program type, you ignore windows pleas to install them on start up, and cancel through to the desktop.
    Last edited by stroyal; May 23rd, 2012 at 04:29 PM.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

So I ended up finally getting in contact with my parent's tech guy and he told me to change the security settings of the router from WPA-2 to WEP because older cards sometimes aren't compatible. Turns out that fixed it! Thank for your help guys!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I kinda figured that that's why I asked if you were using any kind of encryption. Use this page to create a good password. https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm

Can't say I thought of that, even though I had that problem with 1 of my Son in Law's computer a few months back.

Glad you fixed it.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information