+ Reply to Thread

win2k vs xp file sharing

I was wondering if anyone has the answer to this

User A - win2k
    USer B - winxp

when user B is accessing user A's win2k system, user A has to add user B's username to User B's win2k machine to be able to access the win2k machine. This is how it's supposed to be.

In the opposite scenario, if the user A wants to access user B's winxp box, user B doesn't have to add user A's username to his Winxp box, it'll still grant him access even if User A's username isn't added into User B's winxp machine. Why is that?

the *Voice* in your Head PresterJohn's Avatar
    >if the user A wants to access user B's winxp box, user B doesn't have to add user A's username to his Winxp box

this is probably because simple file sharing is enabled on the xp box (it is turned on by default in xp-home & in xp-pro if in a workgroup).

go into Folder Options & deselect this setting.

i have simple file sharing off, and the shared folder on the xp box has permissions for everyone, however the user in the win2k box does not have his username added in the xp box and the win2k user can access the shared folder on the winxp box just fine.

Windows XP uses SFS(Simple File Sharing) by default... Windows 2000 doesn't.

Here's some useful info on SFS in Windows XP.

Here's a link about Win XP Pro's file sharing, and how to make it so you can disable SFS and use ACLs...

HTH,

David

even in the win2k machine, it has a shared folder and has permissions for everyone, but i can't access it unless i add my username/password that i use on my winxp box to that win2k machine.

With xp, i've even heard, that usernames from other computer don't have to be added to the xp machine for them to gain access.

the *Voice* in your Head PresterJohn's Avatar
    edited:wrote a confusing post..that's what happens when i should be sleeping instead of typing.
    Last edited by PresterJohn; April 25th, 2003 at 02:08 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information