+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Why do I always have to refresh to view a page?

Hay all
    Is this a common problem, when I go to a web page I get "The Page Cannot Be Displayed" 70% of the time . I always have to refresh to view the web page sometimes I have to hit refresh a bunch of times. Now I can not update my viruis protection. This is a common problem with all the computers on this network is there going on with the server which is win2000?
    ((*
    *))
    ((*
    *))

Not Really a Member
    Are you behind a proxy server or ISA server?

Sounds like its caching pages, that have dynamic data.
    Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

I think proxy. What should I do?
    ((*
    *))
    ((*
    *))

Not Really a Member
    Check with the proxy server, and see that it doesn't cache dynamic content. If anything at least change the refresh rate to much lower.
    Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

Would that be (on) my server? OK, hang on whats the difference between Proxy and ISA? I have Win2000 I know its junk.
    ((*
    *))
    ((*
    *))

Another thing to check out:
    I've seen where MTU settings that are too high for a given line quality can cause the same type of problem. For example, sometimes our aDSL line (PPPoE) runs much better at an MTU of 1420 rather than the "optimal maximum" of 1492.
    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; It's just that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan

Where are the MTU settings?
    ((*
    *))
    ((*
    *))

Originally posted by atomicstomp
    Would that be (on) my server? OK, hang on whats the difference between Proxy and ISA? I have Win2000 I know its junk.
    win2k junk? uhhhhhmmmm...no

Where are the MTU settings?
    Easy to use tool to set MTU and other settings:
    http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

FAQ for MTU:
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7801
    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; It's just that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan

I agree with you Ph@r@oh. If you think w2k server is junk, I think you have a lot to learn.

Originally posted by meese
    I agree with you Ph@r@oh. If you think w2k server is junk, I think you have a lot to learn.
    Now isn't that we're all here to do?

atomicstomp
    Windows Y2K is the most stable O/S to date IMO and many others share my opinion. (Until you go for a service pack that is...lol)

Cheers!

I do have a lot to learn thats why I have so many questions. But do hospitals and public works use w2k severs? I can't see rebooting mid open hart.
    ((*
    *))
    ((*
    *))

They may use WinY2K or Linux or Unix servers for their data processes but the operating room hardware would be dedicated programming. I don't think they would want a heart monitor to access the Net....lol

A person could get a virus.....

Cheers!

Ever have one of those days where you couldn't spell your own name?
    Last edited by Beemer; September 2nd, 2003 at 11:18 AM.

Originally posted by Beemer
    They may use WinY2K or Linux or Unix servers for their data processes but the operating room hardware would be didicated programming. I don't think they would want a hart monitor to access the Net....lol

A person could get a virus.....

Cheers!

((*
    *))
    ((*
    *))

Originally posted by jmichna
    I've seen where MTU settings that are too high for a given line quality can cause the same type of problem. For example, sometimes our aDSL line (PPPoE) runs much better at an MTU of 1420 rather than the "optimal maximum" of 1492.
    This may have worked thanks
    ((*
    *))
    ((*
    *))

Originally posted by jmichna
    This may have worked thanks
    Good to hear! You can experiment with different levels of MTU by setting it back to 1492 and reboot for changes to take effect), then running PING in a command box with the following switches:
    ping -f -l xxxx where the xxxx is different MTU settings, and the "-f" means don't fragment. Ping several of you favorite websites, such as Techimo like this:
    "ping -f -l 1492 www.techimo.com" and see if there is any fragmentation. If so, then rerun at 1462 (e.g., "ping -f -l 1462 www.techimo.com"), and so on, until the fragmentation stops and you get a successful ping result. Experiment with values until you find the largest MTU that works on your connection (do several different websites... it will take a while), then set your MTU to the largest value that did not fragment.
    Last edited by jmichna; September 3rd, 2003 at 05:55 PM.

See the link for a screen capture of what I mean re PING.

Note MTU of 1464 lost a packet but 1460 did not. Usually you will see it respond that there was fragmentation at too high an MTU.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why do I always have to refresh to view a page?-mtu-ping.gif  
    Last edited by jmichna; September 3rd, 2003 at 05:57 PM.

Is this because my server is w2k and my node is XP?
    ((*
    *))
    ((*
    *))

Is this because my server is w2k and my node is XP?
    Not real sure what the default MTU settings are for W2K and XP but they may not be optimum for your connection. It doesn't have anything to do with one being a server and another a node. What is important is the MTU setting of your connection to the internet. If you are from one box through the other, then probably adjust MTU to the same, working value on both boxes. I use a Linksys BEFSR41 router/switch, that defaults to 1492 over a PPPoE connection. I leave the router at 1492, and adjust MTU on each of my home network pcs, usually 1420 to 1460 range works best.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information