Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: How do I connect case fan directly to outlet?

Your Message

If you are already a member Click here to log in

You may choose an icon for your message from this list

Additional Options

  • Will turn into [URL][/URL].


Topic Review (Newest First)

  • October 7th, 2011, 08:52 PM
    why not use a 12volt dc adapter. connect the adapter to the fan then plug it into the wall

    just use a 12v dc .25amp adapter
  • July 2nd, 2003, 05:06 PM
    A friend of mine needed a small fan for a box he was making, so I just gave him an 80mm case fan I had laying around, and he ended up buying an AC/DC adapter plug from radio shack and just splicing the wires to the positive and negative of the fan.
    I have a hard time believing that, the impedance in the motor at that voltage would probably cause it to fry before it even started spinning. Plus AC and DC fans work on different principles, the first wiring the cores to alternate electromagnets, so when the voltage flips, it inverts it and makes it carry on spinning, the other has the magnets stationary and works through brushes on the drum swapping the polarity of the coils as it spins.
    They aren't really interoperable in most cases, and plugging a 5v DC fan into a 170v peak AC supply won't get you very far. And yes, it is 170v, the 120v is the RMS value (Peak/sqrt(2))
  • July 2nd, 2003, 04:37 PM
    Well, you know, they sell 120V fans at Radio Shack in popular sizes like 80mm, 92mm, 120mm.
  • July 2nd, 2003, 01:47 AM
    A friend of mine needed a small fan for a box he was making, so I just gave him an 80mm case fan I had laying around, and he ended up buying an AC/DC adapter plug from radio shack and just splicing the wires to the positive and negative of the fan. We ended up picking one up that supplies a little too much juice, apparently, and I'm sure the fan won't live very long. But it only needed to last for a little while, until he could find a 120V fan that suited his purposes.
  • July 1st, 2003, 10:02 PM
    what exactly are you trying to do? If it involves some sort of weird ducting outside air in, whatever, why not pick up a cheap squirrel cage fan that runs off 115v and run with that...seems to me that a couple of small computer fans aren't going to give you the results you are looking for ( although the stated concept is pretty vague at the moment )
  • July 1st, 2003, 05:19 PM
    So, did you ever finish your project? How did it turn out. I know I'm a little late here, but you can hook about 5 or 6 fans to a 1 Amp (1000 Ma) transformer. You can buy one new for about $6 or $7. As stated before, you can probably find one laying around the house or buy a used one for a buck or so.

  • June 18th, 2003, 01:02 AM
    cell phone idea is great idea . maybe me think why not go to a thrift shop and get a old razor, curling iron , what ever . something that has a tranformer coverter in it . toy car battery charger . i bet you can get one from thrift shop for under a buck . but whatever you do dont't buy a new pc power supply . and not retail at like compusa or anything they will want like 40$ for the cheapest pos they got . if you want to use a power supply from a pc get one on ebay or local computer shop . i bet the computer shop will get ya an old pos one for free if ya ask nice .
  • June 18th, 2003, 12:42 AM
    I did that last year in school to cool a little cabinet a system was in...tore apart an AT PSU, connected 6 80mm and 92mm fans in a chain, and let it go
  • June 18th, 2003, 12:41 AM
    ive used a transformer that has adjustable voltage. i believe i bought it at walmart. im running a 120mm fan behind all my entertainment equipment to help keep them cool. the being able to adjust the volts is nice cause i have it going fast enough to move air but quiet. you can use any transfomer that comes with any electronical device i believe. the way i played around with it was to take the red wire from my fan and strip it a little and stick it in the hole of the power plug and then i electrical taped the black (or was it the other way around) to the outside of the plug. and then i plugged the transformer in and walla a powered fan. if you dont know what a transformer is it is that big black box that is on the plug in side of you a cord that goes to a sell phone or a hub. they usually have the voltage written on them some where. you dont need any more than 12 volts sense a psu doesnt even put that much out a molex connector. an 18 volt power supply would probly burn up the fan in no time. you can run more than on fan off of the transformer too. good luck and post pics
  • June 18th, 2003, 12:27 AM
    If you want an exhaust fan, just go to Home Depot. The loud-as-hell ones start at about $10 or so and you just wire them to a circuit in your house. They'll move MUCH more air than any PC fan and you won't have to play around with the PSU and everything to get it to work.
  • June 17th, 2003, 09:25 PM
    if you hav a old cell phone charger laying around you can just cut off the phone end strip the wires and connect to the fan wires they are usually around 8 vdc and that will work for a fan
  • June 17th, 2003, 07:16 PM
    Go with cheapest as it does not matter about power consumption.
  • June 17th, 2003, 07:13 PM
    Thank You all for your help. I have found the answer.

    I will be going to the local PC shop and if not there to COMP USA for an AT PSU. (AT being cheeper than the ATX being that is is made for a P1 Mobo and ATX for P2 and above) The Newbie is learnin... Thanks again..
  • June 17th, 2003, 07:12 PM
    it is the old format for pc's that isn't used anymore . ask JPMiller about adding another power supply to your system for lights , fans . he has a rig that is modded that way . he could explain it best i have never modded a pc in my life .
  • June 17th, 2003, 07:06 PM
    Sorry... My picture can be found in the dictionary under Rookie, newblood.. etc etc
  • June 17th, 2003, 07:01 PM
    What does the AT Stand For???
  • June 17th, 2003, 07:00 PM
    Sounds easy enough...

    And I should be able to run all the fans... If not I can link them to the same wire right??

    Is somthing burning>>
  • June 17th, 2003, 07:00 PM
    well if they are case fans u need dc power like the others said . get a cheap power supply to run them . you will have to "trick" it to make it work because it isn't pluged into a motherboard . or a converter to convert ac to dc but they would cost alot more than just hooking them up to your exsisting ps or another . a at power supply from an old system will work fine and you can get them for next to nothing i bet at local comp shop . for free even or a dollar .
  • June 17th, 2003, 06:59 PM
    Radioshack I know sells 120volt fans for pretty cheap.

    For your fans, you don't have to have a computer PS to give power to them. If it provides 12 volts, and isn't high amperage, then it will run the fans just fine. If your fans have a blue wire, just clip it off, it's for fan monitors.
  • June 17th, 2003, 06:56 PM
    Another option is to run a secondary power supply independant of the computer...or if you have space, inside of it...not hard to do and you can use any old cheap or low powered PSU to do it!
    If your interested I can give you any info. you need to do it easily.
This thread has more than 20 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Copyright 2014 All Enthusiast, Inc