+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    jak

xbox mod without chip

has anyone successfully modded their xbox without a modchip? i found one guide but it seems unpopular and a little fishy. any recogmendations?
    Jak

a friend of mine once did it successfully, and another time unsuccessfully. to do it, you have to use this one particular game, and load this file onto a memory card and do this sequence of poperations, or something like that.

jak
    yeah i was reading up on that, i was wondering if there is any possible way to mod a xbox without using any retail games at all, maybe hotswapping ide cables or something? Basically i want to do this for $0, i have solder and everything else normal of course.
    jak

not possible...you at least have to rent a game to exploit the code. hardware mods require more than just solder and wires (i.e. a mod chip), and software mods requiring using an exploit, of which only two or three have been found, all in games.

Thats the only way i do mods, done hundreds of em that way. Used to solder them in and stuff but why when you can get it done literly in 10 min, 30 min if you have to put a larger HD in.

They are so safe now you cant skrew up. Just need a memory card, a exploitable game and go. Check www.xbox-scene.com

And you can do a tsop flash, using the existing bios chip on the xbox and rewrite to it, exactly the same as a mod chip, without buying it hehe, microsoft already supplys it on xbox versions 1.0-1.5

jak
    if i were to perform a tsop flash, is there any way i could borrow my roommates mod chip and copy it over to the bios on the motherboard?

when you flash you copy the bios to the HD or memory card or whever you want it, i've never had a flash go bad tho. You should really read more and ask more on xbox-scene.com. They will help you much more than we can here.

for fact there is a way to mod without a chip or doing a softmod. there is a way to flash the bios
    what? like a blue spider? get it off!
    http://live.xbox.com/member/BMF Yohon

yeah, i burn my back ups with nero vision 3 and my xbox is not mod but it plays them , it dosent play back ups cd's or mp3's tho, just back up dvd's with no chip,
    " He who cast the vote, decides nothing, He who counts the vote decides evrything"- J.stalin

either you dont know that your xbox is moded or your lying, playing back burned dvd's is impossible with a stock xbox for so many reasons, it has nothing to do with what you burned it with.

Quote Originally Posted by bfcx
    either you dont know that your xbox is moded or your lying, playing back burned dvd's is impossible with a stock xbox for so many reasons, it has nothing to do with what you burned it with.

i know my xbox its not modded but it plays back up dvd's out of the 8 i play so far only 1 coulndt play , im using ridata 8x dvd-r disk burning it with nero and it plays them i dont know how ,
    " He who cast the vote, decides nothing, He who counts the vote decides evrything"- J.stalin

for fact there is a way to mod without a chip or doing a softmod. there is a way to flash the bios
    What you described is a soft mod . A soft mod is modifying your xbox without additional hardware.

jak
    look, what im trying to figure out is what order i have to do things, cant i exploit the onboard bios using another modchip, then hot swap the ide ribbon from a computer to the xbox, then copy the files needed to the xbox, then somehow figure a way to flash the onboard bios and copy the contents of the modchip bios to the onboard, then remove the modchip and have a fully modified system?
    jak

Quote Originally Posted by originel
    What you described is a soft mod . A soft mod is modifying your xbox without additional hardware.
    without useing a software exploit

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to just pick up a 50$ non-solder modchip..open up the case..throw it in..and play. It would take less then an hour..

Maybe I'm out of line, but should you guys be talking about how to hack the XBox on this forum? That's against forum rules last I heard?

true, however there are no details being discussed here nor is there information being given on how to obtain mod chips (which are legal). however this discussion would probably be best over at xbox-scene

acatually i'll have to try 1 of my disc's i done many moons ago as long as you're not changing your region coding for dvd playback on the xbox a copied dvd movie should in theory work..

as for dvd games that's a different story..

it does work i just tried a disc i burnt when i 1st got this rig it played with no problems with dvd playback.

if you're trying play back another region's dvd then you will need a soft mod or hardware mod to remove region encryption or atleast circumvent the region settings..

though i will not go into detail on how to defeat region encryption for dvd copying as that's could be classed as piracy in some regions of the world...

to use the dvd playback you require external hardware mod those sneaky pricks at MS made the xbox in such a way that you require the dvd remote kit, as out of the box the dvd playback feature isn't available...
    Last edited by redacidman; December 28th, 2005 at 04:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redacidman
    acatually i'll have to try 1 of my disc's i done many moons ago as long as you're not changing your region coding for dvd playback on the xbox a copied dvd movie should in theory should work..

as for dvd games that's a different story..

it does work i just tried a disc i burnt when i 1st got this rig it played with no problems with dvd playback.

if you're trying play back another region's dvd then you will need a soft mod or hardware mod to remove region encryption or atleast circumvent the region settings..

though i will not go into detail on how to defeat region encryption for dvd copying as that's could be classed as piracy in some regions of the world...
    Defeat = DVD Shrink

My UNMODDED xbox does play burnt backup DVD Movies, it just won't play if I don't have the little dogle in.. You don't need a mod chip to play burnt DVDs, you need it to EXECUTE code from a DVD, which a DVD doesn't have, only Xbox Games

Softmodding is a lot cheaper to do than a hard mod. You can go to Xbox Scene and get a DVD compilation that they made of Xbox Softmods. Only thing is, you can't disable it, so no Xbox Live

Quote Originally Posted by Taken from Softmod Installer Deluxe v3.0.txt
    What do I need?
    ---------------

+ This Softmod Installer (obviously).

+ Auto-Installer Deluxe v1.01 or higher to use after the softmod is performed, in order
    to install dashboards, apps, and emulators.

+ An Xbox Memory Card, Action Replay, Mega X-Key, or a compatible USB Memory Stick (you
    will need a USB Adapter cable for this) to store the gamesaves so that you can load them
    on to your unmodded Xbox. Please note that it has been noticed that some Memory Cards
    that come with the Action Replay are not that reliable, so buy an official Xbox Memory
    Card to use with your Action Replay Cable.

+ An Original of either 007 Agent Under Fire, Mechassault, or Splinter Cell. Please note
    that the Xbox Classics range WILL NOT work, it must be the older versions.
    You can pick up ANY of those games for less than 20$ at a used game local retailer...

I bought MechAssualt for $2 and I followed the instructions and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Taken from Softmod Installer Deluxe v3.0.txt
    How do I do it? - Mechassault Install
    -------------------------------------

1. Copy the contents of SID3.MechAssault.Xbox-Hq to your memory device. The best
    ways are to use a modded Xbox to do it (by unzipping the file and copying the contents
    to E:\) and then transfering to your memory card, or use a Mega X-Key or
    Action Replay to dump the ZIP files on to.

2. Make sure the gamesave is on your unmodded Xbox, then turn it off.

3. Insert MechAssault and turn your Xbox on. When you're at the main menu of the game,
    select "Campaign" and then highlight "Run Linux". The information below should be
    shown when highlighing this, if so press A to boot the Installer. If not, your version
    of MechAssult is too new (the exploit was patched in later releases).

Controls: Normal
    Difficulty: Regular
    Current Level: Going Down Hard

4. Install the Softmod. Please note this deletes the MS Dash from C Drive, hence why you
    have been told to use the backup feature.

5. Turn off your Xbox and insert the Auto-Installer Deluxe v2.0 Disc.

6. Go to "Install Softmod + MS Dash". This will automatically set up your drive with the
    Softmod and MS Dash. Please note you will still have to install a hacked dashboard.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is bunny. Copy him into your signature to help him take over the world.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i have modded my xbox without a mod chip.

I used the saved game exploit to run EVOX on my xbox so i can play dvds withouth buying the dongle

No soldering for the win and took all of 15 minutes to do it.

I couldnt care less about xbox live (they have software to allow other xbox players game without a stupid fee)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information