+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Convert 5 pin Keyboard to USB

Would it be possible to rewire an old keyboard to USB? The plug currently is similar to ps2 but larger and has 5 pins.

(I know you can cheaply buy converters, but I’m just interested in doing it for fun)

The large 5-pin keyboard connector is electrically the same as the smaller PS/2 keyboard connector. Adapters are available.

You can then use something like this to adapt it to your computer's USB port:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9599&CatId=469

Lightbulb

You cannot passively wire an AT or PS/2 keyboard to USB - you need an active PS/2 to USB converter which usually includes female PS/2 connectors for both kbd and mouse. You will then need to adapt the AT connector of your kbd to PS/2 which you could do but it doesn't make sense given the cost of ready made AT to PS/2 adapters. I've found that the one-piece adapters are less reliable and put more stress on the computer connector than those that are made on a short piece of cable.
    . Those keyboards and mice that do have passive USB adapters (usually supplied with them from the mfr.) have the electronics internally to detect and adjust for the protocol to which they are connected.

.bh.

Last edited by zepper; April 25th, 2006 at 08:34 PM.
    "Our freedom depends on five boxes: soap, ballot, jury, witness; and, when all else fails, Ammo. " ?author?

Just get a new keyboard! No just kidding, but could he go from AT to ps2 to usb and use like connectors lol??
    Phenom 1100T @3.8GHz//8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333//XFX HD6870 Crossfire//Win7 64//3DMark11: P6702

Thanks for the replies, but I got impatient and learned the hard way. I found instructions of how to wire USB to Din and tried it in reverse; it just crashed my Mac, oh well.

I had already ordered an adapter, was just curious and had a spare keyboard… Still waiting for adapter to arrive.

Your motherboard may not work now...... been there tried that.

Ultimate Member
    The reverse adapting works for certain USB mice because these /detect/ they're on PS/2 and switch to PS/2 mode /internally/.

PS/2 keyboards and their older AT siblings of course haven't got the faintest idea about USB, and will try to do PS/2 on the USB wires.

This no work of course, and it might even fry the hardware on both ends.

Before the next DIY rush, brain in gear please!

Does a converter even exist?

Has anyone even made a 5-pin-to-USB converter? In stores I see 5-pin-to-6-pin converters and 6-pin-to-USB converters, but using both would be too sloppy. If someone knows of one, please point me to it!

And I can verify what someone just said about the single-piece converters being unreliable. My second one just broke.

In case you didn't know, the old big-connector kbds are long since obsolete. If you really want to use it, you have to get the two adapters or get a female Din cable mounted socket and wire that onto the PS/2 to USB converter where the PS/2 kbd socket is.

.bh.
    "Our freedom depends on five boxes: soap, ballot, jury, witness; and, when all else fails, Ammo. " ?author?

Well....

In therory you can rewire a din 5 keyboard for usb. The din five uses the same wire configuration as the ps/2 so you could modify the caseing a bit for a ps/2 to usb adaptor and simplt splice in the wireing. Din 5 and ps/2 both use four wires. Ground. 5volt vcc. Clock. Data. So all you hafta do is match everything up and viola! a usb keyboard! and if you get the ubs to ps/2 adaptor with plugs for both keyboard and mouse. you can make it so your mouse can plug into the keyboard as well.

mr

ive tried splicing a regular keyboards to usb to use on ps3 i get 3 blinking lights and keyboard doesnt work

You need to careful when trying to rewire a din 5 keyboard for USB. For as you learned the hard way, your entire system could crash. It is not worth it.
    You need to remember for future reference that you could have done what zepper mentioned......got two female adapters and wire it onto a PS/2 to USB converter.
    Good luck next time!
    Mordy Naftaly
    Serial RS232 RS485 RS422 TTL USB Fiber Optic Converter / Converters
    Last edited by Jim777; November 24th, 2009 at 05:51 PM.

i tried converting regular pin keyboard to usb by connecting the end by the wires from non-functional usb keyboard.. i got the computer find my keyboard but is asking me to install driver cd.. what should i do...?

5 pin keyboard to 2 wire usb

I've attached an image of a 5 pin keyboard connection which I've opened and there are 4 wires: yellow, green, red and white. Can they be connected to the four wire usb on the right? The usb on the right actually has a red, black and a white and green wire. The latter two are not shown in the attached photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Convert 5 pin Keyboard to USB-dsc_0092.jpg  
    Last edited by ofey; January 6th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

USB is a 4 conductor system. +5v, 0v, +Data and -Data are common names for the wires.

Hi Paul9, Thanks for the reply. Is it possible then to connect a 5 pin connection to a 4 conductor usb?
    Last edited by ofey; January 7th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    His name isn't Jessica, It's Paul.

Oops! I corrected that. Thanks

It is pretty much what zepper and PeterM have already posted in this thread. Time for a new keyboard.
    There is a small chance you could re-attach the PS/2 plug and get an adapter for PS/2 to USB.
    It isn't worth the hassle, or the expense, unless you have a really special keyboard.
    Last edited by paul9; January 7th, 2013 at 07:06 AM.

USB to PS/2 convertor check this link. I m too planning to use my old compaq keyboard on my laptop.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information