+ Reply to Thread

Cool New build, need advice please.

I'm looking to put together a new build and I'm in need of some advice. I've picked out all the parts and wanna run them by you guys since I trust your judgment and knowledge. :-)

Here are the parts I'm looking to purchase and the links to listings on Newegg.com for reference:

And here are the parts I have that will be used to round things out:

I'm not looking to get too far away from what I've listed, but I wanna know if the RAM is what I need to run AM2. I know you are supposed to run a certain type, but can't remember if it's PC 6400 or not. If you want to make some suggestions for different RAM then by all means please do, but I don't want to get too expensive because I'm not looking to OC my stuff. I can't really tell if I need an IDE to SATA cord for my older DVD drive but I think there's one in the house some where.. hehe.
    Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz Socket AM3 || ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX || ASUS EAH6950 Radeon HD 2GB || 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1333 || Thermaltake Toughpower W0106RU 700W || WD Blue 500GB || WD Caviar SE16 250GB || Win7 64 || CM Storm Trooper

Oh yeah.. I forgot to ask one thing.. If I go with AM2 will I be able to use two of those OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 sets for the max load of 8GB RAM on the board? I know some boards say they can use 8GB, but they usually can only do one set of them.
    Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz Socket AM3 || ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890FX || ASUS EAH6950 Radeon HD 2GB || 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1333 || Thermaltake Toughpower W0106RU 700W || WD Blue 500GB || WD Caviar SE16 250GB || Win7 64 || CM Storm Trooper

I was going through some threads around the web and people were saying that 1066 is for the AM2+ core. Is this true? I'm only wanting to run the AM2 core so I guess I have to go with 800's.

How's these look?
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Those are very wrong parts to have picked out man. First things first, you don't need anywhere near 1kw to power that system. That is a total waste of money when $150 could have gone to the mobo + CPU instead (which is lacking, but I'll talk about that in a minute). Realistically, your system needs 450W tops. I know an e7300 with a 4830 uses 300W at load. Your system doesnt take that much more. I'm even guessing 350W - 400W at very most.

You need to keep in mind that you should always get a PSU that fits your system requirements. PSUs usually peak in their efficiency at around 40%-70% of their max load. Getting that PSU will mean that you are realistically running your PSU at a very low efficiency since only when you have everything fully powered up do you start to hit the higher efficiencies. Most of the time your computer will be idling at 20% or 30% of your PSU load, and the efficiencies at that range can really start to get pretty crappy.

To make matters worse, that PSU you chose is not that great to start with. You could find cheaper PSUs from better brands that actually perform much better (in terms of efficiency and regularity of its voltage supply to your components).

For a more detailed explanation of what I was trying to explain, check this out.

AnandTech: Debunking Power Supply Myths

This is a much better choice. It also has a whopping 41amps on one single rail, which I personally prefer. It also lets you spend $150 on a better CPU and mobo.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Next is your CPU and motherboard. By no means is the 6400+ X2 a slouch, but its really by no means a fast CPU anymore by today's standards. Your graphics card is also rippin fast, which might be limited in games by your limited CPU power.

I suggest this.
    Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

And this motherboard to accompany
    Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

You could also consider going for a quad core CPU. This Q6600 a little slower (maybe 6 or 7fps slower in CPU intensive games) but will pay off in the year ahead when more applications start to make use of the extra cores in the thing.
    Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Lastly, may I suggest this ram? I think it looks much better than that gold thing you chose
    Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Oh and may I suggest this ram? I think it looks much better than that gold thing you chose
    Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

As for the hard drives you have, I suggest you use the 500gb one as your boot (and game) drive and the 250gb one to store whatever else like pictures and things. This is simply because the 500gb WD drive drive is faster.
    Last edited by pullmyfoot; January 4th, 2009 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramen View Post
    I was going through some threads around the web and people were saying that 1066 is for the AM2+ core. Is this true? I'm only wanting to run the AM2 core so I guess I have to go with 800's.

How's these look?
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
    AM2 can run a variety of ram speeds, its up to the chipset on the board, no the socket. It will run your basic speeds like 800mhz and 1066mhz just fine. Anyway, as I explained in my previous post, you don't wanna be going AM2. Even if you wanted to go for AMD, the AM2+ chipset is the newer standard of AM2 which you want to be going for instead.

Well a few obvious things that stick out would be...

Too expensive a power supply..
    Even if you were running 2 4870 X2's and a half dozen harddrives you wouldnt have to spend that much on a PSU..
    This will more than suffice WITH headroom for the build you listed...
    Newegg.com - Antec True Power Trio TP3-430 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Power Supplies

You dont have to buy 800 rated ram, buy the 1066 since its cheap, and then if you upgrade youll already be set...
    memory is cheap now so don't skimp

That Asus is nothing special, so save a little money and double the memory cap with this Biostar....
    Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TF720 A2+ AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 720a ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

if it were me I wouldnt waste money on Vista period right now, but ESPECIALLY not Ultimate...
    If you have to buy Vista, get home premium OEM...
    Windows"7" or whatever will be out in a month or 2 likely and youll be stuck with an overpriced POS that youll be wanting to rid yourself of

I would personally invest in a better case than that, with the money saved from the PSU...
    An Antec 300 is cheap and has amazing cooling...

If not a new case then a tinsnips and some bigger fans...
    take that stupid swirl off the side of the case with the tinsnips or a dremel, and replace the window with stiff mesh and mount a 120 - 140mm fan there

Yeah, I would do what he said about the case too. The Antec 300 is only 60 bucks. And way better than that Raidmax.

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

If you want something a little flashier like the Raidmax case you havem check out the Antec 900.

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

As JP also said, Vista Ultimate is a complete waste of money. With the money saved, you actually have the money for a better case so do yourself a favour and get the Antec 900.

I guess I've been going about it the wrong way.. lol. For whatever reason I assumed having more watts would be a great idea, but like both of you have said I'd have to run a ton of stuff to utilize it completely. Would that PSU cover another video card and maybe some more HDs when I get around to putting a few others in?

I'm not a big fan of Intel. From personal experience I've enjoyed AMD and would prefer to stick with it. So, is there that much of a difference from AM2 and AM2+ because I've seen that AM2+ doesn't have anything above 2.7GHz for AMD.

As for the hard drives you have, I suggest you use the 500gb one as your boot (and game) drive and the 250gb one to store whatever else like pictures and things. This is simply because the 500gb WD drive drive is faster.
    That's how I've been running it.

if it were me I wouldnt waste money on Vista period right now, but ESPECIALLY not Ultimate...
    If you have to buy Vista, get home premium OEM...
    Windows"7" or whatever will be out in a month or 2 likely and youll be stuck with an overpriced POS that youll be wanting to rid yourself of
    So what's the point in Vista then..? Damn you Microsoft..
    Last edited by Ramen; January 5th, 2009 at 12:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pullmyfoot View Post
    Yeah, I would do what he said about the case too. The Antec 300 is only 60 bucks. And way better than that Raidmax.

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

If you want something a little flashier like the Raidmax case you havem check out the Antec 900.

Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

As JP also said, Vista Ultimate is a complete waste of money. With the money saved, you actually have the money for a better case so do yourself a favour and get the Antec 900.
    Probably a great idea from both of you regarding the OS. I think the main reason was just to get something new looking.. lol.. My bro just built himself a new system and installed Vista but I hate all the damn pop-ups you get asking if this and that is okay. Maybe I'll just stick with my XP Pro and go with the Antec 900 because I love the USB access on top.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Probably a great idea from both of you regarding the OS. I think the main reason was just to get something new looking.. lol.. My bro just built himself a new system and installed Vista but I hate all the damn pop-ups you get asking if this and that is okay. Maybe I'll just stick with my XP Pro
    Vista's UAC is easy enough to turn off, but as mentioned Windows 7 will be out soon (the first beta has already been leaked). So you might hold off on buying a new OS for the moment.

As for the AM2+ part, forget the old hat thinking of clock speed vs clock speed. The AM2+ chips for the most part are triple-quad core, the x2 7750 being the only current exception. Am2+ and now AM3 are the newest sockets from AMD. AM3 is out now and will be shipping soon and will support DDR3 and (hopefully) faster better 45nm phenom II chips
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Looking at this puppy for quad-core. Just need a suggestion for a nice mobo if think it's worth the CPU.
    AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+

And I'd need DDR2 1066 RAM with an AM2+ core right? Or is that just some myth put out there.. lol. Sorry apparently I'm not as knowledgeable about my parts as I thought I was..

Ok if you must stick to AMD (I like the way you think ), then get a good AM2+ board and wait for the Phenom II line to come out in a bit. Its supposed to be at least as good as Intel's Core 2 Duo and Quad line. However its gonna still lose out to Intel's new Core i7 CPUs.

If you can wait, I suggest you wait a month or two. The Phenom IIs will come out and so will Windows 7. If you cannot wait, then this is what I suggest.

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 Brisbane 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops
    Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

The CPU is cheap so it would not really hurt to get a new CPU in 2 months. The motherboard is compatible with the new Phenom IIs so your good there. Then you can experiment with overclocking that black edition 5400+x2. You could easily hit 3ghz+ with that thing. My regular 5200+x2 got to 3ghz +. I'm sure your black edition will manage higher clocks than that.

Oh you might need a decent cooler too
    Newegg.com - ZEROtherm ZEN FZ120 120mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

That ends up costing the same as the 6400+ X2 know but you get to use the fan on a new CPU and you get a nice black edition CPU for overclocking.

However its still really best to wait 2 months if you must stick with AMD. I suggest just going for Intel really if you must have it now.
    Last edited by pullmyfoot; January 5th, 2009 at 01:12 AM.

Looking at this puppy for quad-core. Just need a suggestion for a nice mobo if think it's worth the CPU.
    AMD Phenom 9950 2.6GHz Socket AM2+

And I'd need DDR2 1066 RAM with an AM2+ core right? Or is that just some myth put out there.. lol. Sorry apparently I'm not as knowledgeable about my parts as I thought I was..
    No you don't. And the money spent over 800 is usually not worth it.

Can a mod delete that idiots advertising post please..? Doesn't have anything to do with the thread. Anyway.. Should I be trusting any PSU calculators I find on the web? I checked out the one that's one Newegg.com and they are recommending a 600w supply. I used the following config for it:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 65w
    Highend Desktop Motherboard
    ATi Radeon HD 2900 Series
    2GB DDR2 x 2
    DVD-RW
    7200 RPM 3.5" HD x 2

What worries me a little is that I'm actually using a higher video card so if that calculator is correct I'd want more. wtf..? And with running a 64 core will that be slowed down since I'm only running XP Pro and not a 64-bit OS?

BTW, I went with a lot f your recommendations guys for parts:

Oh and I've never done any OCing so I'm weary of doing that right off the bat.. lol. If anything some pointers would be great if I decide to go with that lower CPU you suggested and try to OC it to 3.0+ and thanks for the heads up about the Phenom II.

I was going through and came across a PSU calculator a lot of people seem to be referring to.. I ran some numbers with quad core and it was pushing 800w just without crossfire when with dual core it ran only 500w. So, should I plan for 1000w if in the future I want to throw in a quad core and a second video card? That's what I'm wanting to do in the future and if I can save money now to get a PSU for later then why not right?

EDIT: Had selected Quad Socket thinking they meant Quad Core.. lol..
    Last edited by Ramen; January 5th, 2009 at 06:50 PM.

NO. That stuff is usually not very accurate. They take into account crappy generic PSUs. If you get a good quality PSU its hard to get over 500W - 600W unless you have 2 very very high powered graphics cards in there. I assure you that system is gonna do 350W tops.

As for overclocking, thats what the cheap CPU is for. It wouldnt hurt if you broke it . Anyway its quite hard to break it you have to be an idiot to break it. Just make sure your CPU doesnt get over 65 degrees celcius (I think thats 150 F) and you should be fine. Oh and try not to go over 15% of the original CPU V-core (voltage) or you might wear out your CPU real fast.

BTW there is no one advertising as far as I can see. Perhaps you get those ads below the posts do ya? And in between em? You get those when you don't log in . And certain posts have google ads below them. The site has to make some money to run ya know

Quote Originally Posted by pullmyfoot View Post
    NO. That stuff is usually not very accurate. They take into account crappy generic PSUs. If you get a good quality PSU its hard to get over 500W - 600W unless you have 2 very very high powered graphics cards in there. I assure you that system is gonna do 350W tops.

As for overclocking, thats what the cheap CPU is for. It wouldnt hurt if you broke it . Anyway its quite hard to break it you have to be an idiot to break it. Just make sure your CPU doesnt get over 65 degrees celcius (I think thats 150 F) and you should be fine. Oh and try not to go over 15% of the original CPU V-core (voltage) or you might wear out your CPU real fast.
    Alright I'll take the into consideration. Thanks for all the help. Oh and I think a mod deleted the post. There was one from an account with only 3 posts advertising for some DVD ripper program. I know about the ads before and after posts.. hehe.

I do many builds for people and almost always I use a 370W PC Power and Cooling PSU. Good brand For more powerful gaming builds I step up to the 500W version of the PSU. Never fails

I still really do strongly advise you to wait a month or two if you must do AMD though.
    Last edited by pullmyfoot; January 6th, 2009 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information