+ Reply to Thread

Thoughts on PC Build

I am looking to pull the trigger on the system below but would like feedback, if available.

I am not a "hard" core gamer but want the system to have some flexibility. I play WOW 90% of the time and not much else. I do want the ability to run multiple programs (nothing like video editing) while playing a game so that went into my choices.

Any feedback is appreciated. The entire build below is coming out at around $1,200 with tax & shipping and I think is pretty decent for what I am getting. Not including software as I am using XP Pro (already own). The system is being built to upgrade to WIN 7 in the future.

I am not "sold" on the ANTEC 900 case yet. I am going to look at a buddies tonight to check it out. I want a very quiet case with good cooling (and a top fan for venting). The ANTEC seems to be the best rated for those needs.

Motherboard: - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX

Processor: - AMD Phenom 9950 Agena 2.6GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition

RAM: - 4GB - Corsair (PC 8500) (2 x 2gb) Dual Channel

Video Card - EVGA 01G-P3-N981-TR GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
    Sound: On board - 8 channel

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    DVD Rom - ASUS 22X DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-22B1LT

Network - On board Gigabit
    Wireless - TRENDnet TEW-623PI 32-Bit PCI Rev. 2.1/2.2/2.3 Wireless N-Draft Adapter

Case - ANTEC 900
    Power Supply - BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8

Monitor(s) - QTY 2 - Acer V223-WBD 22" Widescreen TFT LCD Monitor (Black)

just a quick piece of info for you, xp cannot be installed on SATA HDD'S as it does not have any SATA drivers built into it unless you have the SATA drivers for your mobo on a floppy in which case you will need to hit the option to install a third party raid driver during the install, and of course you will need a floppy drive in your new machine

alternatively you can build the SATA drivers into an xp install disc which is a bit tricky but google "installing xp to SATA" it will bring up a few sites which explain how to do this

Blog Entries
    ^That is untrue.
    I just got reinstalling my OS (XP Pro SP3) on my sata HDDs no issue.
    I have no idea what your talking about. I've installed XP hundreds of times on SATA HDDs without installing drivers.
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Its probably a bit late since this thread is a couple weeks old but IMO I'd skip the AMD build altogether and go Intel. For not much more in cost you would have a better foundation. Even if you did stick with the AMD system I'd throw a little more money out there and get one of the new CPU's. You could skip the Antec 900 go with the 300 for $50 less and add that cost to either the GPU or better CPU and you'd be far better off.

On a bit of a side note, I don't see any mention of an aftermarket cooler or overclocking. If you aren't a heavy gamer and aren't OC'ing you could also save a little cash and go with a more budget minded motherboard. You might only shave $20-30 but again that could be spent on a better CPU, more memory or other peripherals.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; April 15th, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

You only need to worry about Sata drivers on older motherboards. My new gigabyte motherboard for my i7 installs xp without having to install any third party drivers. I would also go with intel over amd... my new i7 is blazing fast and with the stock fan i had 8 cores running at 3.5ghz. My whole system was only $1000 and that was for an i7, 3gb ddr3, 9800gt, dvd burner, 1tb hard drive
    I7 920@3.7Ghz// 6GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 // XFX 5770 // 64GB Corsair SSD // 2 - 1.5TB Seagate's

it looks ok but if its 90% Wow i wouklld go for a cheaper build, but well i know after you get this youll be goigninto many other games

another thing. for 1200 you coulddo an i7 920 build.
    much better IMO

for cases try: NZXT Tempest
    best ventillation out there, the best in my opinion for mid-towers
    much better than antec 900

oh an go for ddr3 and the EVGA gtx 260 core 216 55nm

This thread pretty much died long before you posted. Even then the i7 can only be used with ddr3 at the moment.

huh?

thread started april 2nd and wasn't posted in till the 15th then darkertint posted on the 24th and you followed suit.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Jumping on the Bandwagon of posting late

Quote Originally Posted by glendalf81 View Post
    just a quick piece of info for you, xp cannot be installed on SATA HDD'S as it does not have any SATA drivers built into it unless you have the SATA drivers for your mobo on a floppy in which case you will need to hit the option to install a third party raid driver during the install, and of course you will need a floppy drive in your new machine

alternatively you can build the SATA drivers into an xp install disc which is a bit tricky but google "installing xp to SATA" it will bring up a few sites which explain how to do this
    Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKiller View Post
    ^That is untrue.
    I just got reinstalling my OS (XP Pro SP3) on my sata HDDs no issue.
    I have no idea what your talking about. I've installed XP hundreds of times on SATA HDDs without installing drivers.
    Karma's right, lets see..

my old AMD Socket 939 X2 platform, SATA WinXP No Floppy.

my AM2 X2 (just sold) XP SATA and no floppy.

AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3000+, XP SATA no floppy

AMD Socket 939 Opteron 165 Dual core (soon to be put together) Could run XP with SATA & no floppy needed.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 XP SATA no floppy needed

Intel Q6600 XP SATA no floppy needed

Intel E2140 Pentium Dual core XP SATA no floppy

Intel Core i7 920 (very soon to be put together), XP SATA and no floppy period (no floppy controller/connector at all)

just a few examples of systems I've had or built in the last few years.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

I want to know where people are hearing about xp not being able to be put on SATA drives. Cause thats the third time I heard something like that. I can safely say xp 64 bit is running perfectly on my SATA driver.
    I did run 32 bit on it for a while too with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by cksboy15 View Post
    I want to know where people are hearing about xp not being able to be put on SATA drives. Cause thats the third time I heard something like that. I can safely say xp 64 bit is running perfectly on my SATA driver.
    I did run 32 bit on it for a while too with no problems.
    It all depends on your motherboard. New Motherboards don't have a problem with it, but older motherboards, probably mostly ones with Sata 1 needs 3rd party drivers before xp will recognize it.

Also, the thread was only a week old when I first posted so I wouldnt really consider that dead
    I7 920@3.7Ghz// 6GB Mushkin Redline DDR3 // XFX 5770 // 64GB Corsair SSD // 2 - 1.5TB Seagate's

I've only upgraded to SATA recently so I had no idea that there were any problems with XP.

I consider a thread dead after 3 days

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    I've never once encountered issues using SATA (SATA 1) drives with XP on older boards either, needing 3rd party drivers...

could be certain boards/chipsets that would be the culprit, have used several older SATA 1 based boards & drives & like I mentioned never had issues with XP & drivers.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information