+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cheapest Build Possible for Win7?

I'm just looking to see if you guys can give me a ballpark figure of the cheapest build I can make that will be good enough to run Windows 7 decently.

Right now, the comp I'm looking to upgrade from is:
    Intel Celeron 1.8ghz
    256mb RAM
    Windows XP
    Old mobo, integrated gfx only, no sound card, very old comp...
    80gb HD 7200rpm
    DVD Drive
    DVD Burner
    All parts are probably a good 8 years old

May need a new LCD monitor.. 19" would be nice... I'm guessing that'll be the deal breaker..

But considering I can get Win7 for $30, I got a keyboard, mouse, printer already..
    I'm looking for Mobo, gfx card if needed (I have an old ati radeon x800gto), PSU + Case, anything else I missed.
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair 2x512 Dual Channel RAM
    Connect3D Radeon x800GTO

Blog Entries
    If its a 'very old comp' then you would be best to try and sell it for what you can and start from new.... You can build a basic windows 7 system (with on-board gpu) for around $350 (mabye a bit less).
    I7 920 @ 4.2Ghz/6GB//GTX480 SLI/M4 64 GB + 1.5 TB + 2x 640 GB/Corsair TX950/ASUS blu-ray/ASUS P6X58D-E + X-Fi /LC PCK62

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Alright cool, $350 isn't too bad...
    And yeah, I mean upgrade as a whole new build, it's too old to actually upgrade from, lol
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Asus A8N-E
    Connect3D Radeon x800GTO

Oooh nice... Thanks man! That looks like the builds better than my current one here... Might have to swap with my mobo/cpu/ram... haha.
    Well I know were christmas is heading now!
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Asus A8N-E
    Connect3D Radeon x800GTO

Thay PSU is a terrible choice for the price...
    Look at the rails... Even though its a Fortron/SPI its still weak for the money...
    At minimum get this...FSP Group ATX350-PA
    or...
    Newegg.com - SeaSonic SS-300ET 300W ATX12V Ver.2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
    Last edited by JPMiller; November 16th, 2009 at 10:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    You do not want to install something on an ancient 80GB hard drive, old drives are dreadfully slow.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

I'm worried about the case. Very bad reviews about the HDD cage blocking the SATA ports.
    Verizon FiOS Tier 2 Technical Support

What is your budget, it can get a lot nicer for not that much more $. The build answered your initial question but, that build was going for cost alone, not performance or reliability. The case is a good point, from the reviews it is crap and probably more headaches than one that is a little more expensive. A budget would help out alot to try to do a better build.
    Vi per Concordiam

here is a half decent case. In fact, pretty decent. its only $10 more. And infinitely better than that linkworld stuff
    Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

may I also suggest this DVD drive. Its good stuff (quiet).
    Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Alright alright nice.
    I'm not certain of my budget yet.. I'll see what I'm gonna contribute out of pocket, and what my parents would. Really, I'd only be doing this for my parents basically.. but we'll see about that..
    I'm considering taking like, 2-3 months to collect parts, so I can wait to find deals here or there on select parts that fit my criteria, just have to be careful so I know it all fits together...
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Asus A8N-E
    Connect3D Radeon x800GTO

no dont do that. buy all at once. in two months you will realize that the CPU you bought has been replaced by a new model and is 25% cheaper (hypothetically). its the way technology works. jsut wait til you have the money to buy everything.

+1 to pullmyfoot. Figure out when you want it, save up the money then buy it all at once. Your better off that way, you don't want parts coming in over the span of a few months, you may lose track of them and it gets frustrating that you have some and can't build it. Another concern is the warranty, some things come 30, 60, 90 days. If you get something with a short warranty, you don't want to put it in a system and find it is DOA and out of warranty. Most have a longer time but they also must be registered within a smaller time frame to be activated or extended. Example 1 year but if registered within 30 days of purchase it extends to 2 years or longer or must be registered within 30 days of purchase.
    Vi per Concordiam

Okay okay, very good idea! Thanks again. I'll look for some more help once I figure out my exact financial situation
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Asus A8N-E
    Connect3D Radeon x800GTO

yup. i forgot about the warranty too

You have a nice 3800+x2 there. Why dont you give them your system and build the new one for yourself . I think you would have more use for the extra power than they do anyways, right?

That's a good idea.. I just don't feel like reformatting and starting fresh on a new system, so hopefully it'll all work right on the new system, cause I was considering that...
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
    Asus A8N-E
    Connect3D Radeon x800GTO

well its not thattt much trouble. think of the new computer you will have

These are far from the cheapest 7 build. Look at these, should come cheaper. Actually, you can even get a fan for half what I have shown here. Though this fan is great for the price... Yank a DVD reader out of something you already have, and you are ready to go.

MSI K9N6PGM2-V Apex Barebone Kit - MSI K9N6PGM2-V Motherboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215 Dual Core Processor, Ultra 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory, Apex PC-302 Black Mid-Tower Case w/ 300W PSU at TigerDirect.com

Ultra X-Wind Aluminum Socket K8/AM2/AM2+/AM3 CPU Cooling Fan at TigerDirect.com

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive - 7200 RPM, 8MB, SATA-3G at TigerDirect.com

The board has OBV, and it suffices for windows 7. People here seem to favor Newegg, I have had a less than favorable experience with them, that is why I stick to Tiger.

Blog Entries
    Those barebone kits are complete garbage. The ram is junk and not enough for a good Win7 desktop. The case and power supply are complete junk (I wouldn't pay shipping for those). Saving $8 on buying them together is not worth the garbage that is in it.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information