+ Reply to Thread

DIY barebook help?

I am planning on building (if possible) a laptop for college next year. I have been looking into barebooks as of today, trying to learn more and see which one would be best for me, but obviously, not having prior education and the previous post out of date(links from google etc) I wish to post my own question. I want to build a laptop with a high Ghz CPU, (unless a new one created) an i7 probably, since i hate AMD please dont even say to do with that, a huge ram capsity (at least upgradeable to 16 if not above), a SSD instead of a HDD, again of large size perferably, and a semi-good graphics card. I am not a gamer, but i am an amateur photographer so the the graphics card will be for that. This will be my laptop through my 4 years of college (building it this well to make sure it lasts unlike the store premade one). Any advice would be amazing, especially on what kind of barebooks to get, what components to buy instead of those listed above, i have no prior formal training in computers, just what i have learned from older sibling and messing around.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    First off let me say, 16gbs on even a desktop is overkill for almost anyone and going to be out of reach on a latop. I'm not even sure they make 8gb sticks for a lappy yet and if they do you are looking at a stupid ridiculous cost!!

Second GPU, AFAIK most your barebones laptops don't have upgradeable GPUs, hell most laptops don't to begin with. Photography and most software you'd be using won't use a high end gpu anyways. Most rendering is cpu intensive and most the software doesn't utilize the GPU.

Third if you are looking for a 'powerhouse' machine idea skip the laptop idea and put the money in and buy a GOOD desktop and a decent laptop. Most the stuff you do on a lappy is pretty basic so you could get a budget machine there and spend the rest on a better desktop that would handle the power stuff better than an overpriced lappy would.

Edit: add in numero 4 - SSDs are pretty pricey and 'large' capacity is not in the vocab yet. The cost/performance just isn't there yet and if you are looking for high cap. you are much better off going traditional sata hdd's. Almost every photographer I know that is using a lappy for their work has to use additional USB drives for storage and that pretty much negates the benefit of having an SSD.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; October 29th, 2010 at 08:47 PM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Like i said, LITTLE experience, thanks a lot, and yeah, that was kind of dumb thinking for a 16gb. haha. But yeah, I'm not rich, so I obviously have a tight budget, well, not that tight, just not expansive. Also, you to think, that I'll be living in a dorm too, at least for the first year of college, so having a desktop in general would be kinda cluttery, but I guess I'm trying to get the perfect laptop, which of course is impossible.

So what would you recommend I get? Laptop version in full.

thanks for the reply by the way.

ALSO: please remember that this is a college purposed laptop as well, so a decent battery life if possible (im willing to lug around an extra battery) and still mobile and not 100lbs haha.
    Last edited by faceforest; October 29th, 2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Forgot Information

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOL well what kind of budget are you looking at? You don't game and you are only running a few photography apps, I think you said cs5 and lightroom. No video rendering or anything crazy, and no overkill on the mutli-tasking right?
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

I can do probably $2500 and under. Less obviously is better. Hahah. But yeah, I just cs5 and lightroom, not games, and no crazy stuff. and maybe some overkill on multitasking? Well i wouldnt say overkill, but a good amount of it, (mp3s, both editings open, internet streaming, browsing, burning cds) thats kinda about it i guess.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    one with a lower end Geforce 8 or newer series GPU would be nice, since you can do GPU Acceleration with Photoshop CS4 or newer.

An Option: Newegg.com - SONY VAIO Z Series VPCZ125GX/S NoteBook Intel Core i5 520M(2.40GHz) 13.1" 6GB Memory DDR3 1066 256GB SSD HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M + Intel HD

another: Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite A665-3DV8 NoteBook Intel Core i7 740QM(1.73GHz) 15.6" 6GB Memory 640GB HDD 5400rpm Blu-ray Disc / Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GTS 350M

some others: Newegg.com - Fujitsu LifeBook NH570(FPCR61321) NoteBook Intel Core i7 620M(2.66GHz) 18.4" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG RF510-S01 NoteBook Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Newegg.com - TOSHIBA Satellite M645-S4080 NoteBook Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz) 14" 6GB Memory 640GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Newegg.com - MSI FX600-003US NoteBook Intel Core i3 350M(2.26GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce GT 325M

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5742G-7200 NoteBook Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5745G-7671 NoteBook Intel Core i3 370M(2.40GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

I was looking for more of a barebook to upgrade myself rather than a pre-built one, because I have found very nice pre-builts, but if i built it myself, i will save money. thanks though

EDIT: Yeah i get how that last post wasn't really specified. I meant 2.5k in total, and wanted recommended parts to buy, like what kind of cpu, what kind of barebooks, etc. not the whole laptop in full

Um, no you won't, Trust me, you'll pay almost as much as these doing it yourself, Laptops DIY kits aren't quite the same as DIY kits for PC's. The parts are more expensive and the selection limited with limited competition for other parts.

ANY DIY kit is only going to let you add your own CPU (As long as its compatible with the Laptops Motherboard), RAM, Hard drive, and maybe Optical Drive, but thats about all you'll be able to add.

Add in its REALLY hard to find a Notebook DIY kit at most of the major Retailers.

If your wanting to customize a Laptop, then best thing to do is to visit Dell or one of the other Pre-builts sites, and Customize a given model from their options and order that.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Ohh. Okay. Yeah I did look through dell's customization and such, I just figured it was kinda like a PC, although knew it was not as cheap.

Also, just for secondary information, do you by chance know of any barebooks that support i7 or ghz of that or higher? I mean, if I can find the parts, why not at least compare prices.

nope, no Idea, like I mentioned even with the Major Retail sites, none of them carry any sort of Barebone Notebooks, and only Newegg I see carries a Barebone Netbook, but these are EXTREMELY limited mini Laptops, Already comes with a CPU that can't be upgraded (Can be Overclocked, but this adds more heat output and drains battery life), Video can not be upgraded, and no Expansion card options, the only things you can install are RAM and Hard drive, and those will be limited options as well.

Laptops are NOT as Upgradable or customizable as Desktops.

With a $2500 Budget, you have more than enough to buy one of the Cheaper Laptops listed above, with a decent lower range Nvidia GPU for GPU Acceleration in CS4/CS5, and a Core i3/i5 Dual Core CPU, etc, and still have money left over to build a Custom Desktop that would be even more capable, and customizable.

Either one of these Acer Models would be good: Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5742G-7200 NoteBook Intel Core i5 460M(2.53GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS5745G-7671 NoteBook Intel Core i3 370M(2.40GHz) 15.6" 4GB Memory 500GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce GT 420M

In my Opinion anyways.

not sure on battery life, but performance wise they should be good.

Wouldn't cost a lot more to purchase a 2nd Battery to have on standby with them, and carried in a case with it.

With the remaining budget after one of these, you could easily build a nice Desktop PC, thats at least comparable in specs to the Laptop, but have a larger LCD Display, and would allow you to customize and upgrade better down the road.

That does make sense, I'll just build an at home desktop for when I'm on break. Thanks a lot to everyone, and thank you for the links!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information