PSU - Silent Engine TP71002368 [550W]
    SC - MB Integrated

Sound System - Logitech X-230 2.1 Speakers w/ Sub
    Monitor - ASUS 24" V242H

So whatcha guys think?

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll never understand the fascination with creating "rate my pc threads"
    I mean does it do what you want? Are you happy with the performance you got out of the upgrade? If so then what difference does it make what we rate it?

Other than that what do you want it rated on? Overall performance? cost effectiveness? comparison to new builds?

What did you have before the upgrades?
    What was the point of your upgrade? better gaming, a bit more multitasking?
    What did you spend on your upgrades?

Its a decent system for something that is has now well past it's prime and has no future upgrade potential but its not earth shattering. It'd kill my current rig, but that doesn't say much!
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Whats the Power supply?

Is that the actual brand of PSU?

reason I ask Is I have never heard of that as a brand or model/series before.

is this the PSU?

E-Power Silent Engine 550W Power Supply (PSU) - Specifications and Features - Legit Reviews

If that is your PSU, its WAY out of date, and old.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    Whats the Power supply?

Is that the actual brand of PSU?

reason I ask Is I have never heard of that as a brand or model/series before.

is this the PSU?

E-Power Silent Engine 550W Power Supply (PSU) - Specifications and Features - Legit Reviews

If that is your PSU, its WAY out of date, and old.
    To answer the first guy, My upgrades were the video card and cpu.
    OVC - EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX 512mb
    OCPU - Intel Core 2 Quad q9450 2.66mhz

And to answer you, my computer was originally built by Velocity Micro in 2008 with windows vista sp1 [now w7 ultimate 64bit] so maybe that explains why it's old and outdated. xD

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    IMO the video card was a nice upgrade but I fail to see why you'd upgrade a Q9450 for a Q9550 unless you just had it laying around or got it free???

Like I said for it being a few generations old its a nice build and would have been a decent build a couple years ago. Depending on what you are wanting to get out of it you should be able to squeeze out a few more years of use. I wouldn't spend anymore money upgrading it, maybe a newer better PSU, but nothing else.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_728 View Post
    To answer the first guy, My upgrades were the video card and cpu.
    OVC - EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX 512mb
    OCPU - Intel Core 2 Quad q9450 2.66mhz

And to answer you, my computer was originally built by Velocity Micro in 2008 with windows vista sp1 [now w7 ultimate 64bit] so maybe that explains why it's old and outdated. xD
    so much for reading...

I asked about the POWER SUPPLY, not when the PC was built.

was that link above that I posted, the PSU you have, or some other? the info you posted about your PSU, was inaccurate or incomplete. Thats why I asked.

So, YES or NO, on the PSU?

If No, then post the full info for the PSU.

But if the PSU is indeed that old (2006-2008 range), you should replace that, rather than running a newer video card and OC'd newer hardware on an aging PSU.

from that review link above, it seems it was a good unit back then in 2006, but its label was misrepresented, as being a dual +12V Rail unit, and it was found to be a single rail, and no mention of whether that Dual Rail 240W per rail was actual full combined (480W) wattage, or if the combined wattage was less than that, like many multi rail units.

since it was a single rail, I would assume that it was 480W, but there's no mention of it in the review, and no way really to tell for sure.

ePower made some good PSU's, but many of their newer units these days are low end low price junk for some reason.

As to the CPU, I have to agree with Rich, it was kind of a pointless move to go from the one Quad core to another only 100-200MHz faster.

Especially if you are OCing the latter, which you could of done just as easily on the former.

Like Rich said, unless you just had it lying around, or given to you for free.

Basically if you bought it to replace the other one (assuming the original was still working) it was wasted money that could of been used elsewhere in the build, like a newer better PSU.

No Idea what you paid for the CPU, but from what I have seen of Socket 775 Quad cores still going for, A more beefier PSU, and even maybe a 2nd GTX 460 for SLI Since your Mobo Supports that, could have been bought, which would of drastically improved gaming performance on this system, rather than an incremental minimal Quad core improvement.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Smile

My old cpu fried due to improper amount of thermal paste [which was done by velocity micro], I got the q9550 for 120$ on ebay plus 10 shipping.

The information on the PSU was all I could physically find on the unit

Meh, then I'd replace the PSU, since you can't find any other info on it. No telling how old it is really, or what its actual specs and what not are.

as to the CPU, well that would explain that then.

$120 isn't bad for the replacement, hope it wasn't overclocked and abused prior to you owning it for the price though.

But I agree with Rich, aside from the PSU replacement I wouldn't upgrade much more in this system, other than maybe tossing in a 2nd GTX 460 for SLI, if you got a decent enough PSU Replacement, a good 550-650W PSU is all you'd really need for that.

Antec, Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling are the main recommended brands.

there are some others as well.

but for the single GPU setup.

A Good 400-450W Should suffice.

for any OCing you'll want a unit with good STABLE power as well.

another reason not to skimp on the brand/quality of unit.

if your OCing the C2Q, then a good 550W should be all you really need, and with power to spare.

a GTX 460 SLI setup with your CPU at stock and other parts would probably be under 500W total.

Alright thanks for the advice! I'm just gonna keep a single GPU because I'm not a hardcore gamer or editor, I dabble in HD editing and gaming and tend to multi-task a lot and I noticed the quad core is the only real solution to High cpu-taxing applications running side by side, such as screen recording in HD. Anyways, I really do appreciate the help!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information