+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do I connect case fan directly to outlet?

I don't even know if this can be done...

Is there a way I can directly connect a case fan (2 wires) to an outlet cord?

those fans run on DC power...a cord would provide AC power...even if there is an adapter...its' EXTREME overkill.
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe | AMD AthlonXP 2600+ | 512mb Corsair XMS Extreme DDR

You can only do it if it's an AC fan.

Why can't you just connect it to your computer's power supply?

I am Actually trying to "low-cost" my way through a duct exhaust project\test. I have three of them laying around and a couple feet of ducting so... Why not?

(The answer to the why not is what I guess I am here for)

Ultimate sumfin i guess Omardeth's Avatar
    Originally posted by Are-Oh-Bee
    I am Actually trying to "low-cost" my way through a duct exhaust project\test. I have three of them laying around and a couple feet of ducting so... Why not?

(The answer to the why not is what I guess I am here for)
    low cost ? case fans are like 1-5$ each i don't understand ?

I already have the fans and ducting. Now all I need is a way other than the computer to power the fans.

Another option is to run a secondary power supply independant of the computer...or if you have space, inside of it...not hard to do and you can use any old cheap or low powered PSU to do it!
    If your interested I can give you any info. you need to do it easily.

Leader of the Crab People Redwolf's Avatar
    Radioshack I know sells 120volt fans for pretty cheap.

For your fans, you don't have to have a computer PS to give power to them. If it provides 12 volts, and isn't high amperage, then it will run the fans just fine. If your fans have a blue wire, just clip it off, it's for fan monitors.

Sounds easy enough...

And I should be able to run all the fans... If not I can link them to the same wire right??

Is somthing burning>>

well if they are case fans u need dc power like the others said . get a cheap power supply to run them . you will have to "trick" it to make it work because it isn't pluged into a motherboard . or a converter to convert ac to dc but they would cost alot more than just hooking them up to your exsisting ps or another . a at power supply from an old system will work fine and you can get them for next to nothing i bet at local comp shop . for free even or a dollar .
    " If you kill a man you're a murderer ..... Kill many and you're a conquerer ....... Kill them all ... your a GOD...."

What does the AT Stand For???

Sorry... My picture can be found in the dictionary under Rookie, newblood.. etc etc

it is the old format for pc's that isn't used anymore . ask JPMiller about adding another power supply to your system for lights , fans . he has a rig that is modded that way . he could explain it best i have never modded a pc in my life .
    " If you kill a man you're a murderer ..... Kill many and you're a conquerer ....... Kill them all ... your a GOD...."

Thank You all for your help. I have found the answer.

I will be going to the local PC shop and if not there to COMP USA for an AT PSU. (AT being cheeper than the ATX being that is is made for a P1 Mobo and ATX for P2 and above) The Newbie is learnin... Thanks again..

http://www.speedy3d.com/articles/cas...p3/index.shtml
    http://www.thetechboard.com/tutorials/atx.php
    Go with cheapest as it does not matter about power consumption.

sam
    if you hav a old cell phone charger laying around you can just cut off the phone end strip the wires and connect to the fan wires they are usually around 8 vdc and that will work for a fan

If you want an exhaust fan, just go to Home Depot. The loud-as-hell ones start at about $10 or so and you just wire them to a circuit in your house. They'll move MUCH more air than any PC fan and you won't have to play around with the PSU and everything to get it to work.
    About 5% of the people in the world can't think.
    Another 5% can think and do.
    The remaining 90% can think, but don't.

ive used a transformer that has adjustable voltage. i believe i bought it at walmart. im running a 120mm fan behind all my entertainment equipment to help keep them cool. the being able to adjust the volts is nice cause i have it going fast enough to move air but quiet. you can use any transfomer that comes with any electronical device i believe. the way i played around with it was to take the red wire from my fan and strip it a little and stick it in the hole of the power plug and then i electrical taped the black (or was it the other way around) to the outside of the plug. and then i plugged the transformer in and walla a powered fan. if you dont know what a transformer is it is that big black box that is on the plug in side of you a cord that goes to a sell phone or a hub. they usually have the voltage written on them some where. you dont need any more than 12 volts sense a psu doesnt even put that much out a molex connector. an 18 volt power supply would probly burn up the fan in no time. you can run more than on fan off of the transformer too. good luck and post pics
    Last edited by ccoldwater; June 18th, 2003 at 12:43 AM.
    Coldwater

I did that last year in school to cool a little cabinet a system was in...tore apart an AT PSU, connected 6 80mm and 92mm fans in a chain, and let it go
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe | AMD AthlonXP 2600+ | 512mb Corsair XMS Extreme DDR

cell phone idea is great idea . maybe me think why not go to a thrift shop and get a old razor, curling iron , what ever . something that has a tranformer coverter in it . toy car battery charger . i bet you can get one from thrift shop for under a buck . but whatever you do dont't buy a new pc power supply . and not retail at like compusa or anything they will want like 40$ for the cheapest pos they got . if you want to use a power supply from a pc get one on ebay or local computer shop . i bet the computer shop will get ya an old pos one for free if ya ask nice .

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information