+ Reply to Thread

Wink Cleaning Artic Silver

Ok, I've tried Isopropyl alcohol to clean artic silver off of my chip. The die is easy to clean, but what about the chip itself? The ceramic part.

From the Arctic Silver Website;

Removal Instructions (From Hardware)
    1. Arctic Silver II can easily be removed from hardware using the proper cleaners and tools. For general clean-up, a cloth or paper towel will work well. Intricate cleaning can be accomplished with Q-tip swabs. An old toothbrush can often get the compound out of crevices that other tools cannot reach.

The recommended cleaners are:

CPU Core:

Use isopropyl alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover) and a bit of careful rubbing.
    (If you use acetone, do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol.)

Heatsink:

Use xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners.) or mineral spirits.

Remember:
    Once you have applied a thermal grease or melted a thermal pad onto a heatsink, it is impossible to remove all of the grease or pad from the microscopic valleys in the heatsink using standard cleaning chemicals and paper or fabric towels. Any subsequent thermal material will be applied over the remnants of the original material.

Never use any oil or petroleum based cleaners (WD-40, citrus based grease removers and many automotive degreasers) on the base of a heatsink. The oil, which is engineered to not evaporate, will fill in the microscopic valleys in the metal and significantly reduce the effectiveness of any subsequently applied thermal compound.

CPU Ceramic:

Use any of the following cleaners.

Any dish detergent (Dawn, Lux, Palmolive, Etc.)
    Do not use soap for an automatic dishwasher to clean a CPU.

WD-40, citrus based grease removers (Goo Gone, Etc.)

Xylene based products (Goof Off, some carburetor cleaners and many brake cleaners)

Mineral spirits. (Be careful to keep the mineral spirits away from the core.)

Once the majority of the compound has been removed from the ceramic, small patches remaining on the ceramic can be 'erased' with a soft eraser.

2. If you use any of the suggested products to remove Arctic Silver II from the CPU ceramic or heatsink base, always do a final cleaning with isopropyl alcohol to remove any residue from the cleaner.

Ultimate Member
    I use a eraser from a pencil you have to keep wiping the eraser off with a rag but it will remove ALL the Arctic silver
    I keep forgetting what I thought I knew ?

dish detergent Works great.
    I had some ASII get on my chip, I got some dishwashing detergent, put alittle on some paper and got a lint free cloth and barely had any on it and wiped right off.

I use Goo-Gone and a Q-Tip. The ASII pretty much turns into the consistency of rubber cement and ballsd up and comes off pretty easily. Then I rinse with some 97% denatured alcohol and let it dry.
    There's only two things in life. But I forget what they are.

I usually am wearing an old shirt so i just lick my shirt and whipe it off and it works fine for me.

~Joel
    P43.0C@3.75Ghz1.82v
    AsusP4C800EDeluxe250Mhzfsb
    74GBRaptor120GBWDSE160GBSamsung
    Water cooling by Dangerden

mickwish
    Originally posted by jl123
    I usually am wearing an old shirt so i just lick my shirt and whipe it off and it works fine for me.

~Joel
    ROFL Joel !

There's one use for saliva I'd never have thought of!

I heard of someone who used one of the citrus-based removers and then blew their chip when they turned it on. Something about conductivity across the bridges I think

Be careful whatever you use.

Where can I get the chemicals mentioned in this thread?

Originally posted by Vanguarde
    Where can I get the chemicals mentioned in this thread?
    Xylene and Acetone should be available at any well-stocked paint supplies shop. Same goes for the Denatured Alcohol and Mineral Spirits.

Using "Nail polish remover" as a source of acetone is NOT what I would do. Nail polish removers usually have additives to keep them wet longer (stay on the nail longer to cut through the polish) + skin conditioners (to help reduce the possibility of skin irritation when used). That is probably why the Arctic Silver article quoted mentions doing a final clean with Isopropyl alcohol after using acetone.

You should also be able to find 90%vol Isopropyl alcohol at your local druggist. That stuff is fine... just leave a bit more time to let the 10%vol (that is) distilled water evaporate.

If you use any of the other stuff mentioned (Mineral Spirits, WD-40, Carb Cleaner, Citrus cleaner, etc.) I would always follow up with a final cleaning using Acetone or Isopropyl alcohol.

I also would not use Saliva ( ), since there's all kinds of cr*p in that stuff!
    jmichna
    Last edited by jmichna; June 26th, 2002 at 08:51 AM.
    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; It's just that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan

Ok! After hunting around in my local mall yesterday, I came up with these two things! Erhm... I would love for our chemo master to perhaps suggest which of the two is best to use? I* really do not want to bork up my new 500 buck P4 chip , and have never cleaner thermal grease off a cpu before! *gulp*

Ok this is what I bought:

Isopropyl Alcohol 91% by volume , rest of it is distilled water

Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol 70% With inactive ingredients acetone, denatonium benzoate, methyl isobutyl ketone and distilled water

Which one should I use?

and what kind of cloth should I use to do the actual cleaning?

Vanguarde, i would go with the 91% isopropyl....

JayMan

Vanguarde, doesn't the P4s have the large metal heat spreaders??

I've never used anything other than Isopropyl alcohol to clean up thermal compounds. I don't think it will damage any of the components it comes in contact with.

WD-40 has worked great for me getting AS off of the ceramic part. Then clean of the oily residue with acetone or isopropyl alchohol.

Originally posted by Vanguarde
    Ok! After hunting around in my local mall yesterday, I came up with these two things! Erhm... I would love for our chemo master to perhaps suggest which of the two is best to use? I* really do not want to bork up my new 500 buck P4 chip , and have never cleaner thermal grease off a cpu before! *gulp*

Ok this is what I bought:

Isopropyl Alcohol 91% by volume , rest of it is distilled water

Ethyl Rubbing Alcohol 70% With inactive ingredients acetone, denatonium benzoate, methyl isobutyl ketone and distilled water

Which one should I use?

and what kind of cloth should I use to do the actual cleaning?
    Go with the 91% Isopropyl alcohol.

Sorry for the late response... been rebuilding my system (no mobo, cpu, ram... some problems... also had to reinstall all progs... plus work keeps interfering
    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; It's just that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information