+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation AMD dual-core opteron

Check this out.

http://news.com.com/AMDs+dual-core+O...l?tag=nefd.top

Who in their right mind would pay that much for a cpu??? I take that back I think there are a couple in here with more money than cense.

um..thats not new news that server chips (let alone dual core) cost alot. Intel xeons are just as expensive as that 200 series. But yes, they will be a little pricy to start (like everything).
    -Space

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roosta21
    I take that back I think there are a couple in here with more money than cense.
    No, they are called enthusiasts, people buy a fast 200,000 sports car. Does that mean they dont have any sense? (cense = sense btw )
    Last edited by SoloCamo; April 8th, 2005 at 06:39 PM.
    Main PC: Intel i7 4790k / 16gb DDR3 2400 / Sapphire R9 290X / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Box: Intel Pentium G3258 / 4gb DDR3 1600 / Lubuntu 64bit
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430 / Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667 / Lubuntu 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by SoloCamo
    No, they are called enthusiasts, people buy a fast 200,000 sports car. Does that mean they dont have any sense?
    oh snap

Good point. Some people are willing to pay more for a dual Xeon system. The opterons are mostly constricted to the server world, where dual-cores would be handy. Not that many workstations use opterons.
    -Space

yeah, the 800 series is especially only meant for high end servers that can cost tens of thousands of dollars right now using current chips.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SoloCamo
    No, they are called enthusiasts, people buy a fast 200,000 sports car. Does that mean they dont have any sense? (cense = sense btw )

Seems lik you are always against me solocamo. I bet most people that buy 200,000 sports cars are multi millionairs and it is just a very small percentage of their income. It just seems silly that some people spend over 5,000 bucks on a pc that will depreciate quicker than about any other product on the market. But maybe there are lots of people in here that are making mega bucks in the triple digits. I know that i am not one of them.

Blog Entries
    no one said i was against you, i just happen to disagree sometimes with your posts...
    200,000 is an exxageration, my point was that if people want it, doesnt mean they have no sense. You dont have to be a rich person to want something and or buy something expensive, it all matters on how much you want it and or need it. It's like whats the point of a father buying a sports car, when he has a family and bills to pay? He enjoys it that is why. (not the greatest point but i hope you get it.)

if you want dual cores for not such a high price wait for the pentium D....the 820 will be only around $240

i'm sure AMD will realease the toledo and have something similarly priced a little after that but dual cores are most benificial in the areas where the prescott leads
    Hey who turned sigs on?

Doesn't the software need to have a special code to take advantage of 2 CPU's, kind of like HT (hyper threading).

Yes the program has to be multithreaded, but general multitasking will be improved alot anyway.
    (\(\
    (o'.')
    (,,)('')('')

Seems lik you are always against me solocamo. I bet most people that buy 200,000 sports cars are multi millionairs and it is just a very small percentage of their income.
    You actually said exactly why some people buy opterons like this. These chips aren't bought and used by individuals...they are bought by companies that need heavy duty servers. This is equivalent to an 18-wheeler, not a sports car. They're not cheap at all...but they can do things an f-150 can't. There aren't people who need them as commuter cars, but certain businesses do and nothing else will suffice. Same thing with the opteron. It was never meant to be for personal use, and in fact is slower than an athlon in general personal use stuff like gaming.

So 1 CPU can handle the OS and another could handle a game?

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roosta21
    Seems lik you are always against me solocamo. I bet most people that buy 200,000 sports cars are multi millionairs and it is just a very small percentage of their income. It just seems silly that some people spend over 5,000 bucks on a pc that will depreciate quicker than about any other product on the market. But maybe there are lots of people in here that are making mega bucks in the triple digits. I know that i am not one of them.
    if you're only making tripple digit figures... You're below poverty level. Imagine living off of a maximum of $999 per year.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RamonGTP
    if you're only making tripple digit figures... You're below poverty level. Imagine living off of a maximum of $999 per year.
    haha he actually caught that

Quote Originally Posted by RamonGTP
    SNAP!

lol, nice call man
    -Space

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information