+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cpu overclock

Wink cpu overclock

I have a q9550 and i would like to get it to a stable 3.4ghz but what i am looking for is if anyone would know what would be a good voltage to set up. I have set my fsb at 1600ghz and a bus of 400mhz with a muilt of 8.5.
    I have a evga 790i sli ftw digital MoBo and ocz faitality ddr3 1333mhz ram but i am NOT looking to overclock that. runs well enough for me!
    Just looking to see if anyone can assist me on pointing out good voltages for my cpu.
    Thanks
    Brad

Quote Originally Posted by brad97439 View Post
    I have a q9550 and i would like to get it to a stable 3.4ghz but what i am looking for is if anyone would know what would be a good voltage to set up. I have set my fsb at 1600ghz and a bus of 400mhz with a muilt of 8.5.
    I have a evga 790i sli ftw digital MoBo and ocz faitality ddr3 1333mhz ram but i am NOT looking to overclock that. runs well enough for me!
    Just looking to see if anyone can assist me on pointing out good voltages for my cpu.
    Thanks
    Brad

you said it runs fine for you. if that's the case i would leave it. also have a 790I MOBO, and they are very good mobo's, OC'ing reduces the life of the cpu and mobo's. Are you gaming? or video editing? or cad drawing? or heavy adobe user? if not i don't see the point in OC'ing. But one of the other members will be able to give you specs.
    Last edited by xfxmonkey; March 10th, 2010 at 08:57 AM.
    ~ Oogaly Boogaly ~

yes i game and Adobe... but my memory runs fine enough for me.. but my cpu will not run stable under load.. that is why i am looking in to finding someone that can give me a idea of proper voltages.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brad97439 View Post
    yes i game and Adobe... but my memory runs fine enough for me.. but my cpu will not run stable under load.. that is why i am looking in to finding someone that can give me a idea of proper voltages.
    Welcome to TechIMO!

I take it you are using stock volts?

What are you temperatures, and how far does it get until it locks up?

OC'in is a matter of trial and error...you have to start in baby steps. If your temps are ok, bump the volts up to the next level above stock settings, and do testing. I personally never go above one notch over stock, even if it means I have to run 100mhz slower...I'd rather have a cooler, stable, cpu.
    Main PC: Intel i7 4790k/ 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

Well it wouldn't run at stock volts with a 1600mhz fsb.. but i have upped my volts up and down and was able to boot and run just about everything but when i would run occt and prime 95 i would get error messages with in 40seconds after it does the 1min idle run.. can figure out why.. so i would figure it is cause some of my cores are not getting the proper voltage.. but one i clear my cmos and pull the battery and run occt i have no issues....
    As far as temps go i idle about 28-29c and under full load 100% i will hit 50c

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As Solo said you need to slowly bump your speeds, test then bump some more, not just cram it into over drive and go. Lots of people show good results on OC the E0 revision of that chip at upwards of 3.8ghz on stock voltages so you might have something else holding you back. Thus the need to start slow and work it up. You might also post the detail on your settings.

have you adjusted your pci-e clock? set it to 100mhz?
    adjusted the pci clock synch
    tried different ram ratios?

google has lots of threads with people that have detailed info on just what you want intel q9550 overclocking - Google Search

but like i said most people report hitting 3.4, 3.6 even 3.8 on stock voltages.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; March 10th, 2010 at 04:34 PM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xfxmonkey View Post
    OC'ing reduces the life of the cpu and mobo's
    Negligible. Hell even the mobo manufacturers EXPECT you to overclock nowdays. Even though my socket 1366 board stated that it supports 1600 MHz memory the only way I will see that with my 920 i7 is if I OC.

Will OC'ing shorten the life of your hardware? Heat kills electronics period and therein lies your problem and solution. To what lengths do you want to go for 10% - 25 % more in SOME applications?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information