+ Reply to Thread

Question I really want to know on how to enable my hyperthreading and install my second Cpu

I am having some trouble because I have like no idea on how to enable my hyperthreading or install my second cpu. But I already set my ACPI to Multiprocessor in my Device Manager, but that didn't help for me at all. And I only have 1 Cpu graph showing in my Task Manager right now. But what I really want is 2 Cpu graphs to show up in my task manager a lot! I also tried to edit my bootloader, but it didn't work for me at all. My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 with a Pentium 4 processor. And the gigahertz speed of it is about 2.80. But my Pentium 4 processor is not that new. It is older. So what I am thinking is that it may not support hyperthreading. I actually looked up these Pentium 4 processors on the Intel site, and it said that the 3.06 Gigahertz Pentium 4 processors support hyperthreading technology. It said that right on the box of the processor. And then the 2.80 gigahertz Pentium 4 processor said that there was no hyperthreading technology support on this box. I bet because it is older than the 3.06 gigahertz one. Oh well. But I found out that there are 2 kinds of Pentium 4 processors which are 2.80 gigahertz. And one said it supports hyperthreading technology. And the other Pentium 4 said it did not have hyperthreading technology. But all I am saying is that I hope my computer has hyperthreading technology support. I think that it might have it for sure, but the problem is that I cannot seem to install the second Cpu or to enable my hyperthreading. And my bios is really old and outdated too! It says that my bios is like from 2004. And that's not good at all. And I do not even have a hyperthreading technology option in my bios to enable or disable it. Now that is really bad! I am so upset with this. But I looked up my computer online which was Dell Dimension 4600, and it said it came with hyperthreading technology support. So why can't I get the second Cpu graph to show up in my Task Manager for? Because I only have one 1 cpu graph. And I really want 2 cpu graphs! So please help me out here on this awful situation that I am in, and please guide me through this so that I can enable my hyperthreading and install my second cpu. Because I looked up my computer and it said that is has hyperthreading technology. So I am really sure that is correct. Well anyway, sorry for this long letter, but I am trying to make a point here on what I am saying so that you really understand what is going on here. Because I so upset frustrated about this. So what should I really put into mt bootloader? So just explain to me on what to put into my bootloader so that I can finally see 2 Cpu graphs in my Task Manager. Then I will be much happier, that's for sure. So there you have it. And please write back to me as soon as you possibly can. So this way I will know on how to enable my hyperthrading and also have at least 2 Cpu graphs in my task manager showing up. So don't forget to get back to me as soon as possible. And I will be waiting for my response from you very soon!

1. Verify your pentium supports hyperthreading/dual core, I suggest you download CPUID which is a utility that will tell you what exactly you have. CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Once you are assured that you have a processor that has 2 or more cores, you can try Going back into bios, and find hyper-threading. IF you have a multi-core processor, it IS there somewhere, but I dont know exactly where you need to look. BUT, If you don't see an option in the BIOS it's because your system/CPU does not support it.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanllgg50 View Post
    I am having some trouble because I have like no idea on how to enable my hyperthreading or install my second cpu.

But I already set my ACPI to Multiprocessor in my Device Manager, but that didn't help for me at all.

And I only have 1 Cpu graph showing in my Task Manager right now.

But what I really want is 2 Cpu graphs to show up in my task manager a lot!

I also tried to edit my bootloader, but it didn't work for me at all.

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 with a Pentium 4 processor.

And the gigahertz speed of it is about 2.80.

But my Pentium 4 processor is not that new.

It is older.

So what I am thinking is that it may not support hyperthreading.

I actually looked up these Pentium 4 processors on the Intel site, and it said that the 3.06 Gigahertz Pentium 4 processors support hyperthreading technology.

It said that right on the box of the processor.

And then the 2.80 gigahertz Pentium 4 processor said that there was no hyperthreading technology support on this box.

I bet because it is older than the 3.06 gigahertz one.

Oh well.

But I found out that there are 2 kinds of Pentium 4 processors which are 2.80 gigahertz.

And one said it supports hyperthreading technology.

And the other Pentium 4 said it did not have hyperthreading technology.

But all I am saying is that I hope my computer has hyperthreading technology support.

I think that it might have it for sure, but the problem is that I cannot seem to install the second Cpu or to enable my hyperthreading.

And my bios is really old and outdated too!

It says that my bios is like from 2004.

And that's not good at all.

And I do not even have a hyperthreading technology option in my bios to enable or disable it.

Now that is really bad!

I am so upset with this.

But I looked up my computer online which was Dell Dimension 4600, and it said it came with hyperthreading technology support.

So why can't I get the second Cpu graph to show up in my Task Manager for?

Because I only have one 1 cpu graph.

And I really want 2 cpu graphs!

So please help me out here on this awful situation that I am in, and please guide me through this so that I can enable my hyperthreading and install my second cpu.

Because I looked up my computer and it said that is has hyperthreading technology.

So I am really sure that is correct.

Well anyway, sorry for this long letter, but I am trying to make a point here on what I am saying so that you really understand what is going on here.

Because I so upset frustrated about this.

So what should I really put into mt bootloader?

So just explain to me on what to put into my bootloader so that I can finally see 2 Cpu graphs in my Task Manager.

Then I will be much happier, that's for sure.

So there you have it.

And please write back to me as soon as you possibly can.

So this way I will know on how to enable my hyperthrading and also have at least 2 Cpu graphs in my task manager showing up.

So don't forget to get back to me as soon as possible.

And I will be waiting for my response from you very soon!

MY GOD, this Post makes some of my Long Winded Replies and Sometimes Mindless Ramblings look completely Coherent...

I had to Break up that thing into separate Sentences each. So We could digest each thing and still understand what the heck your on about.

Anyways...

HyperThreading on the Old Pentium 4 Series was a complete Waste anyways, even if the software your using supported it, it wasn't generally considered worth it, the miniscule performance boost you got from it.

Even on the newer Core i3. i5 and i7 Intel CPU's and Intel Atom CPU's, its really not all that beneficial, and only in rare situations does it really help out.

a 2nd or more Dedicated CPU Core will always be better, even a 2nd CPU it self if the motherboard supported Dual Sockets, would be better.

Also reading from your MASS of text post, it sounds like your completely confusing what Hyperthreading is.

You do not install a 2nd Processor, nor does Hyperthreading add a 2nd Processor.

All it allows you to do is run 2 Process Threads on a Single CPU core, the Operating system will see it as 2 Cores, when its only one.

Thats why for example, my Quad core, 4 Physical Cores, shows as 8 in Windows (See attached Pic).

If Your CPU supports HT, the CPU is installed, its just a matter of whether its on or off, via the Motherboards Bios.

If its On, you should have 2 CPU graphs in Windows Task manager.

For Windows 7, Bring up Task manager, go to Performance Tab, click on View Drop down menu item, Go to CPU History, then click on one graph per CPU, and it should show two graphs for each Processing Thread (Virtually 2 CPU's).

Alternately you can right click on any given Process in the Process's tab, go to Set Affinity Option, and if it shows CPU 0 and CPU 1 for CPU's that the Process uses, you have HT enabled, if it only shows CPU 0, HT is not enabled.

(See 2nd Attached Pic)

Also you mentioned your system SUPPORTS Hyperthreading, that DOES NOT Mean it HAS Hyperthreading.

HT is a Two part feature, the CPU has to Support it and Have it, and the Motherboard has to Support it.

HT is CPU bound as far as the actual Feature goes, but the Motherboard has to be able to utilize it (turn it on and off) to use it, etc.

You've mentioned your system supports it.

So that means, you have to find out if your CPU actually has it, if it doesn't, then you simply CAN NOT use HT, and thats that.

if you CPU ACTUALLY DOES have it, then you will need to turn it on in the Motherboards Bios to enable it. if it isn't already.

Download the program Vern posted in his reply, take a screen shot of the main tab in that program, and upload the picture here.

But Let me reiterate Hyper Threading and Dual CPU's or Dual CPU Cores are NOT the Same thing. Hyper Threading is a Single CPU Core Feature. However for example with More Current Intels, it can be applied to EACH CPU core on a Multicore CPU, Dual Core with HT, has 4 Processing Threads, Quad core has 8, Six Core has 12, etc.

Your System SUPPORTS it, but that does not mean the same that It HAS it.

you'll need to find out if your CPU HAS it or not first, then go from there.

but what I'd like to know, is WHY you are so adamant about needing to enable HT on your CPU?

What are you using your system for that it needs to be enabled?

If your needing something with Dual CPU's, then save up some money and buy a Cheap more modern Dual Core System, $300-400 would be enough for a really basic Dual core system, and would be leaps and bounds over anything your current PC would even be capable of.

A $50 Modern AMD Dual Core CPU would be miles and miles better than even a Pentium D Dual Core that from roughly the same era as your Hyperthreading Capable System.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I really want to know on how to enable my hyperthreading and install my second Cpu-untitled-1.jpg   I really want to know on how to enable my hyperthreading and install my second Cpu-untitled-2.jpg  
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 with a Pentium 4 processor. And the gigahertz speed of it is about 2.80. But my Pentium 4 processor is not that new.
    Download, unzip and run CPUZ. If it says the Rated FSB is 533MHz the processor does not support Hyperthreading. Only the 800MHz FSB version of the 2.8GHz P4 had HT.
    What computer do you have? And please don't say a white one. - Sheldon Cooper

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information